Sign in to follow this  
captain420

Is it bad to disconnect DVI/VGA cables while computer is on?

I had no choice but to do this the other day when I powered on my computer to find 2 displays completely black even when booted into Windows desktop. At this point I cannot properly shut down my computer as I can't see my desktop. So I tried to remove the dvi and vga cables from the back of my computer to see if I can get the screens to come back on. Still didn't work, so only option I had left was to do a cold shutdown.

After a few tries of booting up again, the monitors finally displayed. I'm not sure why this happened to begin with. Not sure if its a Windows 10 bug or just one of those unexplained things. 

Could removing DVI/VGA cables while computer is on damage my monitors or graphics card? 

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

First, if it happens again, just press the power off button on your system and hold it for about 5 seconds. It's safer.

Personally, I have seen people short their systems hot swapping monitors although I do not recall ever reading that it is a mandatory no-no.

I don't do it, it's safer and there's no damage in doing an occasional power off shutdown. I wouldn't make a habit of it though.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

So does the same apply to HDMI such as TV's too? or can that be hot swappable? I wish there was a way to perform a "SAFE SHUTDOWN" on windows by holding down the power button for more than 5 seconds, it should force windows to do a graceful shutdown and not a cold one. i know this is a feature built on some NAS storage devices, which is good, because their's times when you cannot see what's on your screen in order to turn off your computer properly.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I just use the keystrokes - don't have to see the monitor

on my system it's

CTRL ESC - bring up start menu

ALT u - select shut down

ALT u - verify shut down

Enter

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Probability is low, but disconnecting any powered peripheral can cause a spike or worst, an electrostatic discharge which could potentially fry the outlet or in unprotected boards the board itself. Specially if the system is not properly grounded and static is high.

As a general rule I do: Power up Peripherals then PC. --- Power down PC, then Peripherals.

If I'm messing with the PC or connections, I discharge any static and use a grounding band,

Cheers.

Vic, cool, I didn't know you can do a blind shutdown using those keyboard shortcuts! I'll have to make note of that. Will come in handy next time I run into a similar situation. Thanks for that!

Yes it looks like my old monitor died somehow. It won't detect the correct resolution when plugged in, and its showing 2 desktops at 1024x768, when the native resolution is 2560x1600. Sigh... that was a very good monitor too. Sad to find out that it's not functioning as it should. 

Could removing DVI/VGA cables while computer is on damage my monitors or graphics card? 

DVI, technically, is hot plugabble. It's pin 16 I believe that's dedicated hot swap. However... the connector itself is only rated to be plugged in and out 100 times. Doesn't mean it will fail if you do it more than that, but that's the design spec I recall. I'm not an expert on DVI cables though, so research to verify.

VGA is NOT hot pluggable! Don't do it!

I wish there was a way to perform a "SAFE SHUTDOWN" on windows by holding down the power button for more than 5 seconds, it should force windows to do a graceful shutdown and not a cold one.

Holding down the power button for 5 seconds has never been anything other than safe for me. Did it recently while trouble shooting an issue with my new rig. Obviously if you have any files open at the time you could lose them. 

You can set up your power button to shutdown your computer. 

On my system it's in the "Power Options" in the Control Panel.  On the left margin, there is "Choose what the power buttons do" and in there you can set the power button to shut down the system like you selected it in the Start menu.  Just press it and forget it...no need to hold it...just press it like you're turning on your computer.

That's how I shut my system down.  Works every time.

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png