Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Question about 2 displays, 1 connected via dedicated GFX card and 1 by onboard Intel HD 4000

I just recently upgraded to a 4k TV and wanted to know what's the best way to hook up 2 displays. Currently I have my 4K TV connected via HDMI directly into my GTX 1080. I have a 30" display that runs natively at 2560x1600, and would like to use it as my 2nd display to run apps such as PFPX, EFB, ASN, viewing charts, etc. If I had a 2nd computer, I would go that route instead, but I don't and I can't afford it now. So I would like to work with what I currently have for the time being.

I have an ASUS P877Z-V motherboard with onboard graphics using the i7's 3770k Intel HD 4000. The motherboard has 2 type of connections for the Onboard GPU, DVI-I and VGA. 

Would I get better performance hooking my 2nd display up to the onboard GPU (Intel HD 4000) or is it better to hook it up to my GTX 1080 instead?

I'm afraid if i hook it up to the GTX 1080, it will really put a strain on my system because it has to drive a 4K TV in addition to a 30" Monitor running at 2560x1600.

In addition to that, I'm hearing some people saying 'Monitors should never be attached to both. Either all monitors into GPU if using it or all into Motherboard if not using GPU'. If what they say is true, then why are you limited to connecting multi displays to one GPU vs seperate GPUs?

You can view my system specs below in my sig. 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Good questions. I have 2 GTX 970 and sometimes in SLI. Would also lige to know if its possible to hook up another screen for other stuff on GPU 2 when not using SLI in Prepar3D.

Sorry for joining in here.

Do You overclock your CPU? If you do that it might give you a hotter CPU.

Thanks Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Yes my CPU is OC.

I've been having very strange issues with my 30" Display as of yesterday, thats why I went out to buy a new TV. Everything was working fine the day before. But everytime I try to boot up with my 30" Monitor, the led flashes, meaning that my computer can't find a right signal for it, so once it boots up into windows desktop I see a very strange distorted image of my windows desktop running at 1024x768 with mirrored desktop sitting one on top of another. At this point I try to go into the display settings to change the resolution and it only gives me 1024x768 and 800x600. My monitor runs natively at 2560x1600 using a Dual LINK DVI.

I'm not sure what happened to my system for this. to happen? I have been using 2 displays before without much problems. The 30" monitor hooked up via DVI cable to my GTX 1080 and another 20inch VGA (1920x1080) hooked up to my motherboard's onboard GPU (Intel HD 4000). I had to activate the onboard GPU in the BIOS to get it to work.

The only thing I had done differently was unplug my computer from the wall, because there was a storm, and once I plugged it back in and started my computer up was when this all started to happen. Sigh. I even tryed to reset my motherboard's CMOS and it still didn't resolve the issue of detecting my display and giving it a wrong signal of some sort because I can't get my native desktop resolution of 2560x1600 back on my main 30" Monitor anymore.

I had problems sometimes restarting the computer up and I guess the system would somehow mix up the signals on both displays. Sometimes it would make my 2nd display the primary one and vice versa. I'm not sure if this is a Windows 10 bug or what, but it's annoying, and I had to end up buying a new TV.

Anyhow, I would like to see if I can fix this issue. My 30" display is still a great monitor and I would like to use it as a 2nd display alongside my 4K TV to extend my desktop. But problem is. The 30" display is throwing the wrong signal/resolution. I really hope that there's nothing wrong with my monitor or graphics card. How can I rule it out that my GTX 1080 is the culprit? I'm hoping it's not, I just bought this card. But I seriously don't think its the card because it works fine when I connect my TV via HDMI port, it picks up it perfectly. It's only the DVI port that's giving my 30" monitor these issues.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

IMHO, I do not think you can have the 2 Cards working at the same time, it's either this or this, mean if you hook the on-board card you would not be able to use the external one

The other thing is, no matter which card you are using, you will always get your system performance demoted to the less capable one

Cheers

Yair

Well it has been working fine for the past month. I had extended desktop working under Windows 10 using this method.

... wallah .. you have the Intel HD 4000 on board and the GTX 1080 working together ????? 

Yes, it was working, until I unplugged my computer due to a storm. Once I plugged it back in and started my computer up, thats when things started acting weird. Now my monitor is showing up in the wrong resolution. Sigh. I don't know what happened.

The Intel HD 4000 is part of the i7-3770K CPU.