Sign in to follow this  
csquared4290

Experiencing higher VAS than FSX...?

Hi all.

Looking for some advice on VAS...I know it's a dead-beaten topic but from my research, it seems like I'm experiencing higher VAS than normal.

So normally I am an FSX:SE'er but decided to migrate to P3D v3 after hearing the latest version has a lot of optimization tricks up its sleeve for VAS handling and management.

I am still in the process of tweaking and fine-tuning, but I am largely a PnP setup right now and I appear to be having higher VAS use than FSX:SE.

Is this the way it's supposed to be? I understand P3D has more updates and more coding to create an immersive experience but here's what I noticed from my latest situation.

So, I installed P3D V3.35, and pretty much mimicked my FSX:SE install.

This means:

P3D V3.35

ORBX FTX Global Base

ORBX FTX Vector

PMDG 737 and 777

Aerosoft Extended X Airbus A320 Fam

ActiveSkyNext Builcd 6010

REX4 Textures

FSPassengers

MyTraffic6

New York City X

New York City Airports X (Only the Newark Airport extension only)

No manual tweaks like Affinitymask or Texture Bandwidth etc...except for fixing directory routes for MyTraffic.

That's it.

And yet, here I am, at the gate in the 737-800 PMDG, at Miami-Dade waiting for my FSPassengers to board and Process Explorer tells me P3D is taking up nearly 3.3GB of its VAS. I tried replicating the same exact scenario and my max VAS with  FSX:SE is 2.7GB.

Framerates are even slightly better on FSX:SE. even with all the scenery sliders jacked up to Extremely Dense.

Is this normal?

Here's what's even more confusing. Last night, I tried this same exact test flight, but at night, KMIA -> KATL in the evening and all was OK until I was on my final approach and I got an OOM warning and CTD! Yet, I can do this exact flight, no problem (and have before) on FSX SE.

I know I can rely on FSX SE to provide me a solid experience but the updates for P3D (and slightly better graphics) make me want to migrate permanently.

System Specs: 

Custom Built PC:

Intel Core i7 4790k Devil's Canyon
ASUS Maximus VII Motherboard
G.Skill 16GBx4 RAM DDR3
MSI NVIDIA GTX670 4GB x2 on latest drivers, clean install, SLI disabled
WD VelociRaptor HD 10k RPM (I need an SSD, I know...Money's tight right meow :) )

Setting Screenshots:
YeaOxA7.jpg
Q91U27P.jpg
7Vq5Aea.jpg
1977OoJ.jpg
ZcyKOa2.jpg

Assistance = greatly appreciated. Thanks gang :)
  • Upvote 1

How do you compare the settings from FSX SE and P3D? Maybe you could move the sliders of Scenery Objects lower.

I read that the settings of scenery objects are different to fsx se.

3.3.5 P3Dv3 does consume more VAS.  We all have to wait for LM to improve this.

Use SLI (Benefit of P3D)

Set textures to 1024

Tesselation Factor to High.  No need for Ultra.  You can set water to medium

Mesh to 5 and Texture resolution (is it 7cm or 5m - only if you want to) - you can go all the way to max

• Upvote 2

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I upgraded to 3.3.5 about a week ago. Got my first OOM ever yesterday (never knew what that blue screen looked like :>) flying the Lear 25 between KLAX and KSFO w/no UT2 traffic on that flight. Scenery normal and vegetation 0, AS2016 4 cloud layer which is how I always fly.

I might be going back to 3.2.3   :smile:

Mark

Lots and Lots of settings Are not equal to FSX. Like Autogen for instance. back to normal in PREPAR3D gives you more or equal to FSX in very dense mode. Look around you. Vas is around 500mb better than in FSX. Otherwise you Are not comparing equal match.

Michael Moe

• Upvote 3

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

I upgraded to 3.3.5 about a week ago. Got my first OOM ever yesterday (never knew what that blue screen looked like :>) flying the Lear 25 between KLAX and KSFO w/no UT2 traffic on that flight. Scenery normal and vegetation 0, AS2016 4 cloud layer which is how I always fly.

I might be going back to 3.2.3   :smile:

Mark

It wont blue screen when you oom...you get a box comimg up telling you it's an oom

14ppkc-6.png

Cool, i will take everything that has been said here into consideration.

I just decided to wipe everything and reinstall P3D and everything included since I was doing a lot of experimenting on this latest install. Now I know what works and what doesn't I'll try and report back to see if I still experience issues after the clean install.

Thanks for the tips everyone :)

What size of Rex textures you use? I just left quite heavy add on scenery (Moscow) in my NGX with high settings and didn't get over 2 gig. I use REX for runways (4096) and ASCA for clouds (2048 DXT5)

No road traffic and building autogen density on dense. Most of shadows on most of reflections off.

My tests show that vegetation is not bringing more vas. Buildings and 32 bit textures are. Also airline traffic in big airports...

It wont blue screen when you oom...you get a box comimg up telling you it's an oom

Good to know.

It was a blue screen with a sad face.... :sad:

Never seen that before either. Assumed it was an OOM.

Thanks,

Mark

That's it.

tells me P3D is taking up nearly 3.3GB of its VAS. I tried replicating the same exact scenario and my max VAS with  FSX:SE is 2.7GB.

Framerates are even slightly better on FSX:SE. even with all the scenery sliders jacked up to Extremely Dense.

Thank you for this thread. FSX-SE with DXFixer consumes less VAS in same scenarios than P3Dv3.3.5 indeed. I've flown MSFS enough to see it.

Cheers,

Dirk. 

I really don't understand what you must do to p3d to reach over 3 gig... can you share scenario with settings?

Thank you for this thread. FSX-SE with DXFixer consumes less VAS in same scenarios than P3Dv3.3.5 indeed. I've flown MSFS enough to see it.

P3D releases the VAS much better,

P3D releases the VAS much better,

No, it does not. :)

Once again - share scenario you want to fly in when you say it does not release VAS. You can't even compare super-duper graphics of P3D to FSX but even if you do, still FSX is much worse in releasing VAS. You're doing something wrong.