Sign in to follow this  
x-plane 123

LR major announcement at the 2016 Flight Sim Expo!

Yeah, that was always my assumption about XP10 and why I decided to buy it, but here we are 5 years later and still no seasons (unless I've missed something). As someone for whom they are important it always surprises me that they're not more of a priority for devs or users but I guess everyone thinks that about their own priorities. I mean, they're such a big factor in the natural world...no?

Seasons are important, but it depends on where you fly. For the last few years I've been mostly flying in the Pacific Northwest USA and Canada for the mountains and scenery, but it's annoying to see that area looking like summer year-round.

Because seasonal terrain doesn't actually affect flying though, I count it as eye candy more than something essential. In X-Plane. We already have flight related seasonal/weather effects like icing and slippery runways.

Weather though... that's the big one for me. I grew up in South Florida, where in summertime you could count on a steady march of thunderheads across the Everglades towards Miami. In my professional life I worked many years in the Tropics doing airphotos (photographer, not pilot) where dealing with tropical weather and CB's was a day-to-day reality.

Look at the recent history of airline disasters and you'll see a frequent link to a weather component (especially CB's) that is totally missing in current civilian flight sims. It's the new frontier. I want to see more realistic weather modeling more than anything else in X-Plane. 

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

As a eager X-Plane convert/first time customer, I would like to see seasons come into play along with some better water and cloud textures. The weather engines I am sure will come, but the core weather textures of X-Plane are very immersion breaking. The seasons are just startling, especially when watching videos of winter flying and it looks like summer. There is just no global variation. Water is the last big hurdle that I havent seen addressed yet, and it is concerning because it looks pretty terrible in its current state. 

The only other major change I was looking to see was the user interface, which X-Plane seems to have addressed based on their latest build videos. 

Let me guess.... you want 64bit. 

Josh Daniels-Johannson

Agree on all of that (except seasons, which I'd like to see implemented as default).

But for the 1% of simmers like me and Jcomm, what I would like to see are improvements in the flight model, especially the basic calculation of lift distribution and downwash for each wing and their mutual influences, which apparently has not been historically very accurate and is seemingly the major cause of the perceived twitchiness of X-Plane aircrafts.

This!!!

And, if possible, proper daylight according to date and geographical position - I really don't like starting my flight where irl it is still day, and in the sim pitch dark :-) , and the Moon ephemeris and phase too ;-)

• Upvote 4

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yup, they do. In fact you even replied in this thread providing this explanation of PBR. 

Thanks, I'd forgotten about that. It seems to me that they didn't actually add it in flight school but rather are talking about the possibility of adding it since they are updating the engine. I suspect we will likely get it in their new sim when it comes out. I don't own the sim so maybe someone who has it can confirm, but it looks almost identical to FSX from the videos I've seen

At least the lack of seasons makes it easier for devs to make airports  :Tounge:

Agree on all of that (except seasons, which I'd like to see implemented as default).

But for the 1% of simmers like me and Jcomm, what I would like to see are improvements in the flight model, especially the basic calculation of lift distribution and downwash for each wing and their mutual influences, which apparently has not been historically very accurate and is seemingly the major cause of the perceived twitchiness of X-Plane aircrafts.

Hi,

You can count me in for this, too! And every other flight model improvement.

I'm still grateful for the torque bug fix contribution of yours.

Cheers,

Marcus

• Upvote 1

Processing across multiple cores would do me. It would seem to me to be the necessary groundwork for all other improvements. Am I wrong?

Processing across multiple cores would do me. It would seem to me to be the necessary groundwork for all other improvements. Am I wrong?

X-Plane already does this, doesn't it?

IIRC, it's used mainly (or only?) for running the flight models of AI aircraft. The more cores you have, the more AI aircraft you can run. I don't think there is any other advantage with multiple cores, since you only need one for the main flight model and cockpit instruments, and so much of the heavy lifting for world detail is handled by the GPU. 

I believe it also uses multiple cores for loading the scenery, so I think it already does this

X-Plane already does this, doesn't it?

IIRC, it's used mainly (or only?) for running the flight models of AI aircraft. The more cores you have, the more AI aircraft you can run. I don't think there is any other advantage with multiple cores, since you only need one for the main flight model and cockpit instruments, and so much of the heavy lifting for world detail is handled by the GPU. 

I think it also uses multi-threading for the loading/elaboration of scenery, dsf, etc.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Cool, I didn't know it was used for scenery loading (or pre-loading, whatever). 

I imagine multi cores might also be useful if Laminar ever beefs up the weather engine to model things like Cb's and fronts as discrete 3D systems, instead of the current horizontal pancake model. 

• Upvote 1

I imagine multi cores might also be useful if Laminar ever beefs up the weather engine to model things like Cb's and fronts as discrete 3D systems, instead of the current horizontal pancake model. 

Very good point, looks like it would be ideal for it.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

yeah in theory it always is, for the reality i always refer to this picture :)

10849975_10152591681202799_3947848605304

• Upvote 7

yeah in theory it always is, for the reality i always refer to this picture :)

They actually did a write up about it, had a read a few weeks ago, i think its on there blog somewhere, form what I gather it is just too hard, I wonder if anyone actually does "true" multi threading.

xp11 can become my only alternative to ELITE and PSX, if some of the long awaited features find there way into it.

Weather depiction and simulation of it's effects is an area I am really very interested in. If LR finds a way to better represent the currently implemeted features such as wind variability and turbulence, fine tunning them according to what they're supposed to mean when mentioned in METAR and SIGMET, then we already have a good progress.

I don't need the perfect weather injcetion, but the hooks for such an add-on product, or variuos ( competition is always good ) to be developed over it.

Same applies to AI and ATC, again leaving room for good 3rd party products.

If Austin can also take some good time to fine tune the flight dynamics then, that's the cherry on top of the cake :-)

Presently as I am tired of repeating ( sorry guys... ) I use XP10 only as a visuals simulator. I set it to almost minimal rendering settings in order not to interfere with the performance of Aerowinx PSX, but from time to time I start it as well as a standalone simulator. This was the case yesterday, when after watching some videos of a recently released Airbus product for FSX, I decided to remember how much more credible, at least from the handling and response to controls a Peter's Airbus or my QPAC A320 can be, and even the JARDesign NEO, although I prefer the former...

It's a much much more believable feel guys. I don't have that Airbus released for FSX, but simply looking at the videos, where responses from inputs are as brisk as that of an Extra makes me think I'd rather not spend my money on that. Of course I'm not talking systems-wise - that's a different story, and I believe FSLabs A320x has considerably raised the level in MSFS's and derivates world, but the flight dynamics of my XP10 airbuses feel a LOT closer to my experience in the LevelD sims, and my 5 jumpseat sessions...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

It's a much much more believable feel guys. I don't have that Airbus released for FSX, but simply looking at the videos, where responses from inputs are as brisk as that of an Extra makes me think I'd rather not spend my money on that.

Sorry, but judging a product from looking at videos is a joke.

• Upvote 2

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT