Hi

Kaby lake 7700k leaked performance tests

http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_device.php?q=c9a598d1bfcbaec2e2a1cebcd9f990a78abd8aba8ac1e780bd90a187f5c8f9dfb68bbb9df5c8f8dea69bab8de88db080a6d5e8d0&l=en

Seems to be approx 7% more performance than 6700k Its inside the 4.2-4.5 boost for 7700k agianst the 6700k 4.0-4.2 boost very small or equal IPC.

Mems 2400 avx downclock as the Broadwell-E

Huh?  Sorry, but this makes no sense to me.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

When are Intel and/or AMD going to release a new CPU that has a significant performance increase over the last generation? I can't help thinking that not much has happened since I purchased an i5 2500k powered system way back in 2011.

• Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Huh? Sorry, but this makes no sense to me.

Regards

Not sure what you mean, but these are early samples, so clock speed may increase closer to launch.

Intel's road map made it clear that Kaby Lake wouldn't be a game changer, just an incremental increase.

When are Intel and/or AMD going to release a new CPU that has a significant performance increase over the last generation? I can't help thinking that not much has happened since I purchased an i5 2500k powered system way back in 2011.

Not really Chris, Skylake is a significant improvement over your 2500k.

Cannonlake is said to be the bigger jump. But then More's law is slowing down. There's only so many transistors that can be jammed into a chip. In fact it was Yield Ramp issues that delayed Cannonlake till 2017.  New technology is in the lab, but it will be a while yet.

CPU IPC isnt the only determinant thats relevant to us though I believe, the memory improvements allied to Skylake had a positive impact on FSX/P3D I think? Anyway, one unverified report doesnt prove anything... :) K

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas14 3200 DDR4; RTX3090

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png

Is issue isn't mores law it's more down to voltage and heat dispersion. We can get super high clock speeds but you need liquid nitrogen to cool the cpu Also the shrinking market for PC's are more people move to mobile devices. I don't really get the draw your so limited on a phone or tablet. They are great to travel with though.

• Upvote 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Put it this way, when I decide to upgrade from my current i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz/2GB GTX 770/16GB Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM powered system (purchased in August 2014), I want double the performance, otherwise paying up to £1000 starts to feel like throwing money down the drain. In fact, it is entirely possible that I would still have been using that i5 2500k powered PC if it hadn't suffered a double motherboard/GPU failure in July 2014 after three years of decent service. My current system is fine, but the increase in performance over the i5 2500k (which was overclocked to 4.3Ghz) wasn't exactly Earth shattering. A GPU upgrade would probably have kept me going for another two years....

• Upvote 3

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Is issue isn't mores law it's more down to voltage and heat dispersion. We can get super high clock speeds but you need liquid nitrogen to cool the cpu Also the shrinking market for PC's are more people move to mobile devices. I don't really get the draw your so limited on a phone or tablet. They are great to travel with though.

Yes it is More's Law. Higher transistor density equates to more heat. And More's Law states that transistor density doubles every two years . There are other limiting factors also of course.

http://ibcomp.fis.edu/speed/transist.htm

Not for much longer. The doubling has already started to falter, thanks to the heat that is unavoidably generated when more and more silicon circuitry is jammed into the same small area.

Put it this way, when I decide to upgrade from my current i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz/2GB GTX 770/16GB Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM powered system (purchased in August 2014), I want double the performance, otherwise paying up to £1000 starts to feel like throwing money down the drain. In fact, it is entirely possible that I would still have been using that i5 2500k powered PC if it hadn't suffered a double motherboard/GPU failure in July 2014 after three years of decent service. My current system is fine, but the increase in performance over the i5 2500k (which was overclocked to 4.3Ghz) wasn't exactly Earth shattering. A GPU upgrade would probably have kept me going for another two years....

Double the performance is asking a lot Chris... What you want and what's feasible are two different things.

Transistors are getting so small that the quantum effects become an issue. As I said though, there's tech in the pipeline that will be revolutionary.

http://www.nature.com/news/the-chips-are-down-for-moore-s-law-1.19338

Put it this way, when I decide to upgrade from my current i5 4690k @ 4.6Ghz/2GB GTX 770/16GB Hyper X Fury DDR3-1600 RAM powered system (purchased in August 2014), I want double the performance,

I remember a time when I was upgrading my PC every year and spending $1,200 each time for a CPU with double the clock speed.  Now I upgrade about every 3-4 years and spend about $700. My understanding is that the laws of physics have made faster clock speeds impractical for consumer level PCs so they have shifted to adding more cores and optimizing what they can instead of faster clock speeds.

Yes, but it's getting to the point where upgrading to a new PC is no longer cost effective. I am reluctant to fork out another grand if all I am going to get is a 30% increase in performance.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Then you wait longer between upgrades, that's all.

Cheers!

Luke

• Upvote 3

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

That is what I intend to do, Luke. The problem I had last time was that I was forced to upgrade because of the major system failure. I don't want that to happen again. Those three weeks without a PC were three of the longest weeks of my life....

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Don't worry Chris, they say that carbon nanotube CPU's will be able to reach 1 THz and beyond. New life to Moore's Law and you can start spending big money on a regular basis again.  :smile:

We can save all the silicone for grotesquely huge boobs!!! I'm a fan of that.

• Upvote 1

I went from i7 3770K OCed to 4.5Ghz to i7 6700K OCed to 4.5Hhz in 3 years and saw some improvement with P3D

But its not as much as I wanted or expecting.

I think we have to wait 6-8 years between upgrades before seeing real big improvements. The positive to this is, you don't have to spend money every 2 years. LOL :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter