Sign in to follow this  
nojwod

questons about flightsim.com vs avsim.com library

Guest alphaext

please don't flame me.... I'm just curious, which library of freeware airplanes, panels, repaints ect. is bigger? avsims or flight sims?thanks.

Guest 727Fan

I'm not sure which services' file library is bigger. Suffice to say, each service provides crucial supportfor the community.I used to use both. However, Flightsim used to allow for2 levels of access, with a donation to them stepping youup to the higher access level. AVSIM doesn't have multiple level access. And it is freefor all. Access has never been an issue at AVSIM.As the community of aircraft modellers, painters, andutility developers have blossomed with the introductionof FS9, I have stopped using Flightsim. I find AVSIM toprovide me with everything I need.But since I haven't been over to Flightsim in a couple ofyears, I can only comment on what I remembered.I just found AVSIM's format easier to use, and easier toget key information on a particular download I was thinkingabout getting.Let me say this. What you prefer is a matter of personal choice. When I was a Flightsim subscriber, they did havedownloads exclusive to them. And as such, I had no problembeing a subscriber because they added value to my simming and I felt a donation was worth that.Today, however, I'm not as intense about acquiring everynew download. So right now, AVSIM suits me just fine. Rick KMKE (And that big blustery front is nearby!)

Guest Ozark Dogfighter

I'm not sure which is bigger, but I definately won't flame: I consider both to be invaluable tools for FS. It just so happens that Avsim is the most visited by me because it's set as my homepage. Why? Takes less time to load that FlightSim!:)-Jeremy BurchThe Ozark Dogfighter http://forums.avsim.net/images/wedge.gifHappy Flying!Pilot: November 123 on a very short final, understand I'm cleared to land ?Tower: Oh, who's talking ?Pilot: Me

As the others have said, each has it's own ups and downs. I feel that Avsim's library is better simply because of the two-tier nature of fs.com's library. That being said, I will typically use both when looking for something, just to see which one has the file I'm looking for.

Avsim rocks.Historically, I have always uploaded to, and regularly checked, Avsim, Flightsim and Simviation. The latter introduced me to flightsim over the internet and so I have a soft spot for this great site which has an excellent and very extensive library; although I have grown a little wary of it of late as they've moved into pop-up land, probably by necessity.I confess to having a first-class membership at Flightsim.com so don't know how the download speeds are these days for the free access users; but I do consider it a must to visit regularly. Some authors support Avsim, some Flightsim, most support both; but they are both professional, well-run and established sites, so they both get my vote.Sometimes I even read their front pages, too!MarkMark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest OneTinSoldier

Hi,I don't know which is bigger, but they both have an absolutely huge amount of files. It wouldn't surprise me if Flightsim's was a little bigger. After all, they allow Splash Screens whereas Avsim no longer accepts them.I used to download from Flightsim pretty often but go there vary rarely now for the same reasons as Rick KMKE. I will go there to to at least get Lionheart Creations latest stuff though! But I really dislike their 8.3 filename limitation, it's so 90's. :-lol At Avsim you can give a file that you want to upload a meaningful name! That helps when it comes to searches on filenames in the Avsim library, and even more importantly, searches in my own disk cataloger. ;) I'm pretty darn certain Avsim uses the Linux OS, which is very cool. I'm an LCP, Linux Cerified Professional. What does Flightsim with it's 8.3 filename limitation use? Win98 server? :-lol Just had to take a poke at them for that. Both sites have VERY reliable service.As for the homepage and forums, it's always been and always will be Avsim for me!Avsim is definitely the coolest of the two. :)Cheers,OTS

No flames here. But if this question / post was raised over at flightsim it would have been deleted post haste and having said that I started out using flightsim only because in those days I did not know of the others, that's since 5.0 fs95 etc. I uploaded my little contributions to flightsim and thought, hey I'm giving them these files so why cant they give ma a free sub but alas no such luck. Which ones bigger? It really matters not to me but now all my addons come here first. When you are looking for that special scenery or panel or whatever you go looking all around so yes they are all great on that score but my sim site is here @ Avsim. :-bigangel Douglas.B707 Ret.

Guest victorwest

>No flames here. But if this question / post was raised over>at flightsim it would have been deleted post haste Perhaps I'll do that and see what happens! :-lol Victor

I couldn't live without both.I have no trouble with 8.3 file naming - actually prefer it because being a certified Old F art - I use batch files and scripts to do a lot of things. Short file names work better.There is still a path character limit even with Windows XP.Some days I can find files easier with the Avsim search function.Some days I can find files easier with the FlightSim search function.One thing really bugs me about the Avsim is the way files are placed / not placed in catagories.If I'm looking for an AFCAD file - on FlightSim I KNOW searching the AFCAD section will find the file.On Avsim - the author could have put the file in any catagory. I wish the librarians would put files in the correct catagories.On the front page today - there are two AI repaints listed under the user repaints catagory.The Original Aircraft catagory is a joke - a signigicant number of the aircraft in that catagory are repaints - both user and AI. Many original aircraft are in the user repaint catagory.However, I wish FlightSim has the rollup catagories like Avsim. I'd like to be able to limit my searches to just FS2004.However both provide exceptional service to the flight sim community.The server space and bandwidth have to cost thousands of dollars per month.Yes I pay for a yearly first class membership at FlightSim and I mail a check for exactly the same amount to Avsim at the same time each year.When I'm a few years older and retired - I may not be able to afford that - so I hope some you young folks will contribute at that time.

I don't know about the relative number of files but I find Simviations categorisation and presentation of available files more user-friendly.AVSIM's forums are way ahead of any others.

Avsim all the way.. ;) Used to upload to both flightsim and avsim but now only the latter. Don't agree with the way it is run.. thats a different topic. Plus I get incredibly poor download rates at flightsim.

>No flames here. But if this question / post was raised over>at flightsim it would have been deleted post haste I don't know about deleting but if it were posted in the main forum it would get moved because it has nothing to do with FS9 nor hardware.VicVisit the Virtual Pilot's Centerwww.flightadventures.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/asv_proud_supporter.jpg

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Personally, I like Avsim. It is much easier to log in, faster to download, and easier to find what you are looking for. I don't like logging in to view a screen that says no node available. I am too cheap to pay for a seat on their website, for the ability to download items I can most likely find here at Avsim. I understand it costs money to operate these websites, and they should. Perhaps as things start to cost more and more, that is the way FS hosts are going. I appreciate Avsim and their wonderful support. It is great to have the opportunity to share files and talk via forums with people of the same interests. :DGO AVSIM! :DKevin

"I don't know about deleting but if it were posted in the main forum it would get moved because it has nothing to do with FS9 nor hardware."I chose not to move this post here because I've made the assumption (although it may be false) that the thread author's interest is in comparing the amount of MSFS offerings available in both libraries.-John

>Avsim rocks.>>Historically, I have always uploaded to, and regularly>checked, Avsim, Flightsim and Simviation. The latter>introduced me to flightsim over the internet and so I have a>soft spot for this great site which has an excellent and very>extensive library; although I have grown a little wary of it>of late as they've moved into pop-up land, probably by>necessity.>>I confess to having a first-class membership at Flightsim.com>so don't know how the download speeds are these days for the>free access users; but I do consider it a must to visit>regularly. Some authors support Avsim, some Flightsim, most>support both; but they are both professional, well-run and>established sites, so they both get my vote.>>Sometimes I even read their front pages, too!>That's right! Flightsim.com and Avsim.com are both valuable, and some authors upload to one site only. I check both on a daily basis. Simviation used to be higher on my priority list, but I can't afford to subscribe to two sites :(