Sign in to follow this  
Barry1948

Autopilot dropping out when switching to gyropilot localiser mode

Guys,

new to this aircraft so trying to fly Lesson 1.

Everything is fine prior to getting the aircraft to follow the direct GPS route to Okare, this includes engaging the autopilot and controlling the direction using the pedestal controller, alas the instant I turn the gyropilot control knob to the localiser setting the electrical release light comes on and the autopilot drops out.

I can see the GPS reflects the command to go direct to the Okare WP, the aircraft unfortunately resents the idea of doing that.

It has worked once but in all other instances this scenario repeats no matter what I do.

Would appreciate any thoughts, regards Barry Sheridan

alas the instant I turn the gyropilot control knob to the localiser setting the electrical release light comes on and the autopilot drops out.

You need to ensure that the turn wheel is centered. There's a clickspot ahead of the wheel (on the silver circle) to center it just in case the position is unclear.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, thanks for the speedy response. This appears to be the answer, magic. It must be very critical because I was returning the wheel to what I thought was centered.. 

Kyle, thanks for the speedy response. This appears to be the answer, magic. It must be very critical because I was returning the wheel to what I thought was centered.. 

Yeah. It takes a little getting used to, unless you want to use the clickspot. In the real plane, there's a detent that it settles into. You obviously can't feel this in the sim, so we've provided the clickspot. The wheel will also hesitate when dragging it back to center, before continuing to the opposite side. The trick in that case, though, is ensuring that you don't accidentally drag it through the detent.

Kyle Rodgers