Sign in to follow this  
Nathan3219

How short can a 777 land?

Hi there,

i had the chance to fly a B777 F full flight sim. To make it a little challanging the sim techi gave me an engine failure so i landed @ Mainz-Finthen. It is alittle airport just north west of EDDF. The airfield has a 3000 feet runway. I was able to land and come to a full stop. So i presume that as "realistic" I was quite amazed by the brake power of this plane.

Greetz

MJ

My youtube blog________________________Prepar3D v2.5/v3

youtubefooter.jpg

During initial training on the 737 we landed the simulator on 19L at KSNA and made it with room to spare. Later we had a crew land one 3500 feet down 19R at SNA and stop without incident......well other than landing 3500 feet down 19R. This was all with 737-800s which some feel had poor braking (not me). I think if a 737-800 could do it a 777 at proportional weights could do it. 

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Something like this you mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmakSwlYLs0

Or like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap_nyRzEOMI

They actually landed a full sized 747-200 there as well.   Of course, taking it off, no-go!   Dimensions of the runway is the following:

http://www.randairport.co.za/information/

So yes, definitely possible for the 777, but the taking off...

Regards

Werner

Yeah, the take off will probably be done with all seats and the galley removed and a different crew from the one that landed it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Bit of real world input on this - the 777 is known as a 'good stopper' according to the 3 pilots I've been working with on our 777 Cadet Program. Emirates operate the 773 to Newcastle, UK which is the shortest runway on their network at 2329m or 7641ft and it's a Captain only, max autobrake landing which is a bit daft really as it's usually stopped well BEFORE the Q400s, A320s and 737s that you normally see there! 

United operate to Kahului Airport in Hawaii as part of a rotation including HNL and ORD (well they used to, not sure if they do any more) in the 772 and that looks pretty sporty at 2132m or 6995ft! So much so, we include it as the first line flight of the Cadet training program. In reality at the weights you're operating at for the short hop back and forth to HNL the runway length is really no big deal.

The most memorable bit of the HNL leg was the very long taxi out to the reef runway and our salty old UA skipper doing the training recounts the first time he went there as a spotty young DC8 flight engineer. The Captain pulled open the DV window and proceeded to light up a huge cigar. By the time they were ready to line up the cigar was just about done so he flicked it out the window, shut the window and called for the before takeoff checklist….

• Upvote 2

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Bit of real world input on this - the 777 is known as a 'good stopper' according to the 3 pilots I've been working with on our 777 Cadet Program. Emirates operate the 773 to Newcastle, UK which is the shortest runway on their network at 2329m or 7641ft and it's a Captain only, max autobrake landing which is a bit daft really as it's usually stopped well BEFORE the Q400s, A320s and 737s that you normally see there! 

United operate to Kahului Airport in Hawaii as part of a rotation including HNL and ORD (well they used to, not sure if they do any more) in the 772 and that looks pretty sporty at 2132m or 6995ft! So much so, we include it as the first line flight of the Cadet training program. In reality at the weights you're operating at for the short hop back and forth to HNL the runway length is really no big deal.

The most memorable bit of the HNL leg was the very long taxi out to the reef runway and our salty old UA skipper doing the training recounts the first time he went there as a spotty young DC8 flight engineer. The Captain pulled open the DV window and proceeded to light up a huge cigar. By the time they were ready to line up the cigar was just about done so he flicked it out the window, shut the window and called for the before takeoff checklist….

Yep been to HNL a number of times and the taxi to the reef runway is a long one. Its ok when you're leaving but when on arrival after a 10+ hour day of flying (from NJ) you really want to get out of your seat. That taxi to the gate from the reef feels like another hour! Good part is United 777 I was on let you listen to the ATC comms on the approach.

Not to mention Singapore Airlines just started flying their 777-200ERs into NZWN which only has a 1815 metre runway and is notorious for its windy landings. Granted it stops in YSCB both ways it's still quite impressive.

HNL uses 4R for arrivals and 8R for departures currently. I think I read something about 8L having construction or a problem but I can't find it. A nice short taxi from the end of 4R to your gate. Reading the story from Ben at Airline2Sim makes me want the -200ER! - David Lee

HNL uses 4R for arrivals and 8R for departures currently. I think I read something about 8L having construction or a problem but I can't find it. A nice short taxi from the end of 4R to your gate. Reading the story from Ben at Airline2Sim makes me want the -200ER! - David Lee

This is why every preflight includes a look at FAA NOTAMS...., made so much easier with the internet compared to the reams of yellow teletypewriter paper we used to swim though.  Current HNL notam includes !HNL 09/117 HNL RWY 04R/22L CLSD EXC F22 ACFT FOR HICKAM BARRIER MAINTENANCE CERTIFICATION 1609290030-1609290230... plain text: 4R/22L closed until 29 Sep 0230Z for barrier maintenance.

just google faa notam and select notam search. easy.

Dan Downs KCRP