Sign in to follow this  
Guest Knikolaes

I've been missing out I guess...

just discovered flying to music. Normaly, I'm all business in the cockpit (GA). Decided to take a short hop in Bill Lyons Luscombe, KHUT to KSLN. Started messing with the groovy little CD player on the panel and before I knew it, had Coldplays X&Y playing in the background. It was a dusk flight and talk about ambiance....I would have to say that this little flight ranks in my top 5 simulated flights. I don't know why music adds so much to the atmosphere, but it certainly does when you let it. Kind of like flying in a movie or something like that.Thought I'd share that little expierence.Not a biggie, just in a great mood after that flight and had to tell someone who knows what I'm talking about. Have a good night all.Dondo

You're not alone. I have a CD player in my favourite DC-3 and on longer flights choose music to suit the mood and area. Something mystical through the mountains of BC or Alaska; Greek melodies when flying in the Aegean; at present we're touring South America in one of our DC-3 multiplayer series and so I'm trying to find music to suit each country we fly through. It does add to the experience, for sure, even with the hum of twin P&Ws in the background.And even in a Tristar, I have a sound panel I call up with various cabin music options. Perhaps not Coldplay, but you get the drift!MarkP.S. I just love that Luscombe, too! I flashed it up only the other night to fly between Vern Opperman's lovely new Grand Forks airport and his older Castlegar. With FSGenesis mesh and a sunset scenario that's one incredible flight in a wonderful little plane. Not far, although it takes a while in a Luscombe! High on the list of my favourite flights ever, though, that aircraft gives real immersion. You can almost smell it.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontVP Fleet, DC-3 AirwaysTeam Member, MAAM-SIM[a href=http://www.swiremariners.com/cathayhk.html" target="_blank]http://www.paxship.com/maamlogo2.jpg[/a]

Guest Rockcliffe

One thing I like to do is to log on to a website that has archived Top 40 radio broadcasts from the 60s and 70s. It's cool to take off in one of Bill Lyon's old crates and fly, for example, over Michigan listening to Motown. Can't think of the url off hand, but you can choose an LA station if your in California, New York if you're in that area. It's cool.In the old days, pilots would tune in an AM station and use it as a radio beacon for their ADF.BlairCYOW

the music to my ears is the AI ATC i have spent months putting in the game, the sweet sounds of the engines, and wind. But thats just me.

I discovered that too, I felt a bit guilty at first out of loyalty to realism but an old Enya CD (can't believe I admitted owning one) is about as good as it gets for me.George Tyrrell

I almost always listen to music in the background when I fly. I just load up an mp3 playlist in Winamp and I'm all set. An alternative for those of us who don't fly online is to listen to some real air traffic control feeds. Even if you aren't listening to the airport you are flying to, it still adds a lot to the flying experience.Some good links:http://www.liveatc.net/http://www.atcmonitor.com/Give it a try sometime. I couldn't believed how much it added.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

You still can tune in AM stations and listen to them even today if you want. We've done it when we've hit ATC dead zones in this area (not to say that you lose ATC, just that they are areas where you rarely hear other air traffic and ATC doesn't have anything to say to you on your VFR plan).----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

BlairFunny you mention the ADF thing. I still tune to some am stations when I fly in real life. You can get some pretty good stuff on some of those am channels(and sometimes horrible stuff also). It works like a charm.

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

Not that unrealistic, there is a specialized CD player for aircraft (a bit pricy though). It's designed to automatically mute out when the comms transmit or receive anything. You can get cellphone attachments for the aircraft too so you can chat on your cellphone in flight using your headset (though considering how well people drive with them on, can't imagine flying. :-hah).Edit: I figured I'd better back up my statements with a few linksPCD7100http://www.ps-engineering.com/docs/PCD7100P_DS.pdfhttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/pcd7100.phpApollo SL15-CDhttp://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpa...pollosl15cd.php----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

Sure I am. Just have not been flying much lately. Lost my FlyDeerValley account too.Dondo>Dondo! You are ALIVE!

Guest KVRNut

Dondo, Glad you discovered flying to music. Have been doing it regularly since FS2k came out. Currently use the CT-114 Tutor jet trainer for my music flights and cloud dancing. Will agree that either early dawn or dusk flights seem to be the most stirring. Guess it must be the colors of the clouds and the contrast between the dark earth and the sunlit sky. Have found that flying to instrumental tunes is really something else and, for me, almost always lead to aerobatics to match the mood of the music. The playlist ranges from Bernstien and Morricone to David Foster. Am now experimenting with flying to the lyrics of some tunes. It isn't easy but it is fun.One thing you will find about flying to music is that before you know it, an hour has gone by, it's time to land, and you've got an ear to ear grin on your face.May the beauty of flight be yours...

I just had an idea regarding my post, is it possible to make such a player in MSFS? Could you tell it to mute on transmit/receive when you have ATC on or are using Squawk Box?----------------------------------------------------------------John MorganReal World: KGEG, UND Aerospace Spokane Satillite, Private ASEL 141.2 hrs, 314 landings, 46 inst. apprs.Virtual: MSFS 2004"There is a feeling about an airport that no other piece of ground can have. No matter what the name of the country on whose land it lies, an airport is a place you can see and touch that leads to a reality that can only be thought and felt." - The Bridge Across Forever: A Love Story by Richard Bach

John Morgan

Guest deKoven

Well sirs, I fly to music all the time. However, as my sys is perhaps moving down to the low end of acceptable, I use my stereo or the CD player attached to it. I have TV, stereo, CD and pooter. Any or all may be on at some given moment. :D

Guest Knikolaes

>. . . I don't>know why music adds so much to the atmosphere, but it>certainly does when you let it. Kind of like flying in a>movie or something like that.>Basically the same reason I almost absolutely refuse to drive long distances without tunes. When by myself the sounds of my car drive me nuts. Drown it out with music and the trip seems to get a lot shorter and more enjoyable (I drive every weekend from Pueblo to CO Springs to get my sweetie to stay the weekend).For some reason I can spend 10 to 12 hours at a time in my flight sim without tunes, and during my flight lessons in real life musik is far from my mind. But in my car it is almost a requirement.One thing in FS that I have tried and love, though. Listed to a band called VAS, album is called Sunyata, while flying Switzerland Professional :-)