Sign in to follow this  
virtualflying

PMDG 777 Autothrottle/Toga question

Evening everyone,

I didn't want to post this in PMDG forum because it wasn't a "support" question, but here's my dilemma:

I load my FP and everything, and go to take off, so I add about 70%, and then hit the toga button.

Everything is fine, until about 80 knots, when EVERY TIME I take off, the throttles just die, and go back down to idle, and I have to manually push the throttles forward again.

I also have where, I will be descending via VNAV and LNAV, and the throttles will just go full TOGA, and make me overspeed, and I have to manually bring them back down.

Any help? It's very annoying

Sounds like a support question to me...

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

It sounds like an issue where the manual position of your throttles is over-riding the autothrottle position. Are you following through and pushing your throttles up when pressing TOGA and the thrust is advancing? Also what have you set in the FMC menu for throttles-manual override? Try it in NEVER or HOLD MODE ONLY. 

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Everything is fine, until about 80 knots, when EVERY TIME I take off, the throttles just die, and go back down to idle, and I have to manually push the throttles forward again.

I also have where, I will be descending via VNAV and LNAV, and the throttles will just go full TOGA, and make me overspeed, and I have to manually bring them back down.

Most likely your throttle hardware is sending spikes/commands that you are unaware of.  In both situations the Autothrottle (A/T) is most likely in HOLD mode, which allows movement of the throttle levers to adjust thrust.  

On takeoff, the Autothrottle goes into HOLD mode at 80 knots.  This allows manual adjustment of thrust; if your throttle hardware is set to a minimum position and you touch it accidentally or it sends a spike, thrust will drop. 

In VNAV descents the Autothrottle also often goes into HOLD mode.  Again, depending on your hardware throttle's position, you might send a full thrust or other command that you are unaware of.

For both situations, check what thrust mode the A/T is in on the FMA (upper right of PFD for Thrust mode).  See if it is in HOLD mode.

There is also an option to display the hardware throttle position on the N1 EICAS indications.  That should help you troubleshoot. 

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

This is exactly the kind of question you can ask in the PMDG customer forum. Other users are there to help out, including Mike.

Dan Downs KCRP

It sounds like an issue where the manual position of your throttles is over-riding the autothrottle position. Are you following through and pushing your throttles up when pressing TOGA and the thrust is advancing? Also what have you set in the FMC menu for throttles-manual override? Try it in NEVER or HOLD MODE ONLY. 

I normally move my hardware about 70%, then hit the toga button (I keep my hardware at 70%), and in the FMC, I don't put the thrust in there. I'm still a big noob to the 777, so I don't know what that does/how to calculate that. :P

Moved to PMDG forum as this *is* a PMDG support question--OP, you'll need to put your name to any future posts in the thread.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'm still a big noob to the 777

If you have not flown Tutorial 1, you should. The correct take off procedure and descent is covered. The Introduction is a must read also if you don't want to be a big noob.

I normally move my hardware about 70%, then hit the toga button (I keep my hardware at 70%), and in the FMC, I don't put the thrust in there. I'm still a big noob to the 777, so I don't know what that does/how to calculate that. :P

i heartily agree with Michael C.'s suggestion that you fly the tutorial and read the intro manual carefully.

Also, I mis-spoke in my earlier entry.  Thrust mode is shown on upper LEFT side of PFD.  Pay attention to what thrust mode you are in when the thrust reduces or increases unexpectedly.  Again, I am guessing that your issues are arising from accidental throttle hardware inputs in HOLD mode, both on takeoff and during VNAV descents.  Search FCOM2 for "Hold mode" -- you will see that the autothrottle stops controlling the throttle levers in that mode, leaving them open  to any deliberate or accidental input from your throttle hardware.  Also read up on the options for how you set your throttle hardware to override the autothrottle commands. 

As Bob S. said, PMDG wants you to sign your full name in its forums.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2