Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

Cured my stutters like never before.

So, I had to RMA a motherboard on my build. I replaced it with an ASUS X-99A USB 3.1 board to fit my Broadwell i7-6800K. Fry's something I've wanted on promo-code and I figured 'why not give it a shot?'

It has been the biggest improvement I have ever seen in my years of simming (FS4 user here). The 256GB Samsung 950 Pro going through a PCI-Express slot. Fresh install of Windows and Prepar3D with ORBX LC, ORBX Vector, ORBX Regions and F1 King Air 200.

OH MY GOD what an improvement. Stutters are gone. I am running autogen on extremely dense. STILL NO STUTTERS. Default flight loads in around 6 seconds. I havent touched the Prepar3D.cfg file.

Anyone else found this gem yet?

To those who do not use the 2.2GB transfer rate the 950 through a PCI-EX Slot: Do it...DO IT...LIKE....RIGHT NOW.

Not only is it an improvement to my simming, more importantly, it makes my Pro Tools/Recording studio run like Clark's sled in Christmas Vacation.  

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

So, I had to RMA a motherboard on my build. I replaced it with an ASUS X-99A USB 3.1 board to fit my Broadwell i7-6800K. Fry's something I've wanted on promo-code and I figured 'why not give it a shot?'

It has been the biggest improvement I have ever seen in my years of simming (FS4 user here). The 256GB Samsung 950 Pro going through a PCI-Express slot. Fresh install of Windows and Prepar3D with ORBX LC, ORBX Vector, ORBX Regions and F1 King Air 200.

Very nice on my next board I will be doing this Maximus formula VIII been looking into it and these things are fast but very expensive if you want a large capacity 

Rich Sennett

A fresh install of Windows and Fs always leads to better fps and more fluidness.

After having added all addons again and having used Fs on a regurlarly base for several months you will see what it really did for you..

• Upvote 4

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Brian,

I have been thinking about this issue ever since I loaded P3D.

I get way more performance than I should.

I5 6400 (Intel HD 530) No graphics card.

16 gig dual channel RAM <--- I tested single 8 and dual 16 and saw a 33% graphics boost

using the windows experience index.

I gave credit to Windows 10 (It uses all 4 cores and is just faster with everything).

I gave credit to dual channel.

I gave credit to P3D DX 11 and the HD 530 being fully DX 12 compliant.

For some time, I have been thinking my Samsung EVO 850 (SATA 3, 512 gig) deserves

more credit. Your results with a PCI-x SSD confirm my thinking.  I wonder how the M2

interface is working for folk.

Of course, I've tweaked P3D within an inch of its life, but that was the case with FSX too.

Anywho. . .  An SSD drive should be at the the top of a P3D simmers upgrade list.

N99WB

A fresh install of Windows and Fs always leads to better fps and more fluidness.

After having added all addons again and having used Fs on a regurlarly base for several months you will see what it really did for you..

this is so true and annoying! after a reinstall i end up with a ferrari that slowly evolves into a ford KA ( no disrespect to ford),I have often wondered what exactly causes this slow drop in performance

Peter

• Upvote 1

this is so true and annoying! after a reinstall i end up with a ferrari that slowly evolves into a ford KA ( no disrespect to ford),I have often wondered what exactly causes this slow drop in performance

Peter<===

In Windows 10, type "startup" into Cortana and make sure other apps (iTunes, G-drive and a host of others) aren't doing "mission creep" on your resources.

N99WB

The 256GB Samsung 950 Pro going through a PCI-Express slot.

Very interesting information, thanks.

Spirit

This goes for anyone that reads this.

I am no noob, extremely far from it. In the past 5 months I have reinstalled Prepar3D and Windows on my rig more than you can even fathom. I've been out of work for 7 months (I worked for R. Kelly as FOH Audio Engineer, the sound guy if you will....that's a whole nother story but my case is getting close to being filed...don't get me started.)

I've done every Windows version, all with a fresh P3D installed. 7, 8, 8.1 and 10. I've done it 3 times in the past month alone. Tweaking the .cfg file until the end of the earth and back.

While you are correct that P3D performs the best on a fresh Windows install, that quickly drops as more things are added to the system, especially add-ons. I always start with default everything. Feel it for a little while and so-on...you get it. I can say with supreme confidence that this will change the lives of all of us...at least, that's what my results are causing me to believe.

Now, who owns a true 2.5GB/Second M .2 Hard drive? Don't confuse this with an SSD, or Solid State Hard-drive. While they are much quicker than your basic Hard-drive at 560MB/Second, this M.2 business is another world. It looks like this...

conclusion.jpg

• Upvote 1

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

Brian,

The drive might have helped compared to your former drive.

My system uses 4 SSD's , all SATA 600 and also have no stutters..

All 500+ mb/s read and write.

You now have a drive ready for the future.

Enjoy your sim ..

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Now, who owns a true 2.5GB/Second M .2 Hard drive? Don't confuse this with an SSD, or Solid State Hard-drive. While they are much quicker than your basic Hard-drive at 560MB/Second, this M.2 business is another world. It looks like this...

I wonder how the M2 interface is working for folk.

An SSD drive should be at the the top of a P3D simmers upgrade list.

Well, hm, let me add some very important information to all this. I am NOT an expert on this but I've been reading up on things because I am considering to get a new PC. As far as my knowledge goes, you are a bit wrong to give all praise and attention to M2.

1. The most important piece of hardware in this topic which you should pay attention to is NOT (mainly) the SSD itself. SSD's are great but there is more to it here. An SSD should indeed be at the top up any upgrade list but you need more than that to get the most out of it, like Brian is getting.

2. M2 is not an interface, a bus, it is ONLY a form factor! M2 on its own won't bring you much (or anything at all) if the hardware and underlying interface (see below) is simply based on old tech. Old M2's simply were SATA drives and only the package was different (bare minimums). M2 on its own won't do you any good like putting an old hard disk in a new case won't help you either. This is why I think it is a bit dangerous to give all praise to M2: some people might end up with a very crappy old hard disk that may only harm things. When you say "Don't confuse this with an SSD" you are actually confusing things because what you want IS an M.2 SSD! Certainly not an old hard drive in a M.2 form. :wink:

3. The most important pice of hardware in this topic is the interface: to get the most out of all this you really want to get a motherboard that has PCI Express 3.0 support which uses NVMe. Not THIS will make a (compatible!!!) SSD FLY!

The best known available and compatible SSD that will work with all this is the Samsung SSD 950 Pro, which Brian has. It obvioulsy is M2 only but as I said, that's merely the form factor: the combination of this specific (or similar) SSD with PCI Express 3.0 and NVMe is what you want!

So make sure that if you want to get the best possible you do get the right motherboard with the right interface and the right SSD.

Please correct me if I am wrong because when I am going to buy my new PC I want the best.  :wink: As I said, I am no expert but I think that what I posted above is true.

Good luck Jeroen

"One day you'll fly away .."

• Upvote 1

I can say with supreme confidence that this will change the lives of all of us...

New hard drive saves world!

...at least, that's what my results are causing me to believe.

I think.

We can hope!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Good luck Jeroen

"One day you'll fly away .."

Haha, thanks. BTW I am not saying this new tech will make your sim flyyyyyyyy like never before: I am only trying to prevent confusion so people won't be spending money on the wrong hardware.

Didn't R.Kelly sing "I believe I can fly"? :smile:

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

Didn't R.Kelly sing "I believe I can fly"? :smile:

yeah.. and stick the key in the "ignition." :Tounge:

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.