Sign in to follow this  
nojwod

questons about flightsim.com vs avsim.com library

Traditionally fs.com has been the larger site but Avsim is growing faster and may have overtaken them (I don't check numbers).That of course means that fs.com has a higher percentage of really old files, useless for people flying current versions but if you're looking for that rare FS95 Fokker F-VIII (just making up something here, it might not exist) your chances of finding it at fs.com are probably better than over here.The real deciding factor to describe "better" though is the quality of the service rendered and the quality of what you're going to get.The first is IMO better here (unless you pay up for an fs.com "premium" membership or whatever they call it now), the latter is probably about equal.

Guest franksalot

AVSIM RulesI spend nearly as much time here as I do at home....(so 'er indoors says) :)KenSomerset, England

I just like (and do my uploads and forum posts) to both sites...No real preference, since I like both sites and prefer them both to all other sites I know of.And which library is bigger ?? I really wouldn't know (and don't care either).Regards, Rob Barendregt

Guest jlwoodward

Everything I uploaded to Avsim has ended up at Flightsim. Far as I'm concerned, anyone is welcome to help themselves to it as long as they don't sell it. I started with Flightsim and liked their site, and only changed once I discovered Avsim. I just got tired of the logging in. I suspected that was keeping some people away, so if I uploaded there my files might not be downloaded as much.

I tend to use avsim more than All Nodes are busy.comAll Nodes are busy.comAll Nodes are busy.comAll Nodes are busy.comAll Nodes are busy.com:-) No seriously, both are the staple diet of my FS habit.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Which one is bigger?Well as they say size doesn't matter :) It's what is inside that counts. I use an easy method, which one uses less clicks to get what/where you want? Try it...

>importantly, searches in my own disk cataloger. ;) I'm pretty>darn certain Avsim uses the Linux OS, which is very cool. I'm>an LCP, Linux Cerified Professional. What does Flightsim with>it's 8.3 filename limitation use? Win98 server? :-lol Just had>to take a poke at them for that. Both sites have VERY reliable>service.I'm faily certain flightsim.com uses linux or another form of unix as well, unless it is possible to run perl cgi scripts on windows-based webservers. Despite running on unix, the 8.3 file format they're limited to is most likely a limitation of the web BBS software they're using for the site, not the operating system.... :( (That's something they should change to allow long filenames, but that would probably mean remaking the entire site...)As for myself, I use both avsim.com and flightsim.com, forumwise and file librarywise.... Too much opportunity to miss a cool addon if I choose one library exclusively over the other..... :(

StoneC0ld_zps439869f4.png

Declared weather:  FSX: ASN / FS9: ASE

As both Tom and Nels would agree, both sites are necessary to provide the best level of service. If one or other folded, the other might grow fat and lazy. I like Flightsim's files presentation better, because I can come in after a few days away and quickly see what's been uploaded up to the 300 file limit. Logging in and a couple of extra mouse clicks isn't important, I think if two mouse clicks and a couple of seconds ruled my life I'd cash in my computer for a backpack.Nels does allow a few too many lower quality op-eds and reviews, however that also makes Flightsim a more accessible and democratic site for simmers who want to contribute even if they don't really make the grade.