Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Disk 4 problems

Guest dbdrum

Hi all,As a long time Flt simmer, I have run into the problem I have only heard about. I had a computer crash requiring a new install of FS9, but unfortunately the world.cab files appear to be corrupt (presumably from an overused and scratched disk 4) which doesn't allow a complete install. The program will run, but with obvious scenerey/texture defects. Is there any where to obtain these files legally without having to purchase another program? I believe it is only the world.cab files, as that is where it seems to hang up when installing.Remaining hopeful.Dave Drum

Contact Microsoft--they are very good about taking care of these types of issues for their registered users and at most they may charge a nominal fee for replacing the disk.-John

Guest freff

>Contact Microsoft--they are very good about taking care of>these types of issues for their registered users and at most>they may charge a nominal fee for replacing the disk.>>-JohnThat was not my experience at all. I had the same problem and the "nominal fee" plus shipping that Microsoft quoted on the phone for the single disk was more total cost than I could buy a brand new copy of FS2004 for in any local store. I borrowed a copy to reinstall and though my disk4 has problems it can read enough for the CD check.

Thanks for posting to the thread. I could only make my comments based on what other users had reported. Hopefully others will update the thread and mention if their experience was similar to yours. Are you a U.S. resident, or do you live outside the U.S.? I recall hearing something similar for someone outside of the U.S. thanks to shipping costs, but I don't know whether it was MSFS or another program.-John

Not FS, but I've had dealings with Microsoft in Europe where I needed to have something shipped to me (DirectX SDK CD in this case).Cost me about 10 Deutschmark at the time, I'm sure it cost Microsoft more to package and send it than that.If you need a replacement disk set, deal with your nearest Microsoft office DIRECTLY, do not go through your retailer.

Guest davidvoogd

This is why I use a nocd patch - I own a copy of the program but see no need to put the CD in each time to prove it. I hope MS follows what they did in FS2002 and not require users to put the CD in when they do a full install.

I was a very happy NOCD user but when I got a new DVD burner I kept the old CD drive on my system and CD4 is in there permanently. Still very annoying though how this drive fires frequently when I'm not even using FS9 and I hope M$ change their protection policy for FS10.Bruceb

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."