Sign in to follow this  
captain420

AAS16/ASCA HD Content, Full Dynamic Theme, Navigraph Support

I also installed the ASCA HD Content, and sees that it adds 4096 hi res textures, has anyone tried them out yet? I'm currently running my textures in ASCA at 512. I'm afraid to go higher because I run a lot of add-ons when simming. But don't know if their's any noticeable benefits using 4096 HD textures for clouds. Cloud are suppose to be soft.

I am currently using the full dynamic theme, is this the best one to use to get the most out of AS16 and ASCA? That way my sky colors, clouds, etc will dynamically change according to the weather being picked up by AS16.

One thing I noticed when updating from ASN to AS16 is that AS16 now uses Navigraph data, what's the reason for this change?

Also what is the amount of cloud layers you guys are using? Default is 5 but I've always had mine set to 3 to save on VAS and have a bit better performance.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

I personally hate high res HD clouds. Unrealistic. I prefer low res ones. (I stopped using ASCA btw and am back to HDE.)

Full dynamic is the best setting if you want to use all the dynamic options.

Navigraph: no idea.

I also used 3 layers with ASN but with AS16 it seems most people can use the default 5. Performance somehow seems to have improved. Don't really know if it did but I switched to 5 and have no problems with it, only better skies.

Thanks, that's good to know that it has been optimized better for performance. I'll change to 5 layers now and see.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Thanks, that's good to know that it has been optimized better for performance. I'll change to 5 layers now and see.

With all the VAS problems you've posted about over the past month, do yourself a favor and stick to the 512.

Plus I think the 512 look better and softer than high res clouds.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'll probably do that just for that reason alone. I need to limit myself as much as I can. Especially when flying tubeliners, then I really have to start dialing down a ton of things to allow more room for my VAS to breathe.

hi, do i have to install the HD content ? or only the ASCAR .exe . i was not sure  so i installed everything now it looks like i have HD texture on the ground too , is that normal? can i uninstall the HD content if i wish or would that be a problem?

henry

Navigraph - there were many requests for it, so it was added.

HD textures - in the eye of the beholder. I have a very strong system so I don't have a problem running them but I stay with 1024 or 2048. For me, I see very little visual difference between them. Of course, higher res means poorer performance.

Dynamic is the way to go - let AS16/ASCA adjust according to the weather.

I want to get on a soap box for a second - please excuse - 

I have been hearing much about ASCA and soft clouds, ASCA and hard clouds and "cartoony" clouds and I've been thinking of how to comment on that as both a long time beta tester for HiFI *AND* an Avsim Mod - without appearing to have an agenda.

First, whatever you think of ASCA clouds/skies/etc - I agree with. This stuff is PURELY personal preference - so you'll get no argument from me.

However, I have used all the clouds, skies, etc from just about every payware and freeware developer and, IMHO, I have seen cartoony clouds, ugly skies and repetitive textures in ALL of them.

The strength of AS16/ASCA is also it's weakness.

Consider, you buy brandx clouds, you check out the textures - you ultimately decide on the individual sets you prefer - you install them in FSX/P3D and happily fly along with your chosen textures. You CAN do the same in ASCA but one of it's major features is that IT will dynamically alter the textures on the fly - as long as these textures are the ones you "like", all is well - but if ASCA substitutes a texture that is not your favorite - you are not happy.  I'm thinking that a user configurable array of "chosen" sets to be used in dynamic exchanges will be the way to go - that way you will only see the sets you like.

Just hoping to provide a little clarity to the situation.

Soabox off - apologies.

Vic 

• Upvote 2

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Navigraph to provide a navdata dictionary for waypoints, navaids and their frequencies. They had one but not one that was updated and concurrent with PFPX and popular aircraft.

I've played with a couple resolutions and like Vic am content with 1024.

As for cartoon clouds, agree that very seldom do the clouds presented in the simulator by any method are realistic, maybe except for a solid overcast but usually not as thick as the real ones.  Major TS still have a long way to go, and i never see the common summer rain shower that never paints red.  Seems like every return is sold red.  However, having said all that I will stick to AS16+ASCA in dynamic mode.  At times the presentation is nothing short of beautiful.  Most of my real world time is between 14500 and 17500 and I've seen such beauty as cannot be described.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks, so I guess the navigraph feature is used mainly for the built-in AS16 maps to show the nav aids and such.

I'll do some more flying later in full dynamic mode and see how I like it compared to my previous ASN+REX Texture Direct 4 and Soft Clouds setup.

hi, do i have to install the HD content ? or only the ASCAR .exe . i was not sure  so i installed everything now it looks like i have beautiful  HD texture on the ground too but of course more stuttering  , is that normal? can i uninstall the HD content if i wish or would that be a problem?

henry

Only install the HD content if you plan on using 4096 textures. If you don't, you can uninstall them and reclaim some disk space.If they are no selected in ASCA, they have no effect.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Here I have set the ASCA cloud at 1024, so they appear a little softer than a higher resolution.

On my 1x40 - 2x32 view it looks just right...

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

I am battling the significant frame rate drop that occurs with a sold overcast/undercast... my high end system is frame locked at 32 and normally runs an average 30 except for that specific cloud condition when frame rate drops to 8.

I know someone that dumped ASCA for REX Soft Clouds to solve the problem but I am looking for a solution rather than dumping the product.  Trying 512 DXT textures now and it seemed to help by keeping the rate dump closer to 18 than 8. Any other ideas?

Dan Downs KCRP

I switched to a 40" 4K monitor (3840x2160) with two 1070's in SLI - no longer use any AA - system locked at 20 - pretty much stays there even in heavy clouds. Currently running 3 cloud layers and 1024 textures. Edges and lines look great and I see no shimmers.

Vic

I'm thinking that a user configurable array of "chosen" sets to be used in dynamic exchanges will be the way to go - that way you will only see the sets you like.

Yup and it would good if we can add REX textures or other downloaded textures to this library. :)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter