Sign in to follow this  
francispattugalan

ILS problems for 777

Hi sir,

I just want to ask a question regarding on my experiences with the ILS for your 777. Im having some problems whenever i go off track of the STAR so that i can take a shorter route but every time i do this, the ILS frequency disappears on my PFD. If i follow the STAR the ILS frequency is still on my PFD and it follows the LOC. One other thing, if i go off track of the STAR and try to line up on the ILS, every time i press the LOC, i can see a HDG on the bottom of LOC. I just want to know on how to do an ILS approach if i go of track of the STAR. 

I hope to hear from you, sir.

Thanks, Francis

I just want to know on how to do an ILS approach if i go of track of the STAR.

Whenever you decide to make the approach, line select the first waypoint of the approach to the scatchpad, then line select it to the top of the waypoints listed on CDU and execute. Immediately press the LNAV button.

First and last names are required in all PMDG Forums - http://www.avsim.com/topic/458101-guidelines-for-participation-in-the-pmdg-forum-please-read/.

Hi pcubine,

i will give this a try! Also, i just want to clarify, if i line select a waypoint and then press EXEC, will the ILS frequency show up? And why does the ILS frequecy sometimes disappear?

Thanks,

Francis

No more answers until you sign your first and last name to your posts.

Set it up so that is done automatically. Click on your user name in upper right corner, click on My Profile, click on Edit My Profile, click on Signature, in Edit Signature enter your first and last name, click save and your name will be on all of your posts.

i just want to clarify, if i line select a waypoint and then press EXEC, will the ILS frequency show up?

No it will usually show up after an approach is selected and you are within range of the ILS.

why does the ILS frequecy sometimes disappear?

You are out of range possibly.  You can always insert the frequency manually into the NAV Radio page of the CDU.

Sean Green

No it will usually show up after an approach is selected and you are within range of the ILS.

You are out of range possibly.  You can always insert the frequency manually into the NAV Radio page of the CDU.

I believe you are incorrect. The frequency and course will shown on the PFD when an ILS Approach is part of the active route and the plane is either within 50 miles of T/D, 150 mile from the landing runway, or the FMC is in the descent mode. Receiving the ILS signal has nothing to do with it. From FCOM2, page 11.20.13.

I just want to ask a question regarding on my experiences with the ILS for your 777. Im having some problems whenever i go off track of the STAR so that i can take a shorter route but every time i do this, the ILS frequency disappears on my PFD. If i follow the STAR the ILS frequency is still on my PFD and it follows the LOC. One other thing, if i go off track of the STAR and try to line up on the ILS, every time i press the LOC, i can see a HDG on the bottom of LOC. I just want to know on how to do an ILS approach if i go of track of the STAR.

Hi, Francis,

After reading through this thread it's unclear to me what you are doing.  I often take a shortcut while flying a STAR and often eliminate the initial waypoint of an ILS approach, without the autotuned frequency disappearing.  So let me go over a few things:

A STAR is an arrival that sets you up for the final approach.  A STAR will end either with a transition waypoint to the final approach, or with VECTORS, which means you have to be vectored by ATC or vector yourself to the first waypoint of the final approach.  So the STAR and the final approach are two different things.  The STAR ends at or before the beginning of the final approach.  (From a VECTORS waypoint, you may have to fly using heading select until you are in a good position to aim for the initial waypoint of your final approach.  You can eliminate the VECTORS waypoint by selecting the first waypoint of the final approach as your next waypoint.)

Before you are close to the arrival airport, first you select your final approach which is for a specific runway. Then you select your STAR.  This is because some STARs are not available for all runways, so when you select your final approach/runway, the inappropriate STARs won't show up any more as choices.

If the final approach you select is labelled "ILS" it will autotune the ILS frequency as Michael described above. (If you select another type of approach, such as an RNAV or VOR approach, the ILS frequency will NOT be autotuned.) Deleting some or all waypoints in the STAR won't affect the final approach or the tuned ILS frequency.  Even choosing to go direct to an intermediate waypoint on the final approach, instead of the initial one, won't delete the autotuned frequency, in my experience.

The other thing to be aware of, is that there can be a discrepancy between the ILS frequency autotuned by the FMC, and the frequency in the FSX scenery.  This is because the scenery is old and the FMC is using recent data.  In that case you won't see the localizer or GS indications on the PFD or ND (or you may land on the wrong runway!). This is not an autotune problem.  You can check by opening up the FSX map and comparing the frequency there to the frequency autotuned by the FMC.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi mike,

Thanks for all the info! One other thing, everytime i select the LOC it doesnt follow the right heading for the runway and same as APP? Does both LNAV and VNAV must be armed before arming LOC and APP? If i experience that the ILS frequency disappears, can i input the frequency on the FMC?

Thanks,

Francis

Does both LNAV and VNAV must be armed before arming LOC and APP? If i experience that the ILS frequency disappears, can i input the frequency on the FMC?

Neither LNAV or VNAV needs to be engaged. You could be in Heading Select, V/S, Speed, Flight Level Change. It makes no difference. You can enter the frequency and heading in the FMC but the ILS frequency or heading should never disappear from the PFD. If it disappears you are doing something incorrectly.

One other thing, everytime i select the LOC it doesnt follow the right heading for the runway and same as APP?

You may have a scenery problem, specifically more than one AFCAD (runway and airport nav info) file for the same airport.  Please give the specific airport and runway where this is happening.

Does both LNAV and VNAV must be armed before arming LOC and APP?

No.  For vertical mode you can be in VNAV, FLCH (flight level change) or VS (vertical speed) or Altitude hold. For horizontal mode you can be in LNAV, Heading Hold or Heading Select.   If you have APP pressed and you intercept the localizer followed by the glideslope, it will follow both.  You should always check the FMA at the top of the PFD to see what are the active vertical and horizontal modes, and what modes are armed

If i experience that the ILS frequency disappears, can i input the frequency on the FMC?

Yes, along with the final approach course heading, but in most cases it shouldn't be necessary.

Francis, I think you have not done the tutorial that comes with the PMDG 777.  You aren't going to be able to learn to fly it just by asking questions.  Also, you need to give the specific airport, runway, frequency, and heading where you are having a problem.

Mike

Neither LNAV or VNAV needs to be engaged. You could be in Heading Select, V/S, Speed, Flight Level Change. It makes no difference. You can enter the frequency and heading in the FMC but the ILS frequency or heading should never disappear from the PFD. If it disappears you are doing something incorrectly.

Michael, can you point Francis to Kyle's tutorial 1.5?  I can only find his original Sept. 2013 video.

Thanks,

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2