Sign in to follow this  
UA90

Prepar3d Optimization for 4/5K Displays?

Hi

Running Prepar3d at a screen resolution of 2560x1440 has always given me good FPS (25-45). However, I have a 5K display, and what if I want to run Prepar3d at a resolution of 5120x2880, then my FPS drops to significantly (5-15). Is there any way that I can run Prepar3d at 5120x2880 without getting a massive FPS hit?

Specs:

Apple iMac 27"

5120x2880 Native Display Resolution

AMD R9 M295X Graphics

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0-4.2GHZ quad core

1TB SSD (256GB allocated for Windows 10)

Thanks!

Is there any way that I can run Prepar3d at 5120x2880 without getting a massive FPS hit?

I doubt it.

What third party scenery, if any, do you have installed?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

I doubt it.

What third party scenery, if any, do you have installed?

gb.

FSAddon Ben Gurion Airport on top of FTX Global

You need a better graphics card.

Nvidia GTX 1080 or Titan X-Pascal are the only ones in the market capable of running 4K while maintaining a good frame rate.

Nvidia GTX 1080 will run P3D 3.3.5 - 3840 pixels × 2160 at 20 to 50 fps and even higher depending on your settings and location.

Nvidia GTX 1080 or Titan X-Pascal are the only ones in the market capable of running 4K while maintaining a good frame rate.

Ooops you forgot the Maxwell 12gig Titan X  :wink: which I have and runs P3D superbly on my newely released Sony 43" 4K

Also there is a post by Rob after doing a test of his new 1080's his Titan X's remain in his rig for good reason

Rich Sennett

Two problems here:

1. you run your P3D on a M295X graphics chip from AMD. I am not sure, but as far as I heard even the newest AMD GPUs do not provide as much performance in the ESP engine as nVidia GPUs.

2. if I read your first post, it seems to me that you are using your 5K iMac for P3D? Well then, you can do absolutely nothing, as it is simply impossible to replace the GPU in such a case

So: no, you can not do anything about it as long as you stick to this iMac...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Nvidia GTX 1080 will run P3D 3.3.5 - 3840 pixels × 2160 at 20 to 50 fps and even higher depending on your settings and location.

Ooops you forgot the Maxwell 12gig Titan X   :wink: which I have and runs P3D superbly on my newely released Sony 43" 4K

Also there is a post by Rob after doing a test of his new 1080's his Titan X's remain in his rig for good reason

I can't put a new graphics card. It will void my warranty

Edit: Oops, double quote  :smile:

• Upvote 1

FSAddon Ben Gurion Airport on top of FTX Global

You could try moving every slider in the P3D settings full left and then slowly

edging them right to see what starts to drag your system down.

Failing that, for 5K, I think your only hope would be to go back to default scenery.

Do you really have to run at 5K?

What does the screen look like at lower resolutions?

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

Do you really have to run at 5K?

What does the screen look like at lower resolutions?

gb.

5K is the native resolution. So the screen looks insanely blurry at 2560x1440. Kinda sucks, because the 2560x1440 resolution on the mac is pixel doubled, making it look like 5120x2880, don't know why the bootcamp support software couldn't add that feature onto Windows 10  :sad:

Failing that, for 5K, I think your only hope would be to go back to default scenery.

Default scenery vs FTX Global doesn't change the FPS much on my system.

Don't tell my Zotac Amp! Extreme GTX 980 Ti that!

I'm running P3D at 4k with frame rates well into 100+ FPS at this resolution.

Of course it's not any one component that gives this kind of performance.

You must have a balance of a great processor, memory etc.

Don't tell my Zotac Amp! Extreme GTX 980 Ti that!

I'm running P3D at 4k with frame rates well into 100+ FPS at this resolution.

Of course it's not any one component that gives this kind of performance.

You must have a balance of a great processor, memory etc.

Oh my goodness, thanks for reminding me!

Intel Core i7 4790K 4.0-4.2GHZ quad core

16GB DDR3 RAM

GTX 970 here.  Handles 4K no problem. I don't want you to scare anyone away from trying 4K.  Going from two 24" monitors to a single 43" 4K monitor has been amazing.

Richard, what Sony 4k TV model did you end up getting?

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Forkboy2, how are the response times running on a 4K TV?  Do you see any ghosting?

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.