Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jaguar XJ6

Getting tired of paying to beta test...

>From that day onward I decided to wait at>least a week, to see the user feedback.That's a good policy. Although with most addons, 24 hours is more than enough to tell what is buggy and what is not. Look at any aircraft addons now. How many didn't need some sort of patch? Sure, there are always a few like the Dreamfleet 727 which are released in great shape, but those are rare. You want perfection? Wait for the first patch. Can't wait? Then go buy it now. You know most companies will get it right eventually. It isn't like the prices drop significantly for those of us who wait to buy. We end up spending the same amount as the people who buy the first day.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

On the other hand developers have a very difficult job.- Customers complain because release is taking too long to get out the door.- Budgets don't allow for a an expensive beta testing department (unless we all want to pay even more for the addons)- Products will likely become obsolete as soon as MS decides to release a new version of FS- A minority of very vocal whiners in the forums that complain about things like a rivet being misplaced- Have to please a wide range of users, from those that want to click one button to get aircraft started, to those that want to spend 30 minutes doing pre-flight.- Selling to customers with highly customized hardware and software configurationsetc, etc, etc.In other words, it's not usually a problem with the developer (of course some are better than others), but a problem with the system itself.Matt

being a tester of software myself in a few past jobs, I can say it isn't the fault of the testers 99% of the time. The product is rushed to market as fast as possible no matter what bugs are found in many cases

Like Mike said, life is just a big beta test.JimCYWG

*I* am tired of being a beta tester for Microsoft. I've been doing it since Windows 2.x.But I have to say that almost all of my payware airplane purchases have been reasonably fulfilling - e.g. I'm not wondering when the heck the first or second or... service pack will be out. Perhaps I'm just not picky enough, or aren't flying the same airplanes that others are - I fly GA stuff almost exclusively.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

The payware market is now so diverse that company reputation is a huge factor, at least in my buying decision. Those developers who have an unblemished record will have my confidence straight from the initial download. Greg

It also used to be said in the trade "never buy a totally new model of a car until a year after its release". Similar principles apply to most new products.

Then go about it different and take up a job in the software sector as a professional tester.That way you're being paid to beta test :)Of course it won't be much fun as you'll be running the same tiny part of the same application you'll never use after it's released a hundred times or more to define the parameters within which it works correctly and then decide whether those parameters are what they should be and whether failure outside those parameters is in an acceptable way.

I agree with you Reg to A certain point.I too took the plung into the CS 130. I know to expect some minor bugs and inconvenences with new downloads and software. I been at this for years. But for the asking price and the amont of time they claimed for beta testing, I was very disappointed with what I got. But like you said, It was my decision to fork out the cash. But I don't have to be happy about it.Bill M

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I agree that "Life is a Beta Test" If I purchase a piece of flight sim SW I KNOW I am taking a risk ... but hey ... it's MY RISK.PSS were bold and accomodating with the release of their "pre release version" ... i thought it was fun ... frustrating a bit, but fun.NOTHING, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is perfect ... especially in the computer biz ... having been in the computer biz for 30 of my 40 (UGHHH) working years I can say that with some authority ... hahahahahaha.For flight sim ... just think of the permutations and combinations of software and computer hardware ... not to mention addon things such as rudder pedals, yokes, etc ... when you really have a sense of what is there ... then I really believe you would be amazed that anything at all ever works!!!! I am amazed every day!!!Finally, someone, Will Rogers, PT Barnum ... not sure I remember who, said, "You can please some of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time." AND, then there is my old pal Buddy who always says "Everyone is a critic."I say, be thankful for what we have, be constructive in your criticisms and try to offer reasonable problem reports, and enjoy yourself. Imagine ... I have a 2004 Nissan Murano ... $31000 worth of car, which had a recent recall because the alternator could overheat, fail, and you would be left on the freeway at 80 MPH with no power ... hahahahaha ... so I put my software problems into that persoective ... and for $50 set my expectations.I know that LDS, Dreamfleet (F1)and usually PSS (and others I guess)can usually be expected to provide good stuff right out of the chute ... but everyone is HUMAN.Happy that it's Friday!!! How bout you?

What if know one bought on the first day of sale. There would be no one to beta test (as you call it) and assist these businesses to improve their product. Granted I don't want to purchase something that has so many errors that you cannot get it off the runway. However, I do not mind finding little errors and reporting it to the payware businesses. For the most part the items I have reported have either been issues with how I am using it, or there was an actual problem that got solved. Emails and forums do not have emotions, so when you talk to these businesses choose your words carefully and be respectful. I have found they always return the favor in kind. :DKevin