Sign in to follow this  
sunstone_leo

PMDG 777 upgrade advice (System)

Hello all,

My name is Chris and I have just acquired the PMDG 777-200 and 300 packages from PMDG.

My system seems to be a bit laggy and was wondering if anyone could offer any advice on upgrading so I get better performance.

My system Specs are:

ASUS P8H77-M LE

Intel Core i5 3330 3.00GHz

16 GB RAM

eVGA Geforce GTX 650 1GB

I am running FSX with add- ons such as:

FSUIPC4
Active- Sky Next
GSX
REX 4
and the sceneries by Aerosoft and FlyTampa.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Gigabyte GeForce 750Ti 2 GB but wated to make sure of what I could do to better the performance.

Any advice would be high;y appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris

Don't spend on the video card, your CPU is the bottle neck.  FSX does all the video processing with the CPU and a more powerful GPU will probably not make a difference.

The easiest thing you can do is run display and scenery sliders at default then experiment by increasing a setting and testing for impact.

Full names in the PMDG forums please Chris.

Dan Downs KCRP

FSX is really ancient when it comes to hardware support and does not even properly support multi-core processors. So you would be best off with a high clock speed-CPU to remedy any lags. Such as the I7 6700k, which gives good perfomance and over-clocking potential for reasonable pricing. You'd need a new motherboard as the 6700k requires Socket 1151 to run. If this is not possible with your current budget, you could try to get an older generation I7 2700k, which can be overclocked to similar speeds as the 6700k. 

There are upgrade kits around, complete with CPU, motherboard and RAM. These might be one way to go for you.

Either way, getting a new GPU won't solve the issue. GPUs with large memory amounts will only help you with very specific types of add-ons like 4k textures.

Thank guys

I'll look into the CPU then first. My current mobo is a socket 1151 so that is a bonus

Thank you again.

Christopher Holmes

Hi Chris,

The CPU you are currently running is a 1155 socket. Be careful there, a 1151 will not fit. You'd have to replace the MoBo as well. As Alexander mentions, try to find yourself a I7-2700K, they should be quite affordable, even second hand should be fine. I have the same CPU and it works like a charm. Be sure that if you OC it though, that you have sufficient cooling. Stock fan is probably not enough.

Thank you guys

I appreciate the help and guidence.

I shall look into the prices here in SA - things tend to be 10 time more expensive on this side