Sign in to follow this  
RamonB

IRIS Pilatus PC-24 First Impression

IRIS has temporarily removed the PC-24 from sale, while they upload a new build. Sure hope what I got Yesterday was a Beta. Looking forward to what this SVJ can do.

Interesting development.  Where did you find the part about a new build?  I didn't see anything there about that - did you email them?

They already have my money, but now I'm wondering about my decision to spend it.  Their marketing strategy begs some questions.

Interesting development. Where did you find the part about a new build? I didn't see anything there about that - did you email them?

From their WebsiteFacebook Page.

For me, haven't made a definite decision yet. My initial reaction is negative. The overall model graphics are very nice. To me, the panel is sort of blah. I would like to see more of a 3d effect in the panel shading.

Took a 2 hour flight - handled well - AP worked as expected. Found inputting data, radios, etc to be cumbersome. Still trying to fogure out how to manually change an approach.

I'll continue to play with it - I've always had good luck with Iris products so I expect the new build will make some needed changes.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Any words of wisdom from the sim pros who live and die by VC panels?

TrackIR

• Upvote 1

TrackIR

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that.  Now that I've gone from 3 monitors back to one (3440 X 1440 native/curved screen), that might be workable.  Have to dig around and see where I put that stuff.

I don't know where did you get that information from, but all official sources say that AUTOTHROTTLE will come in standard avonics package. 

(Dunno why you bring up FADEC there)

Ok, I stand corrected on the autothrottle - but the point I was making is that the SPD mode in the real aircraft, uses a preset level of engine thrust, and then adjusts pitch to maintain IAS.  (just like any FLC / FLCH / IAS autopilot mode) ........... but in this aircraft, this is not modelled, and the SPD button is simply using the default FSX autothrottle alone to manage speed (with no pitch adjustment).

Wow. Developers must have been quite successful recently in convincing us that any half-decent add-on must be priced at $100+. I certainly do not consider something which has mediocre graphics and standard FSX functions at $39.99 as being low priced...

Well since you bring up the rising cost of FS addons, US$29.99 (AUD$39.99) is certainly low priced by other standards.

As to whether it's worth that - that's entirely subjective. Although I wouldn't buy it, because of the unrealistic AP, my opinion is that it still offers a fair package for simmers who are not bothered about the AP.

Your opinion differs.  That's all good.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Someone make a screenshot post with lots of pics - that's what I did with the Lear

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Downloaded and installed the updated installer, then did first flight. from TFFF to TNCA FL360

I'm didn't test performance or other values, I just wanted to fly this  gorgeous plane.

Read the updated manual.

Again tried to enter a FP several times but somehow I ended with dupped entries or blank waypoints (----). At one point whatever I wrote or cleared from Origin was displayed in Destination and vice versa. Could not reset or erase the FP as per the manual instructions (no option displayed) so only way out was to reload the plane.

Anyway I decided to give PS's a rest and loaded a saved flight plan; it displayed and worked OK, (It uses the P3D default database)

Flight was smooth as silk, the plane handled very nicely, followed the FP to the dot and all but one AP modes I used worked flawlessly.

APR -> Plane captured the localizer and flew fine up until glideslope capture from below (2000 ft); it did not capture GS and in fact plane started ascending. (need more testing on this)

So I switched to manual for landing.

Things  I noticed:

Terrain/Land  display worked today,

I agree, data input is cumbersome.

Pressing the physical keyboard Enter key does not always work when entering way points.

No visible Taxi Lights, Landing Lights and other nav lights work and look Fine. P3D v3.2

Standard Baro is a bit off at 29.91

Cheers.

The update improved the flying characteristics – feels far less binary now. I will revise my first impression from Ouch to Okay. 

This is one Iris aircraft that will benefit massively from one thing almost everyone else does and Iris does not: pop-up displays. At 1920px the detail is lost and it becomes just too difficult to monitor certain settings. FMS data inout is a mitigated nightmare; on the real plane you'd look at the MFD and work the FMS by touch alone. If the PFD (which ought to be called a BFD: a Barely Functioning Display) and MFD can be presented as pop-ups it would make life a lot simpler, and getting around a lot easier.

This is one aircraft that demands a 3840px display, and a large one at that plus TrackIR. Sadly I have neither.  

Carenado must be feeling pretty good with themselves right now. 

This is one aircraft that demands a 3840px display, and a large one at that plus TrackIR. Sadly I have neither.

Save the money you would spend for a 4k monitor and get EZDOK Camera instead (much cheaper). I couldn't imagine flying all those complex aircraft without defining my own camera views, which allow me to zoom in to any part of the cockpit with a button on my joystick (or keyboard, if you prefer). EZDOK Camera is one of my all-time favorite non-aircraft FSX addons.

Felix

Hi

I got the PC24 from SimMarket two days ago.

Installation in my P3D V.3.3 OK.

Problem is the engine start; There is a feature SHIFT + 2 and then "Ready to fly", should start the engines, but they only get to 4% N1 and then remains.

Anybody can help me or give me an adress of a Forum to ask?

Thanks
​Peter LSZH

Problem is the engine start; There is a feature SHIFT + 2 and then "Ready to fly", should start the engines, but they only get to 4% N1 and then remains.

Have you tried to to switch on the Master Avionics Switch with the standard key combination defined in P3D prior to starting the engines? I don't own the PC24 but this has been a problem with some Carenado planes for me. If I save a standard flight where I have turned everything off (to start other planes in Cold and Dark) then often times the starting procedure didn't work (e.g. in the Carenado PC12). However, when I hit the key combination for the Master Avionics Switch right after loading the aircraft (which doesn't do anything directly) then the starting procedure works just fine. Could at least be something to try...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

How is this in VR? that is the question.  Is the VC really well modeled?

the PC-9A is Amazing in VR!!!!.  It is the plane for VR experience (and got the p3dv3 build - wish they would properly post the update on the webpage).

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Can someone please do some hi-res or high quality pics in the SS forum?  I see the IRIS ones but I want to see user shots.

Thanks

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Also, I saw this preview online... does this thing actually have synthetic vision!?!?  I think that would be a flightsim first!

http://flightsimcentral.net/iris-simulation-pilatus-pc-24-preview/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |