Sign in to follow this  
brianbash

Cured my stutters like never before.

Brian,

The drive might have helped compared to your former drive.

My system uses 4 SSD's , all SATA 600 and also have no stutters..

All 500+ mb/s read and write.

You now have a drive ready for the future.

Enjoy your sim ..

Same here no need to feed my M2 connector ;-)

And indeed enjoy your "new" sim...

André

Funny post indeed! :-))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Very nice on my next board I will be doing this Maximus formula VIII been looking into it and these things are fast but very expensive if you want a large capacity 

Hey buddy! You will not be disappointed! Granted this board is overkill!

My specs are in my sig if interested Richard! OS is on the M.2 drive and P3D is on an older SSD. I don't suspect P3D on the 950 Pro would make the sim run smoother...just quicker loading.

Great thread!

Just for fun!

Sweet video and rig - this new motherboard will fit in my custom water loop rig exactly as I have the VII so its a no brainer for me - thanks for sharing - have fun  :wink:

Is that REX water textures - remember which ones ?

Rich Sennett

Have fun too!

REX yes...texture set ummm...wave animation from Texture Direct set #10 Ripple Wind. Water colors and textures from Essentials Plus Overdrive

custom colors.

Have fun too!

REX yes...texture set ummm...wave animation from Texture Direct set #10 Ripple Wind. Water colors and textures from Essentials Plus Overdrive

custom colors.

Ah thank you  :wink:

Rich Sennett

Didn't R.Kelly sing "I believe I can fly"? :smile:

He sure did...He is number 2 on the list of most grammys ever. 

Problem wasn't him as he was decent dude, it was his skeezy new management. Ill try to make it brief...

1) All fine last year, great managment team

2) New managment team this year. Wouldn't know an XLR cable if it hit them in the face. Super Skeez cheapos. After rehersal for this years tour, managment had already put him $350,000 hole. Then the 2 tour busses show up...for a crew of 32...you need at least 7 busses for that size. 1 Bus wasn't commercially tagged so if it flips and you're hurt...best of luck to yah! The other was an old Greyhound with the darn seats still in it. Ummm...no

3) 1 week into the run there were still 32 crew members that had not been paid. 1/3 of them hadn't been paid in over a month. We had a show in Kansas City and the lead carpenter had to go the ER because of dehydration and exhaustion. After 2 shows management had rung up $110,000 in overtime pay that the promoter needed to pay for. I'd seen enough. I stood up for the rest of the crew and really turned up the crock-pot to high. It was completely unprofressional and unheard of in the industry. I was down $3,000 of my own money just to be there to work. I demanded a solution be found out and fast as he was losing the will of every single person on the crew, a straight up mutiny/walkout situation.

Because I took a stand, I was let go. Not right away mind you. I'm talking 3 weeks after the first run when I was trying to get answers on the next round of dates. 2 weeks later the rigging and road crew that has been with Kells for 7 years went about their normal setup of the rig/stage. When they were done, all 12 of them walked out and flew home, leaving a gigantic arena stage setup for the dumbo's to try and figure out how to tear down and pack up. I wish I could've watched with a bowl of popcorn.

Either way, there is a case in the works that the monitor engineer and I are working on to hit his pocket for our lost wages for the year. I was hired for the year and let go for a political reason. Lawyers in the "Chi" are battling for this one.

My specs are in my sig if interested Richard! OS is on the M.2 drive and P3D is on an older SSD. I don't suspect P3D on the 950 Pro would make the sim run smoother...just quicker loading.

Great thread!

Just for fun!

Nice rig man! I'm about to go straight up beast mode with my next build. I need all the cores I can get for Pro Tools HD and Ableton so just to give you an idea...here's the motherboard...

Z10PED16_WS.jpg

Powered by 2 Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2667 v3 (20M Cache, 3.20 GHz, 3.6MHz turbo) which are 8 Core/16 Thread CPU's. That means I will have a 16 Core/32 Thread monster with up to 1024GB DDR4 Ram and 1080ti's in SLI...woof.

Then again, I did get to fiddle on my friends pre-release i9 the other day. Seemless Dual (Mac/Windows) processor. Impressive.

---Brian Bash---
398 HR MEL PPL and climbing!

My PNY SSD shows a lovely Read of 550, Write of 283 and mixed 368...just below that will be the uppercut. My 950 Pro shows a 2,050 Read, 815 Write, 1,058 Mixed...Do the math gentlemen. Stop wasting that empty PCIe X4 Slot on your motherboard. 

Now to go try out the new X-Plane 10.50 demo...

Oh yeah...the pudding

https://www.youtube.com/embed/3dOlkoB1450

---Brian Bash---

Pro Tools

There's your stutter problem right there ... Logic or Cakewalk or go home ;)

But for the record, U.2 is the fastest in terms of I/O throughput, but M.2 is very good also.  Many of the newer motherboards have U.2 and/or M.2 slots on them ... however U.2 connects directly to the PCI-e lanes and doesn't go thru the SATA interface ... resulting is a potential of 4GB/sec (the drives/controllers themselves can operate this fast, but they might in the near future).  So the food chain (top to bottom):

U.2

M.2

SSD SATA6

HD mechanical

Samsung now have a 1TB M.2 (SM961 1TB M.2, but it's OEM only and hard to find for consumer market).

Cheers, Rob.

I use a M.2 drive (Samsung SM951) and I see no big difference between Windows + P3D on the M.2 compared to a SATA SSD. Not in P3D, not in booting up windows. In the bootup there is maybe 1-2 seconds difference. With good will.

But for the record, U.2 is the fastest in terms of I/O throughput, but M.2 is very good also.  Many of the newer motherboards have U.2 and/or M.2 slots on them ... however U.2 connects directly to the PCI-e lanes and doesn't go thru the SATA interface ... resulting is a potential of 4GB/sec (the drives/controllers themselves can operate this fast, but they might in the near future).  So the food chain (top to bottom):

U.2

M.2

SSD SATA6

HD mechanical

Samsung now have a 1TB M.2 (SM961 1TB M.2, but it's OEM only and hard to find for consumer market).

Cheers, Rob.

My $400 Asus Maximus VIII Formula Board cannot run both U.2_1 and M.2 at the same time. Operating U.2 disables the M.2 port limiting SATA Express ports to SATA6G mode!

I am very happy with my Samsung M.2 for the OS. Does anyone think that running P3D on a U.2 or M.2 drive would result  result in noticeable performance increase? What about degradation of drive performance? Faster, slower than an older 3D SSD?

I use a M.2 drive (Samsung SM951) and I see no big difference between Windows + P3D on the M.2 compared to a SATA SSD. Not in P3D, not in booting up windows. In the bootup there is maybe 1-2 seconds difference. With good will.

How is your drive connected? Are you using the M.2 connection directly on your motherboard or a PCI-Express slot? Most motherboards, except for more recent ones, the onboard connecter just uses the SATA bus, so you wouldn't see the difference.

As I said earlier, go to userbenchmark.com and benchmark your rig. Your 951 should be at least 2,000MB/S Read time. If not, I suggest using a PCI-E adapter.

Oh for Pete's sake Rob, get out of here with that nonsense. I challenge you to a dual on Cool Edit Pro!!!

...please tell me you remember that program or my joke is flattened.

Also, you don't happen to have those Rokit 6's still in stock do yah buddy ole pal?

One last jab. I have the new Waves LV1 32-channel mixer as my main rig for the road. Can cakewalk or Logic run 8 waves plugins per channel up to 64 channels with 0.8MS of latency?! HAH!

Well actually, the answer is yes they can...you just need the soundgrid server...dang-it...oh well. Time to go do some flights. I finally got every Ray Smith scenery from FSX working, taxiways and all. I'd like a show of hands of who would like me to ask Ray to release these modified ADE's, with his permission of course :)

---Brian Bash---

How is your drive connected? Are you using the M.2 connection directly on your motherboard or a PCI-Express slot? Most motherboards, except for more recent ones, the onboard connecter just uses the SATA bus, so you wouldn't see the difference.

I have a Asus Z170-A and the M.2 connector on the board is directly connected to the PCIe.

Benchmarks show 2.2 GB/s reading and ~1GB/s writing.

Still no real difference in "real world" (compared to a SATA SSD).

My $400 Asus Maximus VIII Formula Board cannot run both U.2_1 and M.2 at the same time. Operating U.2 disables the M.2 port limiting SATA Express ports to SATA6G mode!

I am very happy with my Samsung M.2 for the OS. Does anyone think that running P3D on a U.2 or M.2 drive would result  result in noticeable performance increase? What about degradation of drive performance? Faster, slower than an older 3D SSD?

Dude...do it...and for pete's sake get away from ASUS. I can't tell you how many X-99AII's I have had to RMA, thats confidential...and embarrassing. Luckily I have a Fry's just down the street and their 30-day no questions return policy has allowed me to try every single build possible in my off time.

I'm now running a solid i7-6800K at 4.3 GHZ on an MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Edition with a single GTX1080 SC.

Hey Rob, opinion please. Fry's has the Strix 1070 on PromoCode for $399. Sell the 1080 on eBay for 700 and grab 2 of the Strix 1070's or just standfast with my 1080 and wait for a Ti?

I have a Asus Z170-A and the M.2 connector on the board is directly connected to the PCIe.

Benchmarks show 2.2 GB/s reading and ~1GB/s writing.

Still no real difference in "real world" (compared to a SATA SSD).

I only see one major difference. I have 6 cores, you have 4. I am running with HyperThreading off. Per Rob's recent and fantastic P3D write up, P3D prefers 6-8 cores. If P3D will eat as many cores I can throw at it, the Dual Xeon 2667-V3 build with a total of 16 cores/32 threads would be a holy grail.

---Brian Bash---

3. The most important pice of hardware in this topic is the interface: to get the most out of all this you really want to get a motherboard that has PCI Express 3.0 support which uses NVMe. Not THIS will make a (compatible!!!) SSD FLY!

The best known available and compatible SSD that will work with all this is the Samsung SSD 950 Pro, which Brian has. It obvioulsy is M2 only but as I said, that's merely the form factor: the combination of this specific (or similar) SSD with PCI Express 3.0 and NVMe is what you want!

Great info there Jeroen.  Thanks

Great thread.