Sign in to follow this  
Louis8

Blue screen of death

I don't know if this 737Ng  is too much airplane for my system but a couple of times now loading it up,- just now in Toronto ready to taxi out and a while back almost on landing the ol' girl seizes up and goes blue screen .When i load it up i have it saved cold and dark and i don't load up any other aircraft first , i go straight to this NG. like PMDG recomends .Plus  almost everytime the screen goes black after it loads up and i have to put my mouse over the fsx icon on the bottom tool bar push  'shift and Ctrl 'together and click' Maximize' to bring the sim  up .No problem with any other aircraft just this 737 Ng for some reason .I don't have any other PMDG aircraft and the rest are  general like Carenado  and A2A 

Asus P6T X58 w/ Triple DDR3 2000, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan,1394,PCI-E,3 way CrossFireX/SLI

Mushkin XP3-12800 Xtreme Performance Redline DDR3 SDRAM (6-7-6-18), 6GB Triple Channel Kit

INTEL D Core i7 975 Extreme 3.2 GHz w/8MB Cache

Western Digital Veloci Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm SATA II w/ 16MB cache (2 of these)

Geforce GTX 670  4GB -GDDR5 memory -superclocked PCI Express3.0

ANTEC Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case 9( Monster)

ANTEC TruePower Quattro 1000W power supply

LG Super Multi security DCD writer 22x SATA, Black

I don't know if this 737Ng  is too much airplane for my system but a couple of times now loading it up just now in Toronto ready to taxi out and a while back almost on landing the ol' girl seizes up and goes blue screen .

It's highly unlikely that it's the aircraft. What I'm guessing is that it's exacerbated by the aircraft and sim by the complexity of both, but at its core is an error/issue with one of your drivers. For me, it was my graphics drivers. Make sure to make note of the error that the BSOD references when it crashes.

Kyle Rodgers

The AVSIM CTD Guide has information on how to fix BSOD's.  BSOD's are related to hardware issues and mostly are caused due to bad or incompatible drivers for a piece of hardware.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Ok that's way more then i knew, and i'll check the BSOD when she all goes blue but i don't know when it will happen a again . I had no idea what i was looking at .Thanks 

Look for the faulting process or module - it will likely end with .exe or .sys; that should give you a good clue.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Check my thread "Blue Screen after 15 minutes."

These guys especially Jim helped me get to the root of the problem. I updated all my drivers, least of which and hardest to do is the BIOS--you can probably fix your problem without updating the BIOS.

I purchased DriverAgentPlus, and it does a scan of your system and you can download and update the outdated drivers very easily.

Then, you can monitor your core temperatures. I am now almost 100% sure that my unstable overclock was the cause of the problem. According to tech inferno real temp, some core temperatures shot suddenly from 49 celcius to over 70 celcius. I lowered the overclock in the BIOS as per Jim´s guidance and videos, and lowered the voltage too.

Since then, temperatures at the most demanding moments during FSX seldom go above 65 celcius and if they do they read much smoother with no spikes. I think, but I am not sure, that those spikes in temperatures are signaling an unstable system. I now run 4.6GHz on 1.25 Volts with absolutely no problems.

P.S., As Kyle says, there is no such thing as too much airplane. The NG consumes about 700,000K of your available 4 Giga for FSX, or about 17.5% of total available memory, and would result in an OOM instead of a BSOD. Further, the airplane would not be to blame as it is the SUM of all your goodies running that causes the overflow. You can download Process explorer for free and see how much virtual memory you are running for FSX. The more scenery, airports, traffic etc etc. you have active, and an OOM is coming. It will not be a BSOD. The NG is software, and BSOD is a hardware issue as Jim and others have stated. 

Thanks Alberto , i'll see if it does it again and try these tools you mentioned .