Sign in to follow this  
MattPeddlesden

FeelThere Embraer 145 - FMC and ATC

Hi,

I'm traditionally a virtual GA pilot - a twin prop is normally about as big as I like to go.  However for an event coming up soon I really need to be flying something with a bit more oomph as the leg of the journey is really too long to do in a twin - so i've opted for the Embraer ERJ-145 from FeelThere on Steam.  and had my first flight with it last night.

Once i'd figured out that my CH Throttle Quadrant was shutting the engines down repeatedly (doh) I started to make better progress and I've got most of the procedures down now for startup, setting up the FMC and so forth, and a few other bits that I didn't get quite right I think I have figured out for my next flight - which leaves one major issue for me and i'm hoping you can help me understand this bit.

I set up the FMC - in this case from EGSS to EGNX, a nice short test flight.

The flight plan was set up as EGSS RWY 04 via BKY, and then on arrival to EGNX it was via I think PIGOT1J.

I set the aircraft AP up to use the FMC, did the taxi to the runway and got takeoff clearance - after roll I ascended to 1000ft and engaged the autopilot.  At this point, the FMC just wanted to fly on in the direction of the runway without turning west.  What did I miss?  I ended up disengaging AP and flying the route manually following ATC Instruction - which was fun, but probably missed the point.

How do I ensure that the FMC knows the plan that ATC is going to direct me along?  I set the flight plan up using the flight planner in FSX and then added the details in using the method described in the manual for the FMC - but the eventual path that I followed from ATC didn't look anything like the straight line that the flight planner came up with - i'm not looking to fly a straight line, but would be useful if I could validate that it's all working together and not doing two different things some how.

I guess the other question I have then is how to deal with alterations that come in from the ATC like change of altitutde, change of course etc - how do I effect those changes in to the FMC? or do I switch to nav and use the heading but to redirect the plane in those cases?

Thanks in advance - i'm a jet-newb but have to say I enjoyed the flight once I got in the air so i'm keen to get back in the cockpit and have another go :)

Matt.

For the FMC you need to click on the first waypoint and then when it is in the scratchpad click I think the first LSK and then it activates. This is the same for amendments. Just type it in the scratchpad and click the first LSK. I would recommend to go through the tutorial. All in there.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

I set the aircraft AP up to use the FMC, did the taxi to the runway and got takeoff clearance - after roll I ascended to 1000ft and engaged the autopilot. At this point, the FMC just wanted to fly on in the direction of the runway without turning west. What did I miss? I ended up disengaging AP and flying the route manually following ATC Instruction - which was fun, but probably missed the point.

I no longer have the ERJ145 installed and might be getting confused with the Ejets from feelThere (the 175 and 195) but you have to tell the autopilot what to follow. IE: VOR1, VOR2 or the FMC.  Pretty sure the compass rose will have a magenta needle if the FMC is the active source.

Is the first waypoint in the flightplan a vector or "manual"? If so you'll need to "direct to" the next waypoint listed.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe