Sign in to follow this  
Lars Peter Hammer

FS Traffic 2005 problems

I am getting a very strange situation.I have the ATC and cockpit voices that I am used to in T2004 - no change there. But I am finding that overlaying those voices is an electronic voiced controller and pilot!The e-voice is very naff saying such things as "Monarch 302 E-G-K-K tower continue approach to E-G-K-K runway 09 are"!!This was not present in T2004 and when I first installed T2005 (before I realised I should have uninstalled T2004 first) not there then either. So where has it come from?Coincindentally it sounds like the e-voice which prompts when I have started AI smooth! Could it be something in the T2005 prog which has been lurkng?ThanksNigelP.S. I have tried Support but have had no reply.

I seem to remember an option in the Traffic 2005 install where I could select to NOT install their voice pack.I chose that option because of my concern of possibly not working correctly with EditVoicePack.Optional voicepacks sound great in FS - I have one in Spanish which came with the FlyMex scenery.The problem is the HUGE number of recordings which have to be made - something like 25,000+ for each voice (I'm sure someone will have the exact number and I'll be wrong again - but it is an amazingly big number).I would suggest using the CD / Install again - select the update or repair option if there is one and deselect their Traffic 2005 voice pack.Or else re-install.One possibility is that the file - USEnglishBig.gvp - might have been overwritten or corrupted - then you will have to copy it from the CD.

Guest JTEK99

RFields:This post is, indeed, timely.I purchased T2005 for the very specific reason of getting the extra 3 ATC voices that are included. I don't want to install the actual package, though.. I *just* want the voices (I have a few custom traffic packages setup within Ultimate Traffic and don't really feel like re-creating them just yet).I posted a query in their forums, but I haven't really gotten a response. Do you have any idea if there is a way to simply install the voicepacks to my current FS9 setup? Is there something I can simply extract from the DVD? Any ideas would be welcome as I have Traffic2005 sitting here on my desk but not being installed. :)Thanks for any info.P.S.: Thanks also for the headsup on FlyMex having an alternate Spanish ATC voice. Any other packages that you know of which include more voices?

I don't remember any options for choosing voice in the install.There is an option to select or deslect both the default FS9 voices or the FS Traffic voices. I have just the latter selected as I did in T2004.As I say this electronic voice is so naff I can't imagine it to be any option as I can't see anyone wanting it!The second reply mentioned other vocies with T2005? There is nothing extra with my T2005 just the same American/English random mix that was in T2004. In fact I am begining to wonder what is supposed to be different in T2005 - helicopters? Hardly a reason to buy the new version was it!I can't emphasise enough how unlikely this evoice could be regarded as any alternate. If you remember the original Texas Speak 'n Spell toy, then you will know the voice type I am talking about!!Nigel

I'm sorry - you're right - there a utility option after the install to use the default or Traffic or both voice packs.The install renames the USEnglishASOS.gvp & USEnglishBig.gvp files - the utility will change the name to the default name so they are usable by FS."ATC VoicepackThe package includes a custom voicepack. This voicepack provides additional pilot and ATC voices. FS2004 per default only includes US American voices - the voices included in Traffic 2005 are one US English, two British English and one English with a German accent."Is how Just Flight describes the additional voice packs.The 'new' voice packs installed by Traffic 2005 are:Traffic2005VoicesGE.gvpTraffic2005VoicesUK1.gvpTraffic2005VoicesUK2.gvpTraffic2005VoicesUS.gvpThe FlyMex Centro Sur scenery add a voice pack with two Spanish voices in the file:ADDSPA.GVP

In the settings for AI Smooth there are options to show and speak ATC commands. I do not have those checked so I am not sure what effect it has. The quote "continue approach" in your post sounds like an instruction to come out of a holding pattern which is what AI Smooth commands AI to enter and leave to maintain seperation. Since you mention that the chatter seemed to start with AI Smooth perhaps you need to verify those settings. I am now using V112.If this has an effect please post.

Thank-you.I haven't looked into AIsmooth, I just read it that I should run it before starting FS, so as to reduce the number of go-arounds.But would that cause these awful electronic voices which, as I say, overlay the normal Traffic ATC and pilots? I get both the Traffic ATC/pilots and the e-voice talking at the same time but with different messages!Nigel

Nigel,It's AIsmooth that overlays it's ATC call and makes use of these voices, and luckily you can switch them off. - I'm at work so I cant remember how/where - but it's to be found somewhere in the dropdown menu.

Lars,That is good to hear and I look forward to hearing how to fix it.But it still begs the question, why on earth should this happen?!The voice is appauling it speaks at the same time as the normal FS Traffic2005 voice.I thought AISmooth was just make less likelihood of a go around situation occuring. Even so I found two successive AI aircraft were told to go around after the previous landing AI was on the runway! And that was in the first 10 mins of using it!NigelP.S. I haven't realy found much that is new in FS T2005. Even the manual on the disk is still for the previous version!

Anything which happens in the first 10-15 minutes of starting FS with AI traffic cannot be considered normal or correct behavior.Microsoft still has FlightSim programmed to create a burst of AI traffic when you start. You get all the aircraft that should be at the airport and getting ready to go - PLUS all the aircraft which should have left in the previous 15 min.At major airports this can create huge landing and takeoff traffic jams.Personally after initially testing AI-Smooth, I find I can live with the go-arounds for AI.What I've found new in Traffic2005 - the helicopters - though the repaints are a bit .... I accept the model imperfections because the polygon count is down low with multiple LOD.I really love how Traffic2005 has figured out how to make the skid helicopters taxi in low hover.The "tower" aircraft is also neat for spotting.Overall I find Traffic2005 to be a good incremental improvement over the previous packages.The models have a consistency which is not present in My Traffic or Ultimate Traffic - that should be changing - I expect the next version of Ultimate Traffic to have many UT only models.I don't consider it a bad purchase - even if I'll use almost none of the aircraft.

I take your point but the go arounds did happen after that incident too.So is the only significant change between 2004 and 2005 the addition of helios? I too haven't noticed anything more but surely that isn't sufficient reason for them to ask people to buy a new version.That sort of change should have been issued as a free patch!Nigel

Guest f1yerian

I am very happy with FST 2005 except cananyone explain all the missing call signs in their package?I have both default and FST VPs running - the default dives call signs the FST only gves flight nos for many flights in Europe.Ian

>Lars,>>That is good to hear and I look forward to hearing how to fix>it.Sorry for the late answer - I got sidetracked.This is how I stopped the ATC voice: click on File - and go to settings.At the bottom of the list you'll find "Speak ATC messages" just untick to box besides it.At the front there is a box named Enable ATC voice - I've unticked that as well. Never head a sound from AIsmooth after that. That is on the AI Smooth special edition for TRAFFIC 2005.Hope this helps you.edit for spelling.