Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

AVSIM has been asked by more than a few people to set up a Newsgroup System for our readers and members. How do you feel about that?

AVSIM has been asked by more than a few people to set up a Newsgroup System for our readers and members. How do you feel about that?  

132 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes, set one up and I would use it
    • No, don't set one up as it will detract from the forums
    • I don't care

I don't really see the point with a newsgroup system when you have a very good forum system. Thus me says Nay. Maybe someone could enlighten me in what way a newsgroup would complement the existing forums? And in what ways it would be negative?Cheers,

Guest ba747heavy

I have mixed feelings. I think the system should be either or. Either we have a forum or we have a newsgroup, it can't and shouldn't be both. It requires a lot of time to browse the forums as it is (at least if your like me and you browse more than one forum), and if I had to also peruse an NG it would stink. Not to mention the fact that new guys wouldn't know about the wealth of knowledge available on the "other" system they don't know about. And the worst thing about an NG - idiot postings. AFAIK an NG can't be moderated so we would have to put up with all manner of silly and irrelvant postings that can't be moderated.

I for one miss the VATSIM and FS2K4 NG's that were around until a couple weeks ago. Yes there is always some troll fodder with unrestricted access but an un-moderated forum also let people express themselves sometimes either anonamously or without concern that their message critical of someone or something would be filtered by a moderator. It's really more just the format was much easier to browse a lot of messages in a lot less time using a news reader versus waiting for pages to load in my browserizor. Jay EklundVP Denver Operationshttp://www.pacificwestairways.com

Jay EKlund

UVA/GCVA Pile-it

My concern with a newsgroup is they are much more open to spam and manipulation, trojan attachments, etc... As a rule I don't browse them for that reason.-John

Guest glnflwrs

To say that in a NG you have to put up with annoyances is calling a hurricane a stiff breeze. I just saluted the AVSIM community for its handling of the recent political events. The group I used to contrast that behavior was the NG's. The animals that lurk there know there is no mediation and excel in personal attacks, threats, and all manner of vulgarity, instigation, provocation, whatever you want to label it. I think in the case of AVSIM it would be tantamount to deevolution and several major steps backwards. We sometimes gripe about locked threads but let me tell you, AVSIM has had a very liberal and friendly, almost parental touch to their chastisement and to me, it is a very welcome and refreshing bit of control.Glenn"If God would have wanted man to fly He would have given him more money"

I also don't see the point of a newsgroup system. I for one am thankful for the moderation here. There has been an increasing trend for things to get rather unruly around here, and I for one don't want to see it get worse in a newsgroup. Honestly I don't think I have a newsgroup reader on my system. I'm sure something on my system will serve that purpose, but it is something that I just don't use. We have a great library and an excellent forum system.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

With a resounding NO... Okay, NNTP is isn't. :)We didn't think so either, but we did want to gauge the interest of the community before shutting down the idea entirely. Thanks for your vote.