Sign in to follow this  
teopereira

Plans for a NGX "Pro" version?

I think it would be great if we could have a "pro" version of the NGX... The question is: are there plans to build one in the future?

Thanks

The question is: are there plans to build one in the future?

I think a more immediate question would be "what exactly is a pro version?"

• Upvote 9

Kyle Rodgers

A version which incorporates all developments made by PMDG since 2011 plus: more failures like for example "tire burst on take off or landing", "tails strike and it's consequences", "bird strike", hot start, wet start etc, possibility to detect failures on the "preflight" or "cockpit preparation", some mantainance requests, light bulbs failures, "walk around" checks, some level of circuit breakers simulation, maybe windshield "blur" caused by rain, "damage report" after a flight, CFM56-7B27 engines  etc...

• Upvote 2

Years ago I thought it was mentioned that the ER versions of the 900/700 would be made. If correct, is this still on the planning board?

Eric 

I also vaguely (I could be wrong) that after the ER variants and BBJs the shared cockpit would rollout. At this point however, I just want that 74!  :Big Grin:

• Upvote 1

Sounds like a wish list, not sure how that makes it a pro version.

The 777 does have tail strike consequences, and tires that go flat after a RTO at V1 with heavy load because the fuse plugs melt.  Not sure some of the items on that list are even possible like blown tire during taxi, given the platforms we have to work with.

The circuit breaker idea has been tossed around before, we already have very realistic electrical (everything is powered in the sim same as real, same bus etc) but in general pilots never touch a blown breaker.

The reason this is called a full study simulation is because if you are a B737 line pilot you can use the failures in this product to study for your biannual simulator check ride. That's "pro" version in my book.

• Upvote 3

Dan Downs KCRP

Sounds like a wish list, not sure how that makes it a pro version.

The 777 does have tail strike consequences, and tires that go flat after a RTO at V1 with heavy load because the fuse plugs melt.  Not sure some of the items on that list are even possible like blown tire during taxi, given the platforms we have to work with.

The circuit breaker idea has been tossed around before, we already have very realistic electrical (everything is powered in the sim same as real, same bus etc) but in general pilots never touch a blown breaker.

The reason this is called a full study simulation is because if you are a B737 line pilot you can use the failures in this product to study for your biannual simulator check ride. That's "pro" version in my book.

The closer to reality as possible... Yes, the "pro" version could be used to prepar for a "simulator check ride" or for a "jet training course"... and would get closer to the "certification" of the NGX as a training tool... About the "circuit breakers", I think not all circuit breakers need to be simulated, just some that are checked during the preflight...

Except for the certification, it is already used that way... as noted in my last sentence.

What's required for certification is more hardware, at least in the US the FAA has specific requirements for computer based simulators to be used to log time.  The PMDG product in itself is up to that level, add a few items from the cockpit and you are there.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

The closer to reality as possible... Yes, the "pro" version could be used to prepar for a "simulator check ride" or for a "jet training course"... and would get closer to the "certification" of the NGX as a training tool... About the "circuit breakers", I think not all circuit breakers need to be simulated, just some that are checked during the preflight...

what CBs should be checked during a preflight? In reality, all should and most likely will based on SOPs. The whole point of checking CBs on a preflight is to make sure none have tripped. The ones that are tripped, have been collared and been collared for specific reasons...usually for MEL reasons.
  • Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

i would pay $5 for a way to more quickly rotate the knob used for setting minimums

cheers

-andy crosby

• Upvote 6

what CBs should be checked during a preflight? In reality, all should and most likely will based on SOPs. The whole point of checking CBs on a preflight is to make sure none have tripped. The ones that are tripped, have been collared and been collared for specific reasons...usually for MEL reasons.

You should be right... Something that makes preflight less interesting is knowing beforehand that there will be no failures, no malfunctions, no tripped CBs during the preflight check...

We hear that "wet starts, hot starts etc" are impossible in the new 737 NGs, because the FADEC would automatically turn off the engines in case of malfunction, but any pilot still has to closely monitor the start of the engines... Seems like the FADEC is not 100% trustworthy...

You should be right... Something that makes preflight less interesting is knowing beforehand that there will be no failures, no malfunctions, no tripped CBs during the preflight check...

We hear that "wet starts, hot starts etc" are impossible in the new 737 NGs, because the FADEC would automatically turn off the engines in case of malfunction, but any pilot still has to closely monitor the start of the engines... Seems like the FADEC is not 100% trustworthy...

it would be pretty darn cool to have the CBs modeled in thar fashion along with a random MEL generator of sorts.

Example,

Start up the Sim, if you want something written up, have the option to randomly generate a deferred item. Like say the apu, or left pack or something.

Or have the option like service based failures to where it randomly assigns a deferral or maybe it doesn't and you have a good plane that day.

It's a little more immersion than just hand picking a failure in the fms.

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

i would pay $5 for a way to more quickly rotate the knob used for setting minimums

I'd pay $20 and buy the developers a drink for a fix for that!!!!

• Upvote 1

Sean Green

A version which incorporates all developments made by PMDG since 2011 plus: more failures like for example "tire burst on take off or landing", "tails strike and it's consequences", "bird strike", hot start, wet start etc, possibility to detect failures on the "preflight" or "cockpit preparation", some mantainance requests, light bulbs failures, "walk around" checks, some level of circuit breakers simulation, maybe windshield "blur" caused by rain, "damage report" after a flight, CFM56-7B27 engines  etc...

You forgot a fully-functional coffee machine, realistic toilet, and IFE with 150+ movies.

• Upvote 2