Sign in to follow this  
CavalierDuck

Upcoming UK / Mach Loop flights - some aircraft suggestions

For the Saturday flights on 17th and 24th September I am putting together flight plans involving the famous "Mach Loop" in Wales.  This is a low-level military training area where both RAF and USAF pilots hone their skills in the dramatic scenery of the Welsh mountains. A quick search on YouTube for "Mach Loop" will result in many examples of what we're up against, as the Mach Loop is a favourite spot for photographers and videographers.

The most appropriate (and exciting) aircraft to fly will be military fast jets.  However, as these are something of a departure from the usual suspects for our Saturday flights I thought I would post some suggestions for some suitable, nicely modelled and easy to learn freeware jets for those who don't already have something in their hangars. There's no need to fly a Mach 2+ beast, a jet trainer or early subsonic jet will be ideal.

If a fast jet is really not your thing, the next best alternative would be a warbird or maybe a turboprop trainer (e.g. IRIS Pilatus PC-9, freeware).  Otherwise, pick up your fastest GA aircraft and put it through its paces!

Mach%20Loop.jpg?dl=0

Aermacchi MB326 - Dino Cattaneo

Dino's website: http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.co.uk/

MB326 download on AVSIM

Boeing T-45 Goshawk - Dino Cattaneo

Goshawk download on AVSIM

Hawker Hunter (photo above) - Dave Garwood

Hunter download on CBFS

F-80 Shooting Star - Alphasim/SOH

F-80 download at SOH

F-86 Sabre - SectionF8

Sabre download at AussieX

The files needed are the basepack, SP1 and the FSX update.

If you can think of something to add to this list, please feel free!

If I might stick my oar in here. Lotus Sim's L39 is well worth a look. On sale HERE at a bloody sight less that I paid for it.

The F-86 Sabre that Nick mentions is a top grade freeware, although I kept blowing it up on landing! :unknw: 

All I would say is that if you're new to jets choose your weapon now and practice with it all week! You know turbine planes need to be flown 'in advance'? Well double it for fighter jets. (says the expert. :pardon: )

Looking forward to this.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Wow!  The L39 deserves an extended look, imo.  Thanks for the heads up, Ron.

Stew

"Different dog, different fleas"

Since bringing up the L-39 I've been flying quite a bit. It's way better than I remember. The manual is a must, very informative, readable, i.e. not too jargonated and in places humourous. e.g. "6. Ride the spin until initiating recovery, or impact with ground, whichever comes first." :BigGrin:

It's what I will be using on Sarraday.

I'm gonna give the Albatros a whirl and see how it is.  It looks pretty good, I must say.

Stew

While you are practicing your jet skills for Nick's flight, you might warm up with David Symanow's Mach Loop Flight Plans. At FlightSim.com, look for the file "mach_loop_flight_plans.zip". The Northern Entrance might be your cup of tea.

CS_Mach_Loop.jpg

Flying the Loop or perhaps an excursion over the Lake District might be considered a pleasant way to spend a bright sunny day. By the way, during good weather many aircraft spotters and photographers gather on the hills of the Mach Loop to take pictures. If you see the photographers below, then you are flying too high!

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

I've just flown 3/4 of it. Ain't as easy as one might imagine! Magenta line streaks ahead and I over heated my engine and.....

Here the pilot looks up at some Mach Loop spotters on CAD West.

CS_Mach_Loop_Spotters.jpg

Courtesy of MSPG here.

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

That Goshawk is really good   :smile:

Had no idea.. 

BTW  What scenery is required for this circuit?..

Bert

FTX Wales would be good. We await further instructions. Goshawk eh?

It's an extreme bummer but I will not be able to make it until the #2 flight. The last hurrah of flying/eaa/fly ins etc.. before snowmobile trails open - HA! Anyway I created another sheet , same place, just a new sheet. Maybe it will help other participants to pick an aircraft based on what others may fly.  It could even become "theme" based, who knows. It's just there to show your proposed steed, that's all. It doesn't replace the main sheet for the actual event.

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

Mach Loop Practice

Here is the flight plan I use for practice. Fortunately there is an (actually disused) 8000ft long runway at nearby Llanbedr that we can use as a base.  The north entrance to the loop is just 12nm away.  But while flying in the loop I am following the roads and rivers as visual references.

FSX format

Plan-G

A good resource is machloop.co.uk, where there is also a very helpful map.

That Goshawk is really good   :smile:

Had no idea.. 

BTW  What scenery is required for this circuit?..

The scenery I am running is FTX Global + Vector + EU Landclass + Pilots FS Global 2010 mesh - you can see from the screenshot what I get, which seems to compare well with Google Earth images and the videos on YouTube.  I dare say Orbx Wales region scenery might add a bit more detail but isn't required. 

The most important scenery element for this exercise must surely be a good mesh.  If you don't have any mesh improvement that covers Wales, there is a decent UK mesh in the AVSIM library which I used to use - download here.

Glad you like the Goshawk!

It's an extreme bummer but I will not be able to make it until the #2 flight.

Fear not, you'll still get to fly the loop!  My idea is to do it at the end of the first flight, stop for the week at RAF Valley nearby, then do it again at the start of the second flight - giving another bite at the cherry for anyone who can't make the first one or who scatters their aircraft across a Welsh mountainside on the first attempt!

• Upvote 1

Not an easy course!  I found it difficult to follow the correct roads and rivers--took a wrong turn and had to double back.  Got about 3/4 the way through, then crashed!  More practice, mate.  :fool:

The L-39 runs great, however.  Will be flying her Saturday along with Ron.

Practice, practice, practice................

Stew