Sign in to follow this  
Gazzareth

A/C Turning wrong way on transition

I am still trying to work out how to properly use SID's / STAR's & Transitions etc, but had a problem on my last flight and wanted to see if someone could shed some light on it.

Last flight was LGTS to LCPH (Pafos), flying in from the west and using the PHA1 transition to runway 29 - didn't use a STAR since the default NAV Data only offer's STAR's from the east. The route appears correctly in EFB and the ND - which is flying over the PHA VOR, turning to 128 degrees, then after 9nm turn 201 degrees to the left onto the ILS. However, when flying it the A/C turns right instead rather than doing the correct turn.

Also (while I am asking about SIDs / STAR's etc) interested in people's opinion on EFB (using the demo at the moment) - is there anything else I should be looking at, or is that the best there is out there? 

Anyone got any suggestions?

Regards,

G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

....... Ok, may well have been something I did (not sure what though) - just reloaded from an autosave and gone through the whole thing again and it worked 100% fine. If anyone has any idea's as to why it would turn the wrong way though that would be much appreciated. Along with any advice on EFB or similar !!

G

Hmm. Hard to say without seeing the replay, but is it possible you had the wrong course in for the ILS?

Matt Cee

No, was still on LNAV at the time. The fact it worked second time makes me think I did something dumb. But absolutely no clue as to what.

On a slight aside, have flown into there RW29 twice and the approach path they actually use is not in any of the Navdata I have..

Guess I should probably update and see if it changes things...

G

Guess I should probably update and see if it changes things...

You have out dated navdata? There are usually enough changes every 58 days to make it worthwhile to stay current if you want to emulate actual flights. (Each cycle lasts 28 days, military and civil updates alternate cycles in the US)

Dan Downs KCRP

Did you arm APP in the MCP ? if so, what were our white indications for roll and pitch mode in the FMA´s ?

Sometimes when you arm APP, FAC and or G/P show up instead of VORLOC and G/S, then your aircraft while still in LNAV turns the wrong way while you think it is going to intercept your localizer.

You have out dated navdata? There are usually enough changes every 58 days to make it worthwhile to stay current if you want to emulate actual flights. (Each cycle lasts 28 days, military and civil updates alternate cycles in the US)

To be fair I am not *that* bothered about staying current, but since every aircraft and mapping product I have is on a different cycle I should probably get them all to the same one. Plus I am certain some of the "free" cycles I have seen seem to have less data, not sure if that is down to age or the fact it's free. As for Paphos it seemed that both times I have flown in on a LH circuit, wondering if that would exist in the Navdata as such?

G

Did you arm APP in the MCP ? if so, what were our white indications for roll and pitch mode in the FMA´s ?

Sometimes when you arm APP, FAC and or G/P show up instead of VORLOC and G/S, then your aircraft while still in LNAV turns the wrong way while you think it is going to intercept your localizer.

Definitely, wouldn't have armed APP, since my normal procedure is to go to NAV until capture and then hit APP. Don't know if NAV would have the same consequence, (obviously without G/P), if so that could well explain it. Definitely, waited until the turn started to arm anything else the second time.

G