Sign in to follow this  
Johnny19

New PC config, I know, another one

Guys, I'm on a bugget, and since it's time to replace my ROG laptop with a new PC, this time a desktop I would gladly welcome any suggestions from you. Been reading this forum for a while now and i got even more confused with hardware.

Ok so far i decided on the following:

Cooler COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 X

INTEL Core i7 6700K

ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO, although i might go with cheaper VIII Maximus or even cheaper asus z170 pro gaming/aura

SAMSUNG SSD

CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX black, DDR4 2666Mhz, 2x8GB kit

Now, I need your advice on a graphics card.

Thnx,

Ivan

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

Cooler COOLERMASTER Hyper 212 X

Not a bad cooler for the money, probably can handle Skylake at 4.4 GHz dependant on the silicone lottery and how much heat your particular chip generates.

My vote goes to the Noctua NH-D15S. The "S" variant is the high compatibility variant of the D15. I can tell you that it's cool, ultra quiet and of course, being an air cooler, zero chance of leaks.

CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2A2666C16 Vengeance LPX black, DDR4 2666Mhz, 2x8GB kit

I've said this many times on the forum, but I would highly recommend GSkill Ripjaw V. I have the 3200 MHz kit. GSkill did a great job, top quality Samsung modules and specifically designed with Skylake in mind. Avoid DDR4 designed with X99 in mind.

​Agree with everything else, Asus motherboards are always impressive. I went for the Z170 Deluxe, and have to say that Asus Five Way Optimisation did a great job of overclocking my 6700K. I have a  thread on that if you are interested.

Now, I need your advice on a graphics card.

I went for the EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified... and have to say it have been VERY impressive. 80+ frames per second in Elite Dangerous on Ultra settings with a highly demanding AA setting. 140+ frames per second in BF1 Beta.

​You didn't mention PSU Ivan... quality make, highly important!

You didn't mention PSU Ivan... quality make, highly important!

Thanks so much for your advice! I will check GSkill Ripjaw V. I don't even know if it is available here in Croatia. Concerning the PSU i was thinking ANTEC VPF650, ATX v2.4, 120mm vent, 80+ Bronze.

Edit - found GSkill Ripjaw V DDR4 16 GB with 3000MHz

And going with Asus GTX1060 STRIX.

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

GTX 1070, slightly faster than the 980Ti, 2gb more memory, and will only get faster as drivers improve

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

GTX 1070, slightly faster than the 980Ti, 2gb more memory, and will only get faster as drivers improve

Yeah i know, I would get it, but it's over my budget right now, so I will have to go with 1060, it's 300USD less than 1070. 

Ivan Majetic

Solid choice

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427