Sign in to follow this  
Aharon

d3d11.dll Error

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

After few months of smooth flying, FSX has now refuses to open by saying the error message as seen below:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: fsx.exe

Application Version: 10.0.61472.0

Application Timestamp: 475e17d3

Fault Module Name: d3d11.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.2.9200.16570

Fault Module Timestamp: 5153774d

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00010860

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48

Locale ID: 1033

So I researched on the internet for solution to the d3dll.dll error problem. The common answer is to remove Windows Update KB2670838 but I do not have that in laptop and looking at past update history in windows 7 shows no evidence of installation of Windows Update KB2670838.

I used FSX's automatic repair method to repair FSX but that did not produce any positive results.

Anybody got an idea?

Thanks,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

It sometimes occurs if you have SweetFX installed.  Evidently not compatible in some cases with that hack.

Any modules, like the d3d9.dll hack that are in your main FSX directory load at startup.  If something is amiss, FSX will not start up.  Same goes with the FSUIPC.  If you do not have the latest installed, it may crash FSX at startup. 

The dll.xml and exe.xml load at startup.  Suspect one of those modules not loading properly at startup.  Wish Microsoft error reporting would state something like, "one of your modules, specifically the fsuipc.dll, in your dll.xml did not load properly.  Please check for an updated version".  If you move your dll.xml over to a temp folder or rename it to dll.xml.off, you can see if this caused the problem.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim,

Great to hear from you and I am not using SweetFX or ENB. I do not even have or have not installed the infamous KB number update that everybody calls evil.

I think my heavily used 4 year old laptop is dying. I am afraid I would need to buy new laptop but I do NOT NOT want Windows 10 because everybody say FSX never never works with Windows 10!!

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Hi Aharon,

That's an old KB and I remember getting recurring problems when using IE11 in Windows 7.  I'm almost sure Microsoft fixed the KB but some members might still have it on their system so why it is still considered a threat.  I solved my problems by disabling IE11 and installed FireFox.  Did you try renaming your dll.xml as I mentioned above?  FSX startup problems are easy to fix as it is either in the dll.xml or another module in your main FSX directory as every .dll loads at startup.  Finding the offending module being loaded by the dll.xml is the hard part if you do not know much about computers.

I forgot to mention above that you need to look at what you just installed (FSX related or system related) before this error began.  The d3d11.dll is part of the DirectX runtime program.  You can check to see if you have any problems by typing dxdiag in the search bar of Windows 7 (or 8.1 or 10) and hitting the return button.  It could be a bad video card driver installation.  Nvidia just updated the video driver a couple of days ago and maybe it started after installing the update?

I still have Windows 7 installed but thousands are successfully using Windows 10 with FSX (see our Windows 10 Forum).  Sure there are problems with any new OS and figuring out how to disable UAC and doing basic things like you did in Windows 7, but it appears to be stable.  I have it installed on my laptop but not on my desktop. 

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Shalom Jim,

I already tried dxdiag and it refused to run due to its announced error message Fault Module Name: d3d11.dll.

Also I tried renaming d3d11.dll to fool computer. It refused to let me.

And dll.xml does not exist in my laptop.

Maybe time for me to buy new laptop?

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

The dll.xml is in the same folder as you fsx.cfg but it only exists if you have addons installed, like fsuipc or fsdt airports, PMDG products.

Laptops are nice when you need a computer at another location but I don't think all that great for FSX/P3D.  Still many use a laptop to run FSX and P3D as they don't have the luxury of owning a desktop and laptop and I-Pad/Phone and/or SmartPhone all at the same time.

Personally, I would keep the laptop and purchase a desktop with at least the i7 2600K CPU and the 780GTX.  With my desktop, I purchase the latest CPU, MB, GPU, and memory about every 3-4 years.  I keep my Cooler Master case and take the old stuff out and replace it with the new usually at a cost around $1200.  So a computer costs me about $250 to $500 a year.  With my current system (see specs below), it's hard to discuss upgrades as it works so well for me.  But, the new CPU's, memory and GPU are getting faster and running FSX/P3D a lot better.  I just have to figure out how much better. 

After I get a new system, I may add another SSD or HHD but mostly I just keep the old ones.  The biggest costs for a new system is the CPU and GPU.

You might want to check our Classified section for some good deals our members are trying to sell.  I also like E-Bay as you have a lot of idiots like me.... err, people like me  :smile:  who buy a new system every two years or so and get the latest and greatest and then sell their "old" system at bargain basement prices.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

The dll.xml is in the same folder as you fsx.cfg

Found it and tried to rename it or delete it. My laptop refused to let me.  Thanks for telling me where it is.

Laptops are nice when you need a computer at another location but I don't think all that great for FSX/P3D.

Well laptops had served me well past 8 years of flying FSX and the last one has served me well for 4 years

of FSX flying until since last night, FSX has refused to start with announced error message D3D11dll.

Another reason for my preference for laptop (powerful of course for sake of FSX flying) is that I live in bachelor pad type studio apartment where such space does not permit luxury space for powerful gaming desktop. LMAO

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Found it and tried to rename it or delete it. My laptop refused to let me.

What directory is it in? Do you have a permissions issue?

Well laptops had served me well past 8 years of flying FSX and the last one has served me well for 4 years

of FSX flying until since last night, FSX has refused to start with announced error message D3D11dll.

Not sure why you are replacing the hardware when you're having a software problem.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

What directory is it in? Do you have a permissions issue?

c: documents and settings/aharon/applicationdata/microsoft/fsx

And I do not have permission problems.

Not sure why you are replacing the hardware when you're having a software problem.

well could be aging hard drive since it is almost 5 year old laptop which could be some bad clusters or sector even though all kinds of scan disk reveal no problems.  Somehow, something is screwed up in laptop and I cannot pinpoint.

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

And I do not have permission problems.

I don't understand. You said you tried to rename or delete the file and couldn't. That's a permissions issue. If not, what would it be? That file is not executable code that's locked when the sim is running.

well could be aging hard drive since it is almost 5 year old laptop which could be some bad clusters or sector even though all kinds of scan disk reveal no problems.  Somehow, something is screwed up in laptop and I cannot pinpoint.

It's start with the most likely - it's the software, not the hardware. What video card do you have, and what is the driver version? If it's faulting when running dxdiag it's probably not FSX that's broken.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I don't understand. You said you tried to rename or delete the file and couldn't. That's a permissions issue. If not, what would it be? That file is not executable code that's locked when the sim is running.

Yep that is what makes baffling. Refuses to let me do that even when I am in administrator's right!!!

It's start with the most likely - it's the software, not the hardware. What video card do you have, and what is the driver version? If it's faulting when running dxdiag it's probably not FSX that's broken.

NVIDIA GEFORCE with CUDA GT 640M LE

5/25/2012 Version: 8.17.12.9618

I do not think it is FSX broken.  I think there is something screwed up in hard drive or Windows 7 Pro.

Regards,

Aharon

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

Yep that is what makes baffling. Refuses to let me do that even when I am in administrator's right!!!

What specific message are you getting?

Version: 8.17.12.9618

If I've parsed it right that's the 296.18 drivers, which are old but should still work. Where did you get this version string from?

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

What are the specific error messages you get when you attempt to run dxdiag or rename the DLL.XML file?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

What are the specific error messages you get when you attempt to run dxdiag

D3d11.dll error message

rename the DLL.XML file?

Required trustedinstaller (yes I activated that and it did not work)

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg