Hi all,

After several months with my HD4000, I'm ready to buy a second hand graphic card, I'm tempted to buy a gtx 970, or a 6gb titan, no x no z,no black, the reference one from Asus, so, my question is, price is equal more or less for both,but I don't know which gpu could work better in p3d

I'm previously owned a gigabyte 770, and as you already know, struggling under clouds and suffering about shimmering and stuffs like that

I can't buy anything from 10xx series, same for the 980, because is beyond my possibilities..the titan have 6gb ram and I think would be good in dsr mode, but the 970 have dx12 and is more futureproof in other games

Any advice will be welcome, thanks :)

I can wait until Monday or Tuesday BTW

Both cards will not do wonders under DX12, neither the old Titan nor the 970. As memory bandwith is still something important in flightsims, I would rather go for the Titan. In normal games, the 970 is slightly faster, but I guess this will not be reproduced in P3D.

As an alternative you might look for a decent custom build of a GTX-780Ti. Although this card has "only" 3GB VRAM, it is faster than a Titan and faster than a 970. And it has an even better memory bandwith compared to both the Titan and the 970.

Last, you could also take a look on the novel GTX-1060. This would be the best card regarding DX12, however, as it is a x60 card, the memory bandwith is even lower. But in normal games, it is definitely the fastest card of all four (1060 > 780Ti > 970 > Titan).

So, in the end it depends on your budget. Buying second hand is always an option, but if your budget is so limited that you can "only" afford a 970 or an old Titan, the GTX-1060 might still be the better choice, as you will get a modern, state-of-the-art GPU with a decent performance and as only drawback the rather low memory bandwith.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Ending up picking a 780 evga acx cooler, nothing special but surely better than my previous card, was a super good deal and I said, go for it

I will go for something better next year, meanwhile return to simming :) and I'm happy with that

Thanks anyway man, you gave me some excellent hints for the next time.. topic closed

• Upvote 1