Sign in to follow this  
michal

AVG FREE EDITION - heads up re. update

Hi,Like me, some of you may have been experiencing recent difficulties connecting and downloading pattern updates from grisoft.com.I may be wrong, but I think this may have something to do with the fact that all support is being withdrawn from AVG Free Edition Version 6.0 in December 2004.Not to worry, the solution is simple:Download and install AVG FREE EDITION Version 7.0 - yes it's still free :) and fully compatible with XP SP2.http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/Ge...E/lng/us/tpl/v5No need to uninstall version 6.0 - the version 7.0 installer does it all for you.Also, note that there are a couple of .pdf files you should download as well - a reference guide and some advice about configuring your firewall (assuming you are using Windows XP Firewall, Kerio Personal Firewall or Zone Alarm Pro).Lastly, if you automate the process of file scanning after a download using a downloader utility the AVG file to point to is now 'avgw.exe' and the parameter to add to the executable is /SE.Mike

Appreciate the tip... thanks!DougDell 8250 (3.06GHz/533FSB)1GB Rambus RAM120GB (C: ) & 160GB ATA (D: )ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Catalyst 4.10)Audigy 2 Sound (latest drivers)MS Force Feedback 2WindowsXP Pro (SP2)DirectX 9.0c

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Thanks for that!Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

I am also thinking of switching to another anti-virus program. I am not impressed with (free) version of AVG.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Guest DemolitionMan

I wasn't impressed with AVG, I recommend NOD32, not free, but the best virus scanner out there IMOBestGrahame (EDHL)

I uninstalled AVG and installed Avast. So far I am impressed. A one particular trojan horse (eegotz...) that was visting my PC constantly and that AVG always missed was immediately spotted and removed by Avast.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2

Hi Grahame,"I wasn't impressed with AVG, I recommend NOD32, not free, but the best virus scanner out there IMO"...I have no experience with any other anti-virus software other than Norton and, more recently, AVG. All I can say for certain is that Norton did not let me down over many years of usage and, so far, AVG has proved over the past 6 months to be equally reliable and far less pervasive. That is good enough for me.Windows XP Home was installed mid 2002 and has never needed a reinstall despite the ever-evolving complexity of my setup. The combination of a decent firewall, effective and user friendly anti-virus software and a dogged determination to stick to basic system maintenance principles has steered me clear of trouble. If Grisoft decide at some point to withdraw the free version of their AVG software then, and only then, I might be persuaded to try something else. Our varying experiences suggest other factors may be involved.Regards,Mike

Agree. What's really not to like about AVG? Haven't become infected, doesn't intrude, and so forth.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest DemolitionMan

MikeThe reason I say that I wasn't impressed by AVG is just because, as I had it, I "caught" things on my comp. that really shouldn't have been there with a good virus scanner, and I'm by no means the only one that I know to have experienced this. It's possible that the update service here in europe isn't as good as elsewhere, I know that the service is localized, depending on which viruses are prevalent in the particular area.As regards Norton, I wouldn't have it as a gift: It's one of the best examples of "bloatware" I know of: Overloaded, uses waaay too many system rescorces, and is slow in scanning etc. Over the years I've tried just about every virus scanner on the market, and have settled for NOD32 for good reasons: It has a very small footprint, is fast and efficient,the update service is always ahead of the trend, and it's capable of being COMPLETLY shut down should it be nessasary, which is certainly NOT the case with Norton. That gives the impression of being closed, but take a look in the Task manager: The front end is shut down, but look at what's still running in the background with Norton.NOD32 is so efficient that I leave it runnning ALL the time, except when installing certain software (F1 etc), yes,even when running FS. No stuttering, no fps hit, just good protection.I suspect that the main reason for AVG's popularity is the fact that it's free, and don't we all love to save money where we can,lol?I'm so confident about the efficiency of NOD32 with my hardware firewall together, that I've decided to give SP2 a miss, as it's mostly concerned with security issues, and judging from all the bugs that THAT has, the money for NOD32 is money well spent. just MHO..BestGrahame (EDHL)

Guest danowat

AVG allowd my PC to become infected TWICE, and as a result I lost all faith in it.I have been using NOD32, and was so impressed with it, that I have now dumped NAV on my works LAN, and installed NOD32, which I believe is the best AV software around.Dan.

Please let us all agree to disagree. This was just a heads up for those who use AVG, not an invitation to make statements that my anti-virus software is better than your anti-virus software. I say again there are undoubtedly very good reasons why your experience has been less favourable while using AVG. Please respect the fact that others like myself have no issues with the product.Regards,Mike

Guest daveg4otu

Updated to AVG 7 thanks to the "Heads-up" .....The only comment I will make is that the GUI isn't quite so user friendly now.Dave

Guest danowat

Sure Mike, no problem, but just to make people aware that AVG is not infalable, as I am not alone in the fact that AVG allowed infiltrations.Dan.