Sign in to follow this  
Prayog

P3D - Applications that can be run on network computer.

Hello folks,

I am seeking information in relation to running certain apps on network computer for P3D V3.3.5

The questions are -

1. Which all add-ons can be run on client and which ones are to be run mandatory on server (except P3D!) ?

2. Can 32 Bit XP machine be used as client with 64 bit server (provided all set-up is correctly) ?

3. Is there any generic guide for such set-up avsim or somewhere ? (I am aware of frooglesim video and that every application might have specifics but I am looking for generic prerequisites in terms of pdf or a doc or a thread.)

4. How much high level performance increase be expected on server ? (Especially when we have affinity mask and segregation of cores per add-on) ? (In other words, is it worth the efforts !) (Convenience factor is already understood.)

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Prayog

Server Spces : i7 3.5 Ghz. 8 GB. GTX 970m 3G, Current stable FPS with bars in middle : 20-22.

He he :wink:  Elaine, its old habit of pressing enter and tab while going to next line or making a new para. Doesn't work on forums though. Anyway, I am good, hope you are doing well to.

Regards

Prayog

• Upvote 1

I don't think it is worth the effort.

I have carefully monitored my workstation since the new build months ago.  I use process explorer to look at core loading (HT off no AF) and occasionally I'll see core 0 load up unevenly compared to others so (using process explorer) I turn off core 0 for a few seconds then back on and the load becomes leveled.  Total loading is never above 50% and no other application running along with P3D such as AS2016 ever uses more than 3%.  The CPU is no longer the bottleneck.

My workstation is an i7-6700K 4.7 OC liquid cooled 16GB DDR4 RAM 3300 MHz with GTX 980Ti and a 4K monitor.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

There are many products that can work on a network PC(s) including P3D itself (multi-channel support).

Sample of just a few:

AS16 + ASCA

FSCommander

OpusFSI

PRO-ATC X

PFPX

EFB

Many other products, some you just need to map a path to the "Server"  (PC with P3D) PC.

The advantage to running these products on a separate PC is beyond just the performance benefit (it does add up if you run several of them at the same time), it's being able to view a moving weather map, track you flight path in Google Earth, Monitor AI trafic ... all of these require visuals and screen space, running on separate PCs means you have can have dedicated monitor(s) for those PCs without have to adjust your main FS PC setup.  You can run them all on your main FS PC also with multiple monitors and make sure to not blackout the deskop and turn pause on task switch off ... but this can induce performance issues.

Separate PCs is the preferred option IMHO, especially if you are high resolution displays on those networked PCs.

I have done a document on how to setup SimConnect (and more) for networked PCs, but not sure if it's been published on AVSIM yet.

Cheers, Rob.

He he :wink:  Elaine, its old habit of pressing enter and tab while going to next line or making a new para. Doesn't work on forums though. Anyway, I am good, hope you are doing well to.

Regards

Prayog

I'm good thank you,  Cup of hot Tee  ?   :Cuppa:  

Lol,  Ye i know i was been silly  :smile:    

Anyway,  I was just about to reply but Rob got in there before me and pretty much said i was going to say Grrrr 

• Upvote 1

Add to Rob's list a few more.  Any ACARS from a VA.  FSRealtime, vPilot version 2.0, PFPX, and with the FSL A320 the fuel filling station - I have not tried this yet but I believe it works., WideFS to monitor VAS while flying in full screen mode.

• Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I have done a document on how to setup SimConnect (and more) for networked PCs, but not sure if it's been published on AVSIM yet.

Hi Rob, is this up anywhere?

I have a good PC sitting by idle... and I  also have 3 monitors sitting idle and it has a decent video card too GTX670. ITs just sitting there staring at me everyday... Need to put it to work.

:)

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Rob, is this up anywhere?

Took a while, but here is the first version of the AVSIM P3D Guide goto the SimConnect section, once that's setup, the list of networked products will leverage SimConnect.  Networked PC's don't need to be powerful PCs ... very low end computers or laptops work just fine.

Cheers, Rob.

EFASS and PF3. can be networked and Air Traffic Manager

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Dan, Elaine, Travelling_Wilbury and Mark. Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Rob, I see the guide has already been made available before I would have requested. Thanks to you for putting up so much of effort to enlighten our souls with some serious knowledge and insights.

For all, pasting link to directly jump to - http://www.avsim.com/files/file/87-avsim-prepar3d-guide/

Regards
Prayog

• Upvote 1