Sign in to follow this  
liamr685

FSX Freezes every flight.

Guys,

After a 3 year long break from simming, I recently came back into it, with installing FSX on my new PC.

Everything was running fine, but I had to Re-install windows 10 a month or so ago...

Now I re-installed FSX yesterday and it keeps freezing randomly, anything between 5 mins from the start of the flight, to 20 mins into the flight, usually when I reach my cruising altitude, or just before.

I have little addons in FSX at the moment;
UK2000 EGCC, EGGW & EGLL
CLS Airbus Collection Long Haul, A340-500/600 & B747-200/300.

Now ive tested it in different aircraft to make sure its not addon specific, and it still freezes.

Ive gone through as many fixes as possible on the forums, but still no breakthrough.
>Tried a complete re-install and removal of old registry entries.
>Set all settings to minimum and gradually increased them.
>Made sure FSUIPC was installed.

Any idea as to what is going on? It was fine prior to my re-install of windows 10.

PC:
CPU: Intel i7 4790K
MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer
GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980
RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz
PSU: Seasonic X-850 80+ Gold 
Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms 

-Liamr685

OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit CPU: Intel i7 4790K Quad @ 4.4GHz MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980 RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: Seasonic X-650 80+ Gold Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms

have you considered FSX-SE? you won't regret, and  it has better VAS management and other fixes. 

Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore(water Cooled) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid, 64 DD4 @ 2800 2 x 2x M.2 in raid 0.

Guys,

After a 3 year long break from simming, I recently came back into it, with installing FSX on my new PC.

Everything was running fine, but I had to Re-install windows 10 a month or so ago...

Now I re-installed FSX yesterday and it keeps freezing randomly, anything between 5 mins from the start of the flight, to 20 mins into the flight, usually when I reach my cruising altitude, or just before.

I have little addons in FSX at the moment;

UK2000 EGCC, EGGW & EGLL

CLS Airbus Collection Long Haul, A340-500/600 & B747-200/300.

Now ive tested it in different aircraft to make sure its not addon specific, and it still freezes.

Ive gone through as many fixes as possible on the forums, but still no breakthrough.

>Tried a complete re-install and removal of old registry entries.

>Set all settings to minimum and gradually increased them.

>Made sure FSUIPC was installed.

Any idea as to what is going on? It was fine prior to my re-install of windows 10.

PC:

CPU: Intel i7 4790K

MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer

GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz

PSU: Seasonic X-850 80+ Gold 

Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms 

-Liamr685

Either switch to FSX-SE or go back to win 7 64.

Windows 10 and FSX Boxed do not work well together.

• Upvote 1

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I had win10 and fsx boxed and did not have a problem with anything but vas. I was getting out of memory and had to lower settings and enable only the departure and arrival airports to save memory. Post your fsx.cfg I will try and help

I do recommend FSX Steam it goes on sale every few months for 4.99

Please see the AVSIM CTD Guide, page 30, freezes during flight.

Windows 10 introduced more security at the request of many customers.  You must make sure UAC is turned off and you have set compatibility to all users.  See page 10 of the AVSIM CTD Guide for fixing must freezes/crashes.  Whenever you have freezes/crashes, you must return your FSX back to the default configuration to make sure it is not the configuration that is causing your crashes.  Page 10 shows you how.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Either switch to FSX-SE or go back to win 7 64.

Windows 10 and FSX Boxed do not work well together.

Can I use my normal FSX addons with FSX-SE?

OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit CPU: Intel i7 4790K Quad @ 4.4GHz MoBo: ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer GPU: nVidea/Gigabyte GTX980 RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair 1600C9 Vengeance DDR3 1600Mhz PSU: Seasonic X-650 80+ Gold Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 1920x1080, 144Hz, 1ms

Can I use my normal FSX addons with FSX-SE?

Yes. I've got the same addons and they run well. Just make sure they are all patched up to latest versions. I moved to FSX:SE a while ago and I find it more robust on my somewhat old system. Very rarely crashes and if it does it's usually because I've enabled too much scenery.

The only adddon I haven't been able to transport from Boxed to Steam is an old C130 transporter.

Rupert

Best regards

Rupert

Might look into it.

Followed the CTD guide, No fix, but fault finding is going to be on hold, as my MoBo fried itself somehow today. Playing another game and everything dies, test my PSU as that was my initial thought, but that runs fine when under the paperclip test. PC just does not turn on.

So yeah, gotta wait for the whole RMA process before continuing with FSX fault finding.

Yikes!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

So I bought FSX steam...

Test flight, with UK2000 EGCC and CLS 747.

EGCC>EDDP, no issues.
EDDP>EGCC, Game freezes like before, but this time on approach.

So im guessing its now running out of VAS on approach to airports with scenery.

Any fixes for this?

UK2000 airports are commonly referred to when one runs out of VAS.  It's like Flight Beam's KIAD HD which is also resource intensive.  I fly out of FSDT KORD to KIAD HD and it is ugly trying to land.  I monitor my VAS using the FSUIPC utility (see AVSIM CTD Guide for details on how to do this).  I usually have about 1GB of VAS remaining on approach but, as I near landing, it goes to 300MB then up to 800MB and ends up with around 200 MB's on landing.  Sometimes it takes me out of my misery and crashes.  Of course I'm flying the PMDG 777 or 737 and I have AS16 weather running.  You just have to monitor the VAS and, if it is getting low, turn off real weather.  If you open up the menu or goto spot view, sometimes that will give you more VAS.  More suggestions in the CTD Guide.  I know of no computer system that can handle it well especially if the user has high settings.  FSX-SE runs great with max settings with default scenery/aircraft.  You install add-ons which are filled with eye-candy and things go downhill fast!

Submit News to AVSIM