Sign in to follow this  
tamba765

Force Feedback Not Working on Sidewinder Joy Stick

I have a Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick which was working fine until recently. I recently upgraded to Windows 10. When the computer is on WITHOUT FSX running, the force feed back works. As soon as I boot up FSX, it stops. The controller works OK, but I can't get any force feedback. I've tried disconnecting and reconnecting and have also reset the forces in the controller tab of the setting menu multiple times. I can't get it to work.  I've seen driver downloads, available online, but I don't know if these are legitimate or just scammers. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks. 

Pete Locascio

I've seen driver downloads, available online, but I don't know if these are legitimate or just scammers.

You don't need any drivers to use the MS FF2 joystick in Windows 10 - it's simply plug & play. You say that the forces are working outside of FSX so it would appear not to be a hardware problem. However, just to confirm, you may want to download a small program to test the forces - http://fs-force.com/support.htm#ForceTest. While you're on the site, take a look at FS Force. If you don't already use FS Force in FSX you're really not experiencing your joystick at its best. I would highly recommend it, particularly as the default FSX forces are so bad (I have no affiliations to the author). You can download a trial version which only works in the Seattle area but would be enough to establish whether or not it would get your joystick working again in FSX - http://fs-force.com/index.htm.

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit

I agree with vortex681, FS Force is definitely the better option for ffb inside either FSX or P3D. I have been using it since April.

I am enjoying feeling not just weight of the control surfaces, but also feeling that weight increase/decrease in coordination with the airspeed changing. It is an excellent add on for those with real ffb controllers. (versus something like a game pad) 

FS Force says it will install trim gauges on the aircraft. I use the PMDG 777 exclusively, and I don't want any third party gauges to be displayed. Are these gauges visible or just an invisible tool used by FS Force. Thanks.

Pete Locascio

The FS Force gauge is a small rectangular window that will only display while the trim switch is being pressed. On a side note,

you should check with the developer for information on using FS Force with PMDG aircraft. ie, autopilot following will only work with aircraft that use the default autopilot. Some users have reported having issues engaging the autopilot on PMDG aircraft. 

Since reloading all my software, I'm running FSX and the addon programs as Administrator. Could this be the cause of the controller malfunction? I do get the ground bumps effect however, so I doubt it, but who knows.

Do you know if any changes in the FSX.cfg file could make a difference? As I said earlier, I get the force feedback in the elevators and ailerons when FSX is not running. It only disappears when FSX loads up. Thanks.

Pete Locascio