Sign in to follow this  
toothjockey

X-Plane Newbie

I've been simming for many years with FSX and P3D.  Getting tired of the window telling me P3D has stopped working.  :)

What is the best way to learn X-Plane?  You Tube tutorials?   Need to know where mouse clicks are and what setups are necessary to get started.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Don Maxwell (toothjockey) San Diego, CA
Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

I think you'll find X-Plane easier to set up than P3D.

Although there are some head-scratching moments, like configuring joysticks in the setup screens, which, is still a bit strange to me but you get used to it.

Basically, X-Plane will run a bit better on any rig capable of running P3D. It's also GPU-bound, which means performance scales better the more GPU hardware you can throw at it.

Use an SSD if you can. You might be a little disappointed in the weather engine but I hear they are working on it for the next major release.

At first I found the whole user interface somewhat counter-intuitive, coming from FSX for so many years but, you get used to it.

You WILL enjoy the flight dynamics and the scenery is amazing. Lightning strikes will light up just the area and ground directly underneath the strike. I could go on but I'm sure others will have some input.

Welcome aboard! 

• Upvote 1

Ray S.

Check out my aviation portfolio:

http://scottshangar.net

The best way to learn with X-Plane is to simply explore the sim. Open menus, try clicking things, see what they do. Even the demo, with it's short play time, will let you keep doing this endlessly via restarting. The menus appear a bit more user unfriendly at first, but once you start learning where things are, it becomes second nature. And when you come to a menu setting that you don't understand, it's simple enough to google it or ask in the forum here.

I don't always recommend it as a direct replacement for P3D, since whether it can function as such is often different for everyone - people expect greatly differing things from their simulation experience. But it is a great thing to have alongside another sim, especially since it tends to be a bit more cost effective in setting up. I use both sims, with my choice at any given time generally depending on what aircraft I feel like flying and where I want to fly. I have aircraft I prefer in X-Plane, and I have aircraft I really like in P3D.

• Upvote 3

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is it best to buy direct or through Steam?

Don

Don Maxwell (toothjockey) San Diego, CA
Raptor Lake i9-13900K / ASUS ROG Strix Z790-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA 1700 / Gigabyte Geforce RTX4090 Windforce 24GB /
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 / Corsair iCUE H150i Elite LCD 58.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler /
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 GT / Corsair 5000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower / Samsung 49" 4K / Windows 11 Home 64bit

Guest jlindbe

Go direct via download if you want to participate in betas.

I also recommend direct purchase. Not just for early access to the beta versions, but because -- at least in this current version of X-Plane -- the file structure is DRM-free, and very easy to just copy over intact to a new computer when the time comes. 

I just did that, due to an unexpected computer death. I had the X-Plane folders saved on my NAS backup, so when the new machine arrived I just copied it all over as normal files. Getting back up to speed in X-Plane was super easy. I just had to do a few re-authorizations for the small number of payware planes and utilities that had their own DRM activations.

Steam is easy to transfer between computers too. I have a ton of games in my Steam library that were easy to re-download on the new computer, for the ones I wanted. I just don't like having all my eggs in one basket like that. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

I own it on Steam. I own hundreds of games on Steam though - it's been part of my PC life for a long time, so it was a natural purchase. The RC (release candidate) builds make it to Steam, so you're really only left out of the actual beta releases, which really doesn't bother me. I generally have enough on my plate at any given time, that I don't mind waiting until XP is stable before downloading.

Also influencing my decision to purchase on Steam was that it was on a 50% off sale when I bought it. :smile:

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

Don, 

Similar to you, I've been a long term FS2004/FSX guy, but never felt the need to get involved with P3D. I became interested in X-Plane 10 because of the REP (Reality Expansion Pack) for the Carenado F33. I have a 3-monitor setup and found X-Plane 10 very easy to install and configure Joy stick/rudder and Saitek TPM quadrant. 

Like you, I am still learning and have questions: 

1.) Is there a FSUIPC equivalent?

2.) what about WideFs?

3.) Is there a FS Commander equivalent? 

Thanks for your post - very informative. 

Les Parson

Hi, being using xplane for 4 months or so, enjoying it more tha nFSX. have quiet a bit invetsted in FSX which i still keep. I do believeXUIPC s the FSUPOC equivelant but dont use it. Have some payware alreat teh saab 340m MU2, love them all. Spend much more time in the cockpit than i did in FSX

Let me say this do yourself a favor and buy a payware plane like the IEGX 737 or Flight Factor 767. They make Xplane amazing. Also look into skymaxx v3 and at the freeware airports from MisterX over at Xplane.org.

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Let me say this do yourself a favor and buy a payware plane like the IEGX 737 or Flight Factor 767. They make Xplane amazing. Also look into skymaxx v3 and at the freeware airports from MisterX over at Xplane.org.

Thanks very much for the advice. I must say I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far in just a short time after more than 10 years with FS2004/FSX..  I effortlessly installed XPUIPC and now operate FS Commander, FS Flight Keeper and X-Pause on my network. Everything just seems easier and friendlier than FSX. I don't like the click+drag and wonder if there is a work around for that.

Thanks very much for the advice. I must say I'm pleased with the progress I've made so far in just a short time after more than 10 years with FS2004/FSX..  I effortlessly installed XPUIPC and now operate FS Commander, FS Flight Keeper and X-Pause on my network. Everything just seems easier and friendlier than FSX. I don't like the click+drag and wonder if there is a work around for that.

You'll get used to the click and drag,but I will say the flight factor 767 uses mouse wheel control like fsx

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Thanks, I have the Carenado F33A and there are some significant improvements. Maybe you can explain this: I had my F33A idling on a taxi way at KCLL (College Station, TX USA). I was getting used to the ATC and AI. I go downstairs for a cup of coffee and chat with my wife for about 5 minutes. I come back and find the aircraft - airborne, climbing out of 4000 ft, taking ATC direction! What's that all about?

Thanks, I have the Carenado F33A and there are some significant improvements. Maybe you can explain this: I had my F33A idling on a taxi way at KCLL (College Station, TX USA). I was getting used to the ATC and AI. I go downstairs for a cup of coffee and chat with my wife for about 5 minutes. I come back and find the aircraft - airborne, climbing out of 4000 ft, taking ATC direction! What's that all about?

Are you using the demo ? then it will take over after a while