Sign in to follow this  
777 pilot

Is the Expansion pack for the T7 worth it?

Hello,

I want to know if the Expansion Pack 777-300ER is worth it. If have bought the base package as a boxed version if it is important. 

I use the FSX steam edition

That is really a personal choice, depends on your budget and goals.

I like to fly actual airline flights down to the same times, gates and equipment.  It doesn't bother me to fly a B77L on an AA route that uses the B772 but when they are using the B77W I always go great I got that one.  I enjoy flying the B77W, they do handle differently and it has a real heavy feel to it but you won't be satisfied with your investment unless it doesn't hurt your budget and share the same enthusiasm as many others for this hobby.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

How is the VC in the expansion pack.  In VR the base package has 2D light bulbs so it looks quite weird as compared to the NGX (in which almost everything is 3D modelled).

For VR it is all about the VC :smile:

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

The panels are different, both are 3D models created with 3DSMax so I'm not sure why the VR device is treating those differently.  I'm in the NGX right now and annunciators appear like lamp assemblies whereas in the 777 I recall them being more flush with the panel... maybe that's what you see. Regardless, it is a true 3D model...just different airplanes.

Dan Downs KCRP

The panels are different, both are 3D models created with 3DSMax so I'm not sure why the VR device is treating those differently.  I'm in the NGX right now and annunciators appear like lamp assemblies whereas in the 777 I recall them being more flush with the panel... maybe that's what you see. Regardless, it is a true 3D model...just different airplanes.

I am talking about some of the non-functional items.  like the overheard lamps and hand handle right about the yoke and even the boom/headset image in 777 - It is all 2d images.  Even the bookshelf is a 2d image though some items are in 3d like fire extinguisher.  In monitor they do appear like 3D due to shadows (and trick photography) but in VR it shows where corners were cut lol.  None of these products were designed with VR in mind.

But if you look at the 3rd picture http://www.avsim.com/topic/412156-24jun13-pmdg-777-virtual-cockpit-preview/ you will see the lamps are in 3D.  Is that only in the 300?

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Very likely... VR wide acceptance is still gaining traction.  However, the two 777 variants are almost identical VC cockpit. There are a few differences in detail but not in general, for example the B77W has a GMCS (ground camera that appears on a DU) and associated light switch not in the B77L.

Dan Downs KCRP

The installers are the same for both download and box products.  The only difference is how you will update.  The box version needs an update from Aerosoft, the download version will be available in your account on line at PMDG.

Use the OC to make sure your base package is up to date.

Dan Downs KCRP

The installers are the same for both download and box products.  The only difference is how you will update.  The box version needs an update from Aerosoft, the download version will be available in your account on line at PMDG.

Use the OC to make sure your base package is up to date.

Ok thank you very much.  I think  will buy the Expansion pack.

I bought the espansion pack last week and so far I don't regret it.  :wink: Let's take a look:

FSX:

$ 89,99 + $ 29,99 = $ 119,98, or in percentage, 75% the base pack, 25% the expansion.

P3D:

$ 134,99 + $ 29,99 = $ 164,98, or in percentage, 82% the base pack, 18% the expansion.

So, I think it's not a big deal in comparison with the base pack.

Yesterday I completed my first flight with the 300ER, and it was a slightly different feeling when in outside view since it's a considerably longer vehicle. So far I didn't notice a big difference in handling, though. The VC has approx. two additional switches, one CAM display select button for camera view, and a Camera lights switch on the overhead panel which I could already use. Camera view does take a fair share of performance, though, but aids you greatly in taking those narrow curves on ground.

I don't regret having spent the additional 30 bucks, and I seriously doubt anyone not having regretted the base pack in the first place would. Also, keep in mind that there are considerably more 300ERs than 200LRs out there in the real world, so if you like sticking to reality, it is also a good investment.

I want to buy the Expansion pack in the Aerosoft Store. How to I update it when there comes a new update?

From Aerosoft.  PMDG will make the update available to them after release and after it proves to be stable.

Dan Downs KCRP

From Aerosoft.  PMDG will make the update available to them after release and after it proves to be stable.

Just wondering because the Support Database does not include de PMDG 777-300 ER Expansion Pack

Just wondering because the Support Database does not include de PMDG 777-300 ER Expansion Pack

I do not recall an update exclusively for the expansion pack.  The underlying core for the expansion is the base package.

Perhaps this is one best you ask PMDG Product Support directly rather than the user forum.

Dan Downs KCRP

I do not recall an update exclusively for the expansion pack.  The underlying core for the expansion is the base package.

Ok thank you very much