Sign in to follow this  
Don Quixote

Ant's airplanes Winjeel released (Demo available)

Heads-up for those of us who love radial engines: The CAC Winjeel by Ant's airplanes has been released!

http://www.antsairplanes.com/winjeel.html

For FSX/P3D/P3D2/P3D3. Note that there is a free Demo version available too!

Admittedly, I've never heard of this aircraft before :P but it looks wonderfully ugly and quirky. As I'm a huge fan of Ant's airplanes, particularly the Eaglet and the Trojan, this is an instant buy for me. His past releases have been outstanding in every way, and I'm sure this new one will be even better.

The feature list reads extremely impressive:

- There are two basic models, Normal and Forward Air Control (FAC). Each model comes in vintage and modern versions which makes a total of four variations: Modern, Vintage, FAC Modern and FAC Vintage.
- Highly detailed model. Fully modelled aircraft including the engine and the unique engine bay petals. The Winjeel has over 320,000 triangles however new coding techniques keeps the framerates as high as possible.
- Animation Manager (shift+3) controls not only animations and preferences but also contains interactive checklists, full pilot's handbook and tutorial.
- In game help. Middle mouse click on any item to open the Animation Manager to the correct page with a full explanation of that control.
- Camera control. Adjust the default eyepoint within the game using the Animation Manager. Note: This function should not be used if you are using EZ-DOK or some other camera utility.
- Interactive checklists display red when any item needs attention. In addition clicking on the camera icon next to each item will move the camera to that item (this is not compatible with ezdok camera utility, disable ezdok to use the camera icons in the Winjeel). You can also set the Winjeel to highlight the mouse zone(s) for each item to aid in learning the aircraft controls.
- Exterior inspection. Using the interactive checklists you can take a virtual tour of the exterior of the aircraft. You can place chocks, remove protective covers and even add fuel and oil by directly clicking on the aircraft itself.
- Three pilots are available, vintage male RAAF pilot and modern male and female.
- Custom sound system. The Winjeel bypasses the default FSX sound system. This allows the engine sounds to more accurately simulate changes to manifold pressure and engine RPM which is impossible to achieve with the FSX sound system. While the custom sounds do provide better control of the engine sounds the disadvantage is that the sounds do not respond to eyepoint position. The Winjeel can be set to use the default sound system if the user requires or prefers.
- Automatic mixture control. The mixture control has four settings only, Idle/Cutoff, Auto Lean, Auto Rich and Full Rich. When set to Auto Lean or Auto Rich the mixture is automatically adjusted to provide the best air fuel mixture ratio.
- Enhanced flight dynamics. Custom coding provides enhancements beyond the capabilities of the standard FSX flight dynamics. These include realistic  prop torque effect, wing drop at stall, better spin characteristics, elevator lift due to prop wash, more controllable taxiing speed as well as a free castoring or steerable tail wheel.
- Steerable or free castoring tailwheel. The Winjeel tailwheel has a switchable tailwheel locking mechanism that allows the tailwheel to be steerable (for take-off and landing) or fully free castoring (for parking). If you don't like tail draggers in FSX because they are hard to control on the ground then try the demo of the Winjeel and it may change your mind.
- Smoke grenade dispenser. FAC models include a smoke grenade dispenser and armament panel. Smoke grenades can be launched to mark strategic targets and they work in multiplayer too.
- Carburettor icing modelling. The Winjeel will model the effects of carburettor icing dependent upon temperature, humidity. This is different and in addition to the impact icing that FSX seems to model.
- Engine damage and wear modelling. Four settings of engine realism are available:
OFF - no engine damage or wear beyond normal FSX behaviour. Use this setting for simple, no worries flying.
PERF ONLY - abnormal engine temperatures and pressures will affect the performance of the aircraft only.
PERF + ICE - as above but carburettor icing is modelled.
FULL - as above but records engine wear. This can lead to engine failure if the aircraft is mistreated.
- Custom fuel consumption coding provides accurate fuel consumption rates.
- Engine autostart routine. Press the FSX auto start key command and the Winjeel will automatically step through the pre-start and start procedures.
- Failures modelling.  You can set programmed failures to test your emergency procedures skills.
- Controller calibration. The Winjeel uses custom coding to control the throttle and mixture controls. You can use the control calibration page of the animation manager to setup your controller. With the throttle you can set the indent position (set for 33 inches MAP at sea level) and with the mixture you can set the range of each zone for IDLE CUTOFF, AUTO LEAN, AUTO RICH and FULL RICH.
- In game weight and fuel loading. Use the Animation Manager to adjust the fuel, oil level and weights of the aircraft directly in game without needing to use the FSX menus. Centre of gravity will be automatically calculated for you.
- Rain effects. Like most aircraft from Ant's Airplanes the Winjeel includes canopy rain effects. This includes working windscreen wipers.
- Canopy window transparency. Easily adjust the level of transparency of the canopy windows directly in game.
- Structural icing effects appear on the canopy windows and wing, tail and elevator leading edges.
- Demo version available. A demo of the vintage FAC model is available. The airspeed, altimeter and vertical speed indicators and engine wear modeling are inoperative in the demo. The demo includes the smoke grenade model so for multiplayer use all players can download the

Particularly note the parts about engine wear&tear, windshield rain effects (!) and structural icing effects(!!). Some high-profile developers should take notes...!

Cheers, :smile:

Steve

• Upvote 1

I've tried the demo and it has an undeniable charm. Unfortunately there were no engine sounds. Had a fiddle with the sound folder (moving it from Winjeel folder to the demo folder. No luck. I think I'll get it anyway.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

It's for sale on Simmarket now.  I just bought it.

I've tried the demo and it has an undeniable charm. Unfortunately there were no engine sounds. Had a fiddle with the sound folder (moving it from Winjeel folder to the demo folder. No luck. I think I'll get it anyway.

Be sure that you uninstall the demo before installing the purchased version.

Selfishly, (I say again, Selfishly :smile:) I wish Ant would return to the fantastic Light GA offerings, such as the Eaglet and Sierra. (Perhaps a Jabiru or CT?)...  But I guess these somewhat obscure military aircraft are his area of interest, and it's his time, and his choice on what he works on in it!

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

If you need a more comprehensive demonstration of Anthony's skill and dedication than a demo version, check out his freeware Tiger Moth and T-28A. The latter has some features (damage, rain, walkaround mode, etc...) that you will also find in the Winjeel.

• Upvote 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

If you need a more comprehensive demonstration of Anthony's skill and dedication than a demo version, check out his freeware Tiger Moth and T-28A. The latter has some features (damage, rain, walkaround mode, etc...) that you will also find in the Winjeel.

Ant's T-28 series is very underrated sim.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?102105-Ant-s-Winjeel-released!&p=1042055&viewfull=1#post1042055

these somewhat obscure military aircraft

I'll grant you that the Winjeel is rather obscure to those of us who don't live down under, but the T-28 Trojan is *anything* but obscure. From it's introduction in the early 50's, it was the primary trainer for the USAF for about a dozen years, and remained the primary trainer for the Navy into the 80's. Really, really neat aircraft, very much a classic. The first time I saw one on the ground, I was really impressed at just how large the thing is. It doesn't look like it should be that big in images, but it's quite massive.

Ant's rendition of it is absolutely superb, flawless even, looks and flies excellent. I hesitate these days to buy aircraft for FSX/P3D, since I don't spend as much time in the sim, but I'll probably pick up the Winjeel based on how much I think of his T-28.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.

I'll grant you that the Winjeel is rather obscure to those of us who don't live down under, but the T-28 Trojan is *anything* but obscure. From it's introduction in the early 50's, it was the primary trainer for the USAF for about a dozen years, and remained the primary trainer for the Navy into the 80's. Really, really neat aircraft, very much a classic. The first time I saw one on the ground, I was really impressed at just how large the thing is. It doesn't look like it should be that big in images, but it's quite massive.

Ant's rendition of it is absolutely superb, flawless even, looks and flies excellent. I hesitate these days to buy aircraft for FSX/P3D, since I don't spend as much time in the sim, but I'll probably pick up the Winjeel based on how much I think of his T-28.

Hi Jimmy,

Absolutely. Don't disagree on any points.  I was just referring to this new aircraft though; not the T-28.   I prefixed my views with the word 'selfishly' (twice lol), just to make clear the point that I personally have no interest in military aircraft, but I do very much love and value Ant's work (and own all 3 of his GA offerings).   Hence, from a personal standpoint, I'd love him to do more GA.    The quality of his work (and the amazing value he provides - low prices) is certainly not under question.

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Greeting AVSIM.

Sorry about the problems with the Winjeel sounds. I think I have tracked down the problem (I had poorly coded the pathways to the wav files which meant they weren't loading) and have created patches for the demo version and the full pay version.

The patches (version 1.02) are available directly from my website here:

http://www.antsairplanes.com/winjeel.html

I will make full installers tomorrow after I have done some more testing to make sure everything works properly.

• Upvote 2

www.antsairplanes.com

I had poorly coded the pathways to the wav files which meant they weren't loading

Now you don't hear a developer say that very often. Come to think of it, I've never heard a developer say that. Kudos.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I tried the demo in P3D v2.5 and v3.3 but in both it didn't work - i tested v1.00 demo with and without v1.02 demopatch.

Installation went through and i could choose the airplane (no preview picture of the plane), but after starting the flight, there was no plane visual at all and some "ghostcamera" started moving....

Edit:

lol .. sorted it out... there is a vehicle called "Winjeel smoke grenade" installed, which i choosed.... don't know what it is, but it did funny things...

found the "CAC25..." and it seems to be a great piece of work!!