Sign in to follow this  
Skywolf

Stick with P3D addons in P3Dv3

Hey,

While I am getting my sim smooth for VR.  The AM=255 works like Magic in VR for me and I am flying with pmdg 777 with Orbx Global/Vector/OpenLCNA and with AS16+ASCA.

Over the last few weeks, I did try to migrate some FSX addons and in VR VAS consumption is.  This is because Flyinside needs VAS and also due to way multiple buffers are used to create smooth experience.  VR has high requirements but I did notice addons which are not really compiled with P3D tools (like FSX only addons), they do consume VAS more as I can see its consumption much faster due to my already less VAS to some degree.

If I stay with p3dV3 optimized addons then the performance is just better.

I am just saying P3Dv3 is a different sim, don't mix and match addons even though you are thinking it kinda works.  Not worth the unnecessary installations and headaches.  I wanna fly the sim in VR all the time, I don't want to tweak the hell out of it and put all my time and energies into it.

P3Dv3 in a nutshell a 100% different sim from FSX. 

Some addons looks like the developer just added the installer paths to detect p3dv3 and did not recompile for p3dv3.

For example - I feel that Mytraffic 6a is not properly ported to p3dv3 at all (I am making this assumption).  The VAS consumption even with 5% airplanes (with ai traffic tool hosted here to control it) consumes more VAS than it needs to.  The developer needs a team, one man shop is very challenging biz to run.

Best bet for P3dv3 is to stick with addons which are properly complied for it.  It is just that simple.

I have a feeling that in the few upcoming releases more old FSX code is going to break and that will be the end of migrating FSX addons into P3D.  It is not like I hear FS2004 addons being installed into FSX.

• Upvote 1

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I'm far from an expert on the inner workings of P3D but I have to agree with you.  After many years of FS9, FSX, etc., I switched to P3D 2.5 and have never looked back.  Now I'm using v3.3.1765 Professional.  The point is that after a few reinstalls over my time with P3D my hard and fast rule is to ONLY install P3D optimized addons.  For whatever reason, when trying to port something else over I eventually end up getting trouble of some sort.  Part of that is the Estonia Migration Tool (or so it appears).  Whatever, the install log I keep for myself has in red letters:  DO NOT INSTALL NON P3D ADDONS UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE.  So far it's worked for me.

Hey,

While I am getting my sim smooth for VR.  The AM=255 works like Magic in VR for me and I am flying with pmdg 777 with Orbx Global/Vector/OpenLCNA and with AS16+ASCA.

Over the last few weeks, I did try to migrate some FSX addons and in VR VAS consumption is.  This is because Flyinside needs VAS and also due to way multiple buffers are used to create smooth experience.  VR has high requirements but I did notice addons which are not really compiled with P3D tools (like FSX only addons), they do consume VAS more as I can see its consumption much faster due to my already less VAS to some degree.

If I stay with p3dV3 optimized addons then the performance is just better.

I am just saying P3Dv3 is a different sim, don't mix and match addons even though you are thinking it kinda works.  Not worth the unnecessary installations and headaches.  I wanna fly the sim in VR all the time, I don't want to tweak the hell out of it and put all my time and energies into it.

P3Dv3 in a nutshell a 100% different sim from FSX. 

Some addons looks like the developer just added the installer paths to detect p3dv3 and did not recompile for p3dv3.

For example - I feel that Mytraffic 6a is not properly ported to p3dv3 at all (I am making this assumption).  The VAS consumption even with 5% airplanes (with ai traffic tool hosted here to control it) consumes more VAS than it needs to.  The developer needs a team, one man shop is very challenging biz to run.

Best bet for P3dv3 is to stick with addons which are properly complied for it.  It is just that simple.

I have a feeling that in the few upcoming releases more old FSX code is going to break and that will be the end of migrating FSX addons into P3D.  It is not like I hear FS2004 addons being installed into FSX.

My Traffic 6 works perfectly in P3D. Been using it for over a year since Version 2.5 and now in 3.2, but I used the P3D installer. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

I have dozens of airports that are FSX generation, most work quite well. Exception is Aerosoft, which I try to remove as soon as alternates are available.

Dan Downs KCRP

I think scenery is a little different. In most cases, if it installs, it looks fine. Aircraft seem to be different, they may or may not install and if they do install, they may or may not work properly.

Generally, I follow the developers's lead - if they say it's OK in P3D - I'm ok with it otherwise I just pass on it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors