Sign in to follow this  
Airbus

SSD Did Not Make Me Say “WOW” Using FSX

You can monitor the disk usage while FSX is loading. Usually it's not close to saturating an SSD. It might burst occasionally past what a regular HDD can manage, but the difference isn't that great.

It makes the biggest difference with old FS9-style photo scenery spread over tens of thousands of small files.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

You can monitor the disk usage while FSX is loading. Usually it's not close to saturating an SSD. It might burst occasionally past what a regular HDD can manage, but the difference isn't that great.

What utility could I use to monitor the SSD while FSX is loading?

airbus

Al Kaupa

Digital Storm purchased 8/17/2011; Win7x64: Asus P8P67 Deluxe; Intel i7 2600K@3,9 GHZ; nVidia GTX 560Ti; 8GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Dominator; Power Corsair HX 750W; Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD; 300GB WD VelociRaptor; 1TB Seagate.

Yes AHCI is enabled.  Fortunately Samsung's Magician software had already checked for this.  The Magician software allows the user to perform some tweaks for max performance.  I am still trying to get the most from my system.

Thanks for your reply and comments!

airbus

Don't have many addons beyond AS and Rex Soft Clouds. But running Steams version if FSX without any MS-FSX loaded seems to be a bit faster and Process Explorer shows much better management of VAS. I installed Aivlasoft Electronic Flight Bag and run the Display Unit on it's own computer & monitor. I have a Sandisk Extreme Pro 490GB SSD. I boot up FSX and arrive at the gate in less than a minute with PMDG's 777-200. I noticed something I have never seen before I installed Steams edition of FSX. In the upper right corner of the screen in full screen mode I see (in little white text) the number of frames, i.e 50-60 FPS. Much like when you hit Shift+Z, a little less info is all. WD bought Sandisk I think I read somewhere?

Baldy