Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

Scary moments

Went to fly my Cessna 182 tonight and took off from KHWD in California, in my new Northern California Orbx Scenery. After takeoff, my usually very smooth running with good FPS started turning into a slide show. I saw FPS dip down as low as 9FPS.  I shut everything down, and rebooted the PC, restarted everything, and same thing. I checked all my settings and everything was set normally. I had updated the Couatl add on manager this morning and I am trying a new ATC program, so I thought maybe something had happened with those two changes. Then I decided to go to another airport that I usually fly out of, and my FPS went back to normal with no problem. Went back to KHWD and back to dismal FPS. I have the South Alaska scenery and one or two other sceneries in that area of the North West, and this is the first time i had that happen.    

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I believe there are some scenery items (cranes, etc.)  in the Oakland Harbor that need to be deactivated.  As you were flying out of Hayward, which is close by, these were probably loading.  Do a search in the forums and I believe you will find some posts on this subject.

Jim

I think these are the culprit files.  I cannot find the post, but I have all these bgl files deactivated in my Orbx NCA05 scenery folder:

FTX_NCA_objects_CA_Oakland.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_SRA_marinas_ships_docks_PLC.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_animated.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_static1.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_static2.BGL.OFF

Jim

I believe there are some scenery items (cranes, etc.)  in the Oakland Harbor that need to be deactivated.  As you were flying out of Hayward, which is close by, these were probably loading.  Do a search in the forums and I believe you will find some posts on this subject.

Jim

I think these are the culprit files.  I cannot find the post, but I have all these bgl files deactivated in my Orbx NCA05 scenery folder:

FTX_NCA_objects_CA_Oakland.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_SRA_marinas_ships_docks_PLC.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_animated.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_static1.BGL.OFF

FTX_NCA_objects_windfarms_CA_PLC_addtl_static2.BGL.OFF

Jim

Thanks, been reading up on this, and apparently that is an area where many have FPS issues.I just turned all the ones you posted off and the FPS jumped up to the normal range......   :smile:

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thought I had this issue fixed, and took off this morning from KHWD to KLLR. By 1,000 feet AGL it turned into a slide show again. I saw FPS of 5 for moments. Guess which scenery that I just bought is getting disabled?  

Hi Bob!

Also in the FTX Central 2  Northern Caifornia CONFIGURE tab...Preformance related issues...Activate/deactivate objects that impact PC performance...

Turns on and off many preformance hogs!

Hope you get it sorted out as this scenery is gorgeous in some areas, especially north of the bay and the Sierras!

Hi Bob!

Also in the FTX Central 2  Northern Caifornia CONFIGURE tab...Preformance related issues...Activate/deactivate objects that impact PC performance...

Turns on and off many preformance hogs!

Hope you get it sorted out as this scenery is gorgeous in some areas, especially north of the bay and the Sierras!

I unchecked everything. No improvement. I do have a question regarding this Orbx scenery. If I just want to disable it, do I just uncheck the entries in the scenery Library for NCA05 scenery, NCA06 CVX, NCA07 mesh, and NCA08 Custom ?   

Absolutely. Plus you might want to make sure that FTX Libraries are ABOVE all FTX scenery and below other add on scenery such as FlyTampa etc. in Senery libraries!

I'll see if this FPS problem is repeatable in my sim, which I think it is when flying East from Hayward...

P3D v3.3.5 with 374.52 Nvidia drivers.

Absolutely. Plus you might want to make sure that FTX Libraries are ABOVE all FTX scenery and below other add on scenery such as FlyTampa etc. in Senery libraries!

Thanks....I disabled it and now my FPS are back in the 40's.. I think what I will do next is to re-enable it and fly south from KLLR and watch the FPS, and when they start to take a dive, I will make that a U-Turn point on my charts.   :wink: Flying around the SFO Bay area is out of the question. 

PS, I just re-enabled the Northern California, and found that flying North of  a line from Sonoma County Airport KSTS and Sacramento  produces high and stable FPS. Going south from there towards the Bay area of SFO causes lower and lower FPS and increasing stutters. 

Took off 28L from Hayward towards SFO...slight dip in FPS, have my frames set for 27 they dropped to 25 but no stutters...then I flew East and followed the 580 towards Livermore..frames steady...then through the Altamont Pass with all the turbines, some animated...frames steady...then followed the 205 East on into Tracy...frames steady. 

Really hope you sort it out! Going back now to fly to Yosemite!

Regards,

Greg.

In the FWIW department - using FTX Central, you can enable/disable these "special" features in NCA, etc.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I have megascenery for the entire CA state with Chris's Night environment.. and  I am using the old FSX MEgascenery (V1) that had autogen.. I simply merged that autogenn with the  new MEgascenery so cal (HD).

I do not own the Orbx Scenery... for CA

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

PS, I just re-enabled the Northern California, and found that flying North of  a line from Sonoma County Airport KSTS and Sacramento  produces high and stable FPS. Going south from there towards the Bay area of SFO causes lower and lower FPS and increasing stutters. 

Points of interest in the north part of the state Eureka, Lassen National Forest east of KRDD, Mt. Shasta, Klamath Falls and Crater Lake!

Points of interest in the north part of the state Eureka, Lassen National Forest east of KRDD, Mt. Shasta, Klamath Falls and Crater Lake!

I gave it one last try and took off from KHWD, and at one point P3D actually froze  around 1200 Feet AGL, like in  1 frame a minute..... There is something wrong with that area around the Bay unless one has a super computer, apparently because I have read other posts of people having similar problems in that area , some of them actually uninstalling No Calif. . I rebooted everything ( about my 10th time today) and took off from KSTS, and got a solid 40 FPS on climbout and heading for KACV I am seeing steady FPS around 50.  I think I am going to post this on their forum although I doubt it will result in anything. 

Yeah, flying ORBUCKS Bay area has always been the benchmark for how much horsepower my PC has.  Sorry for all your troubles Bob! Yeah not a big fan of some of ORBUCKS products. Even with my "Super Computer" there are airport sceneries that peg my video card depending on the direction I'm facing. Hate to get out of the VC too which ramps up the GPU load. 

NCA, Southern Alaska, Pacific North West and Pacific Fjords are all superb regions to fly and I hope you get some help! PC specs will be their first question I suppose!

Sorry,

Greg

Welcome to the wonderful world of ORBX. It's been a real love-hate relationship since day one

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.