Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

IRIS Pilatus PC-24 First Impression

First Impression:

As is, cannot recommend!

FMC,  MDF CAS ??

Flight Plan: unable to edit, keys do not work, only got one by loading into P3D. (add a point and you get duped)

Ranges do not work, except from the VC joystick keypad.

No Map

99% soft keys do not work

No Checklists.

No Terrain

No Weather

No TCAS

No Systems Info, NONE

Mouse scroll does not work on most knobs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radios work.

Wayponts, VOR, NDB, Airways etc. from VC keypad. (cramped display, max 100 nm)

AP seems to work!

Panel graphics are great quality.

Cabin graphics are, ????

FDE who knows? ( not compelled to fly).

Sound  are, well, judge for Yourself....................

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the real thing is not out yet, but If you wanted to see something remotely like this,

You are in for a a surprise. Not what I expected.

Sad, Beautiful aircraft,.................................

Did you watch this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxiWffeuuxs&feature=youtu.be

The MFD is not a touch screen, you have to use left/right clicks and scroll wheel on your mouse via the little joystick below the center lower MFD and enter flight plans by your physical keyboard not the touchpad keyboard in the VC. The softkeys are not intended to work, use your keyboard.

Is it done yet? When will it be released? Will it be freeware or payware? How much will it cost? Any updates on the progress? Will it work for Xbox? Can I be a beta tester? How's the performance in VR?

Bit disappointing to see this on the product website:

'PLEASE NOTE: This product is not compatible with many external hardware panels. Interaction with the onboard systems should be done via mouse and keyboard via the virtual cockpit.

gb.

YSSY. Win 10, 6700K@4.8, Corsair H115i Cooler, RTX 4070Ti, 32GB G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200, Samsung 960 EVO M.2 256GB, ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger, Corsair HX850i 850W, Thermaltake Core X31 Case, Samsung 4K 65" TV.

'PLEASE NOTE: This product is not compatible with many external hardware panels. Interaction with the onboard systems should be done via mouse and keyboard via the virtual cockpit.

gb.

That is why I Didn't buy it.  Wanted to until I saw that.

In the video that @PWJY8D linked, those features certainly seem to work.

What put me right off, is that the AP is clearly a completely standard FSX AP affair.   The SPD mode, is simply the FSX autothrottle, and doesn't adjust speed using pitch as in the real aircraft. (The real PC-24 has FADEC but no Autothrottle).   Check out when he engages the ALT button, with the SPD (autothrottle) engaged - the aircraft just changes VS to the default 1800 FPM rate of the standard FSX AP.

Very unrealistic AP behaviour - basically identical in function to the default FSX Lear.   As someone who enjoys realistic APs (and being able to climb using IAS by pitch) this one definitely isn't for me.

It's a shame IRIS never implemented a true 'Speed by pitch' mode, as even Carenado have been doing in recent years (albeit with limited success!).

The price is low though, and if you're not bothered about the above, it does offer a fair amount.

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

The SPD mode, is simply the FSX autothrottle, and doesn't adjust speed using pitch as in the real aircraft. (The real PC-24 has FADEC but no Autothrottle)

I don't know where did you get that information from, but all official sources say that AUTOTHROTTLE will come in standard avonics package. 

(Dunno why you bring up FADEC there)

At least with Carenado you get un rivaled graphics quality. I suspect this will be one of those $5 deals when Christmas comes along.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

The price is low though, and if you're not bothered about the above, it does offer a fair amount.

Wow. Developers must have been quite successful recently in convincing us that any half-decent add-on must be priced at $100+. I certainly do not consider something which has mediocre graphics and standard FSX functions at $39.99 as being low priced...

• Upvote 5

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Got to be one of the worst releases this year..

• Upvote 2

James (jaydor)

"Let me X-Plane where I fly in 2020"

I just installed this thing yesterday, so haven't had time to go completely through it.  But I own a Saitek switch panel, multi-function panel, and TPM panel, and I can confirm that at least the flap and gear switches and throttle do work in the Pilatus - not sure about the rest yet.  I'm pretty sure IRIS just put that disclaimer in there to avoid 3rd party software issues - people complaining that "it won't work with my Brand-X controllers", which is pretty common.

The most pressing problem I have is seeing enough of the cockpit, in enough resolution, to be useful.  If I move the view back far enough to see more stuff, things are unreadable, therefore, unusable.  To fly any airplane, the pilot must be able to keep the primary flight display in sight, just to keep the airplane right side up, and still see other places on the panel to manipulate knobs, switches, whatever.  I don't know how to do that with this airplane.

I used to always favor sim 2d panels for that reason - I can see enough to monitor the critical information and get to the controls I need, quickly, and even if I have external hardware switches and knobs, I can see cockpit indicators that verify I've changed something.  This thing doesn't HAVE a 2d panel that I could find, although it includes views of every (empty) seat in the cabin....  

But relying on keyboard shortcuts to see critical panel areas, and still keep the airplane flyiing, is awkward at best - it's too slow to be useful, and it detracts from realism .   Any words of wisdom from the sim pros who live and die by VC panels?

Got to be one of the worst releases this year..

How you get to this conclusion is not really clear for me. Yes, it seems that those avionics are FSX-standard. But besides this (and the slightly to expensive price tag), this plane comes with a wonderful model not worse than any Carenado product and a decent VC. Before you compare it to the Carenado interiors, I suggest to google for the PC-24 and see how the interior incl. the Cockpit looks in real life. Then you might realize that IRIS simply recreated the sterile, cold look of the real PC-24 photos that so far exist.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

How you get to this conclusion is not really clear for me.

People are quick to form judgement based on couple of uneducated posts. Then people just spin it around and you get threads like this in result. 

Now, I don't say you guys are wrong or right, I am not familair with the product myself, but so far I have seen nothing of substance, just couple of posts that are not even close to the truth.  (vide "nothing works" or "it has autothrottle and it shouldn't!" posts). 

I guess, as per usual, I will have to buy it and see for myself :sad:

• Upvote 1

FPS are abysmal. Or is that the price you pay when recording a video while flying?.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Hey Everyone. 

Okay so not sure if FSX:SE is the same are P3D when it comes to controller add-ons like Saitek, but I can confirm the multi panel, switch panel, and pro panel all work with the SVJ. I use SPAD.NEXT to interface the Saitek panels and I can program all the lights and AP functions to work properly. I can assign the levers on the throttle quadrants (I have two) directly through spad to control flaps, throttle, and speed brake. 

The only issue I have with the pilatus I have found so far, is editing the flight plans. I seem to loose the function of my keyboard somehow. I will report this bug to Iris themselves. Once they iron out the MFD/PFD controls to be a little more smooth, I think the product is a hit.

Overall this is a very nice product. There are updates that Iris plan to accomplish in the near future. So the IAS climb modes etc. might get looked at. As of now, the textures are great inside and out. Looks just like the PC24s I have seen in images and countless YouTube videos. Not sure where all the hate is coming from. It is a very simple and intuitive aircraft in the RW, so I think Iris captured this mindset properly. 

Last remark I will make. The performance hit on the system is nominal. Since Carenado was brought up here, i'll say, the PC24 has less impact on performance than Carenados with the Pro-line avionics installed. 

Regards,

Mike Allen

• Upvote 1

IRIS has temporarily removed the PC-24 from sale, while they upload a new build.

Sure hope what I got Yesterday was a Beta.

Looking forward to what this SVJ can do.