Sign in to follow this  
bert.laverman

Long and Short turn-around states

Thanks to all the great tutorials and posting I have learned that Cold and Dark is a rare starting point for a flight, but who can tell me the finer details of the differences between the Long and Short Turnaround states? I can guess from the name what the intention is, but how do they differ in what you'll find in the systems on and off? The FCOM will help you using "verify" and "make sure", but what can be expected?

Bert Laverman

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I think the difference is only one or two items left on in the short turn are off for long turn... such as INS and perhaps ground power vs APU.

Having been on many SWA short turns, about 20 min, I'm pretty sure they do a fast align for the INS and they definitely are on ground power and air (actually gate power and air since most jetways now provide the power and air).  Most of my sim flying is in either AAL or UAL aircraft flying their schedules and those guys have ground turn times greater than 40 min, up to a couple hours.  So all my turn around panel states follow the normal checklist in the FCOM all the way to the end, turning off packs and recirc fans, IFE and INS.

I save the flight at the gate after deboarding pax, and when I start another session at the same gate it simulates what a crew may find in the cockpit.  My turn state is a slightly modified long turn.

Dan Downs KCRP