Sign in to follow this  
mmerelles

10.50 RC3 is available

Ouch!

Spent 3 hours trying to figure out what's going on with my X-Plane installation. Whenever i selected Aircraft->Open aircraft my X-Plane would crash.

So i started moving every plug-in, one by one, deleting preferences, even moving out gigabytes of add-on sceneries and add-on aircraft out of main X-Plane directory to narrow the issue. Then i installed vanilla X-Plane on another drive, compared folders, disabled Windows Defender etc.

I'm shocked to see what turned out to be the problem...

Some time ago i've created directory inside X-Plane to backup some stuff before i made minor changes. The directory name i chose was "1" (don't ask, early 90s habit from MS-DOS).

I can reproduce this every time on my PC, be it 10.45 or 10.50rc3.

Can you guys please try this out on your X-Plane installation? Every platform is welcome (Windows / MacOS / Linux) - i want to make sure it's not something else playing on my PC before i report this as a bug to LR.

1. create empty folder named "1" inside your main X-Plane directory

2. start X-Plane

3. select Aircraft -> Open aircraft

My pure guess is that it's a bug in folder parsing code inside X-Plane...

EDIT: in fact the folder name needs to just have single character as a name, be it '2', '8', 'a', 'c', 'z' etc. If you have "QuickFlight Setup" active (where you can select aircraft and location on startup) your X-Plane will crash when loading, shortly after "Will init world..."

Regards,

Radek

Ouch!

Spent 3 hours trying to figure out what's going on with my X-Plane installation. Whenever i selected Aircraft->Open aircraft my X-Plane would crash.

So i started moving every plug-in, one by one, deleting preferences, even moving out gigabytes of add-on sceneries and add-on aircraft out of main X-Plane directory to narrow the issue. Then i installed vanilla X-Plane on another drive, compared folders, disabled Windows Defender etc.

I'm shocked to see what turned out to be the problem...

Some time ago i've created directory inside X-Plane to backup some stuff before i made minor changes. The directory name i chose was "1" (don't ask, early 90s habit from MS-DOS).

I can reproduce this every time on my PC, be it 10.45 or 10.50rc3.

Can you guys please try this out on your X-Plane installation? Every platform is welcome (Windows / MacOS / Linux) - i want to make sure it's not something else playing on my PC before i report this as a bug to LR.

2. start X-Plane

EDIT: in fact the folder name needs to just have single character as a name, be it '2', '8', 'a', 'c', 'z' etc. If you have "Quick startup window" active (where you can select aircraft and location on startup) your X-Plane should crash when loading, somewhere near "Init world..."

Confirmed also for me, exactly as you described.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Windows 10

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Hi,

I tried it, too.

Result: X-Plane crashes

I'm also using Windows 10.

Crash is confirmed in Linux also

2. start X-Plane

EDIT: in fact the folder name needs to just have single character as a name, be it '2', '8', 'a', 'c', 'z' etc. If you have "QuickFlight Setup" active (where you can select aircraft and location on startup) your X-Plane will crash when loading, shortly after "Will init world..."

This is weird! Good catch!

report it to the developers, you deserve the credits for it. The link is just below in case you do not have it.

http://dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html

Manuel Merelles

Thanks for your help!

Submitted bug report to LR.

This is weird! Good catch!

Thanks Manuel! I guess this is one of the most peculiar X-Plane bugs i've seen to date :)

Was a pain to track down in a complex X-Plane installation full of 3rd party stuff ...

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Radek