Sign in to follow this  
georgetyrrell

AI advice and a question

Right, trying my bestest not to be asking the usual new simmer questions but I need to be educated on this one, I have FS9 for about a year but only really getting serious this last month after upgrading PC rig. I live in Ireland and the selection of Add-ons are sparse in the local shop to say the least however the penny only dropped on me recently that you can load AI into FS9. Yeah I know, but it took a browse of forums like this one to be enlightened. So out I went and bought Ultimate Traffic as fast as I could because the box said it was fantastic, and I'm quickly getting the drift thats its not. So I've stumbled on ProjectAI all by myself (Its like watching Monkeys using tools for the first time) and I'm wondering is this what most people use for AI or does one stay with packages such as UT? Is ProjectAI as simple as installing the installer and just loading packages every once in a while? And how does AFCAD come into it?Now even if somebody could post a link to a read all tutorial on these issues I'd be more than happy to put feet up and read it for hours no problem to spare wasted board space, and also is there a particular forum for spanners like me where I can seek more basic info?Much obliged,George Tyrrell

Guest Tomlin

George,Sorry, canny help with Project AI, but I can say that I've never, NEVER had any complaints with Ultimate Traffic from Flight1. Slan,Eric TJacksonville, FL USA

George, try these forums http://www.flightsimmer.com/forums/forumdi...hp?s=&forumid=3 to learn more about AI and AFCAD, but I must ask, why do you think Ultimate traffic is not "fantastic"? IMHO UT is one of the best addons ever. I've been using it since it was released and I couldn't do without it. Did you know that you can use PAI files to enhance UT? You can add repaints, aircraft and flightplans that aren't included with UT like some frieght carriers and smaller regional airlines. You'll also need to learn how to use TTools by Lee Swordsy. TTools is available at the Projet AI site. Good luck.Dave FisherCYYZP4 Prescott 3.2e 478p 800mhz 1mg CPUP4P800S Asus Motherboard1.0 gig PC3200 DDR RAM 400MHZGeforce Ti 4200/128Maxtor 40 Gig ATA 133 HD x2WDC WD800 80 Gig HDhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/ng_driver.jpghttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

In truth there is a possibility that i could be using it incorrectly, its seems that there should be so much more traffic at the busiest airports than there is, also is there a way to get it to this years schedules mine is showing 2003?Slan go fhor

Nice one Dave thanks, I did read the other thread below about using PAI files to replace UT ones so i'll get reading on that one,Thans a mill

Guest JoJoDawg

Hey George check out this thread and what RFields5421 says at the bottom, he does basically the same I do and a lot of other people do. He is around the PAI forums a lot also and me(but I lurk mostly).http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=285052&page=I still think UT is the best AI package out there for realistic flights and ease of install. Works great as a base for updates with realistic flightplans.

Thanks Bill,I also lurk but in more of a Vincent Price kind of way, mmmwahahahahah. So if I Add-on new Airports which I've just done by buying World Airports 2, will the AFCAD files of the new airports be the same as UT or do I have to load the airports into the UT database?

AI traffic requires three equally important components.1. AI aircraft models and repaints2. Flightplans with those aircraft assigned to fly the legs3. Airports with parking for the AI aircraft (AFCAD files).Ultimate Traffic and Traffic 2005 will give you all three. I understand that My Traffic has AFCAD files available, I'm just not sure where / how to get them.If you don not have enough parking for your AI aircraft at every airport in the Active AI Zone - you will have delays loading and you will experience stutters. The Active AI Zone is up to 108nm in every direction from your aircraft.When you install an addon scenery - always check to see if they have an AFCAD file included. Most of the time their file will be better than the one that came with the UT package.You must never have two AFCAD files for the same airport - that will cause many problems. Which is the reason I always move AFCAD files which come with addon scenery to my regular AFCAD folder. There is a great utility - ScanAFD - which will help you find duplicate AFCAD files - there is a link about halfway down this page - http://afcad.projectai.com/faq.htmlYou will have to look at the two files and decide which is best. For the SimFlyers World Airports series - I use AFCAD files from the Project AI AFCAD website - http://afcad.projectai.com/ - the "Official" ones have been tested and verified.As far as schedule updates - Flight1 put out at least two schedule updates in the past - Winter 04-05 and Summer 05 - which is still available on the Flight 1 web site - $5.95 US.I hope a Winter 05-06 update will be out in January. Doing the whole world is quite a bit of work.

Guest JoJoDawg

Reggie got all of it covered. I do the same, were I have all the UT AFCAD installed and head over to PAI and get the packaged AFCAD install them and then run the ScanAFD and remove all the UT AFCAD files and keep the PAI AFCAD. When you install any new scenery you should use the ScanAFD and remove the duplicate UT file. I tend to use the AFCAD file that comes withscenery or go to their website and check to see if there is a better file to d/l.You could use window search function to find a single duplicate AFCAD file(say when you install a new freeware airport and it came with a AFCAD), but would be useless for finding lots of multiple duplicates.Also if you plan on updating the models and plan on flying once in awhile try updating the ones in the area you fly the most. That way you will see your improvements a lot faster.I made the mistake in my first install of exporting all the planes that were not painted in UT and started finding ones that were missing instead of updating all of them. So I ended up updating paints for areas that I did not fly around. I fly around N. America and I try to fly realistic flights. So instead of finding a paint for say Southern China Airlines, I should have took out all of the UT models for say United, Delta, American and so on and used AIA models.I am hoping World of AI takes off that way I can get full packages with updated models and not have to do too many manual installs.

Guest apwright

George,Drop on by the Ultimate Traffic forums at http://ultimatetraffic.flight1.net/forums/and we'll do our best to help you get the best out of UT.Also, I wouldn't bother buying the summer 05 schedules for UT because the new winter 05/06 schedules are due any time now.Regards,Adrian