Sign in to follow this  
lencarne

Rudder trim hard over

Hi Guys...  Having trouble with sudden rudder trim hard over whilst on the ground. In flight the trim seems to have a mind of its own and drifts slowly to one side or the other - not consistant with cross winds so i keep setting back to zero as I dont want that trim on when I land!

Any ideas, I have Saitek rudders calib with fsx...  they seem to work fine - even the toe brakes!

Having trouble with sudden rudder trim hard over whilst on the ground.

Sounds like you have the "auto rudder" option checked in your FSX settings.

Any ideas, I have Saitek rudders calib with fsx...  they seem to work fine - even the toe brakes!

Remove the rudders for a flight to check to see if the issue persists.

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle, No auto rudder selected in fsx. I'll diss the rudders in flight as you say and see if I get any drift. Main prob tho is the hard over on the ground - makes taxi rather interesting. I was glad to notice the other day that rudder not very responsive at all if you forget to turn the pumps on!  A real high fidelity sim huh? Amazing...

Len,

I know some of the Saitek Twist sticks have issues with the pots for the rudder input so I'm not sure if your using that for Rudders or actual hardware rudder pedals.  I know mine is extremely twitchy and tends to drift left all the time.  You should be able to see that in the Saitek tool or even in the calibration just by watching it for a little bit. 

Paul Gollnick

Manager Customer/Technical Support

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team.jpg

Len,

I know some of the Saitek Twist sticks have issues with the pots for the rudder input so I'm not sure if your using that for Rudders or actual hardware rudder pedals.  I know mine is extremely twitchy and tends to drift left all the time.  You should be able to see that in the Saitek tool or even in the calibration just by watching it for a little bit. 

Thanks Paul. I have the Saitek pedals proper having had terrible trouble with CH pedals toe brakes over the years.  Must say I do like the Saitek product.  Thinking of moving the yoke over from CH to Saitek now.

Len,

Normally does it sitting on the ramp doing my cdu input. notice it when you taxi!! Sometimes the SYS screen displays normal but go to the rudder trim wheel and you see its hard over. Takes a while to centre it - a real pain

Normally does it sitting on the ramp doing my cdu input. notice it when you taxi!! Sometimes the SYS screen displays normal but go to the rudder trim wheel and you see its hard over. Takes a while to centre it - a real pain

This happens to me on occasion when I load a saved situation file or a panel state that is saved together with that file. It doesn't happen every time but, unfortunately, i haven't been able to figure out what's causing it. Like you, I just take the time to zero out the trim and it works fine. Sometimes the same thing happens with the aileron trim or both aileron and rudder trim. If I'm loading a saved situation in mid flight, I put the sim in slew mode while zeroing out the trims to prevent violent attitude changes.

Walter Meier

I've never had the rudder trim anyplace but centered, but every one in a hundred flights that I load from a saved scenario sitting at a gate on ground air and power will have the aileron trim full right.  First thing you notice are the yokes and the spoiler on the wing. Takes 10 sec to figure out and fix.  I have no idea what causes this.

Dan Downs KCRP

The common scenario then seems to be loading a saved flight...Thanks for the inflight tip Walter