Sign in to follow this  
jetsmell

What does Recon mean?

I've noticed with some of the larger aircraft right before touchdown the word recon is announced. What does it mean ?

Do you mean on an Airbus?   The word "Retard" is announced which announces the optimal time the pilot flying is to place the throttles in idle or retard, I've not heard of the word Recon being spoken.

Found something and airliners dot net:

Let me add in plain language... in the Boeing, the autothrottle will move the throttle levers to idle position as well... that gives tactile clues to the pilot (whose hand is supposed to be on the throttle anyways) that the autothrottles are commanding power reduction... 

Airbus does it differently... On Autolands, auto-approaches, or manual landings (where many companies still have A/T on as their policy on the Airbus FBW), how do you know when the computer is commanding a power reduction to idle? This is because of the non-moving A/T... The non-moving A/T is partly reasoned with the Airbus A/T being responsive enough to do it's job in maintaining speed during approaches (even in gusty conditions), because the power commanded does not have to be reflected by moving the throttle positions (7 - 8 degrees of thrust lever movement on the Boeings, Embraers and Airbus non-FBW... so it's limited by that on moving A/T). However, that advantage, requires a method to disengage intuitively when flaring to land. Since on a non-moving A/T, the philosophy is so that you don't need to put in a clutch motor on the throttle quadrant, there's no way to disengage the A/T without being counter intuitive. So, the simple solution is... "ask the pilot to disengage it to idle"... On the Airbus FBW, move the thrust levers to idle will disengage the A/T regardless of what it's trying to do, and go to idle... 

Both the Boeing retard (A/T moving to idle), and Airbus retard (A voice asking you to (become a) "retard... retard... retard"), are generated by the radio altimeters. So, in effect, it both asks for the same outcome... 

• Upvote 1

\Robert Hamlich/

I've noticed with some of the larger aircraft right before touchdown the word recon is announced. What does it mean ?

Your taking about Airbuses and as Hussar said, it's actually saying Retard not Recon. For a long time I thought it was saying Recon as well but it's Retard as is retard the throttles.

Sure, there's plenty of jokes that can be made of this, lol, but it's true.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

It's just an aural reminder to the crew to physically place the throttles into the ground idle detent as in the A320 family, auto thrust is usually left engaged for landing. If you touched down with them still in the CLB detent, the autothrust would disengage and the engines would then spool up again. That wouldn't be fun!

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com