Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

6700K - Manual Overclocking Voltage.

Hi Martin

Here is some very nice tests from Roman

http://overclocking.guide/skylake-overclocking-power-consumption-and-voltage-scaling/

For 24/7 on custom watercoling i prefer to have 1.42v or less on air 1.32-1.35 with HT on,

With HT off 1.45 custom water and 1.35-1.4v air.

Have one 6700k that do 5.1ghz HT off 1.43 with H110 stable Max temp in p3d 70C , HT on 5.0 1.39v

Ramspeed do approx 0.8% each 100mhz go from c16 to c15 approx 0.6% in P3D v3.3.2

I have a nice set tridentZ 3600 cl15 kit run 3600 cl13 1.4v 24/7.

Just a reminder that comparing cooler cpu temps without quoting

the ambient temp at the same time is pretty meaningless.

I saw a comment on a youtube video (about delidding) bragging about how someone had gotten their temps down to 10*C. They're either keeping it in their mini-fridge or outside in the cold. Then again, it was YT we're talking about...

Digging, here is a test with an Old ati 4890 voltmdded and the good 6700k with HT off

Cooling custom water ambient 20c 3dmark 05 is not hard on CPU singletread app.

Have the vcore at 1.49v , have delidded all my 6700k CPU.s replaced the TIM with Kryonaut Grizzly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4f9q4p5drp3t83/48505.png?dl=0

I've just got hold of a skylake 6700k with a gigabyte gaming 7 board. I'm using the nh d14 as the 15 wouldn't fit in my case.

Not really got any idea about overclocking but I've read that using the auto overckock isn't a good idea.

Is this right?

Try this, should be the same BIOS settings with it being Gigabyte  https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18690667

• Upvote 1

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Not really got any idea about overclocking but I've read that using the auto overckock isn't a good idea.

Is this right?

Well no, that's not true. I have no experience of Gigabyte boards but in terms of the Asus equivalent, 5 Way Optimisation, that's certainly not the case. Gigabyte are a good manufacturer, so I doubt it's the case for their software either.

You see this a lot in forums, as soon as you mention auto overclocking they throw their arms in the air, wring their hands and warn of death and destruction, exploding motherboards and thermonuclear meltdown.  :smile:

These individuals just copy each other to be honest. One self appointed guru or another claims auto overclocking is bad [may have been, in the context he was referring to] and all the other lemmings jump on the bandwagon and pass on the same information, whether it's actually true for that specific software or not.

Yes indeed, from time to time you come across auto overclock software that's in need of a patch or two, and yes, perhaps not perfected and best avoided but to generalise and condemn all auto overclocking software from all manufactures is stupidity.

What I was referring to in this thread was the Asus Five Way Optimisation auto overclocking software. I mention how it adds a bit more voltage than when I manually overclock. It's not  a vast increase in voltage, it's not disastrous, it's not beyond a safe level. In fact, 5WO is designed to only increase the voltage within safe levels. 

5WO also includes the facility to set a max voltage, max temperature or max frequency. So the user has total control over the process. It's a perfectly valid approach to use 5WO to overclock, and then nip into the UEFI and tweak the voltage down if you desire. That way, using 5WO as a starting point.

As usual I've babbled on needlessly, but NO, it's not true that all auto overclocking software should be avoided and is a pile of doggy poo. In fact quite a few on this forum and some in this thread, overclock using 5WO.

I have my 6700K running at 4.80Ghz HT Off, 24/7 at 1.42 volts and on my Corsiar H110GTX and never break 78c under full load. This is also in conjunction with my XMP Profile with the DDR4 3200Mhz memory. 

What kind of full load Angelo? Stress test? If so which one, and AVX or not? The H110 is a great cooler, so I suspect you must mean in a pretty tough stress test. Ambient? 

, have delidded all my 6700k CPU.s replaced the TIM with Kryonaut Grizzly.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4f9q4p5drp3t83/48505.png?dl=0

Hi Hasse.

Why did you go for Grissly instead of Liquid Pro or Ultra. What kind of temp reduction from delliding did you see?  :smile:

Just tried them settings and everything is running ok at the moment.

Haven't stressed test it properly yet, any advice on the best program for that.

I've downloaded cpu z but apparently it's not very good for testing.

I tend not to bother any more.  Run a few consecutive 3dmark benchmark runs, and if it's stable, I start gaming with it.  A few extended sessions, if it hasn't fallen over, it's unlikely to.  Obviously just watch the temperatures under load

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

What kind of full load Angelo? Stress test? If so which one, and AVX or not? The H110 is a great cooler, so I suspect you must mean in a pretty tough stress test. Ambient? 

I used OCCT various data sets all 4 cores pinned 100% load for hours. After that I just ran various FSX and P3D scenarios for my real world testing. It all passed and checked out. Ambient air temp is 72F or 22C. 

Hi Martin

Have a lot of Grizzly , and Its the only that work if a want to go zubzero.

Tested one normal 6700k for fun think the grizzly do 6-10c not sure.

Did a short video with bios settings , Aida64 one hour test at 4.6ghz and Test in P3D v3.3.2.

4.6 HT on AM116 , 4.6 HT off no AM and 4.8 HT off.

Have a lot of Grizzly , and Its the only that work if a want to go zubzero.

Are you still tinkering with sub zero then Hasse?

Yes Martin but only for competition at HWbot , but only with LN2.

Have one of the 3 spare 6700k in the sim the worst one.

Grizzly work really good dont think i can go one multi more with liquid metal and have 3 big 30g tubes with grizzly.

I do all tests in P3D V3.3.2 at ambient 21-23C the cooler is a H110.

Have some spare time now and have tested a lot of differnt DDR4 mems , run the CPU at optimized Default with 2133XMP then CPU 4.5gh and the mems from 2666mhz XMP up to 3600mhz XMP.

Kits differnt one like kingston hyper fury , corsair , G-Skill Ripjaws 4 , V , TridentZ it was some suprizing results

My 4790k runs at 4.5ghz at 1.15v lol I would never push it pas 1.3v. 1.45v is insane and will degrade the chip quickly.

Well after overclocking to 4.6 I ran prime95 and it failed a lot so I've just gone back to stock for now.

Prime 95 isn't the best as. It goes well past real world tests. I run OCCT for 5 minutes if it holds the OC is good. I've never had an issue with this method for the past 6 years I've been oc'ing cpu's. A 24hour test just stresses everything from you cooling system on and is pointless for gaming or sims as you'll never be at 100% for more than 5 minutes

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Skylake run much cooler than Haswell with high vcore, no voltage regulators in the chip

If you do the Aïda FPU test you have lower temps with a Skylake at 1.45 then 1.32 on a Haswell.

On Extreme cooling LN2 max safe vcore on 4770k or 4790k is 1.75-1.8v over that r.i.p compared to

1.9-1.95v on a 6700k

I see the same on AIO cooling you can run the Skylake with 0.1-0.15v higher vcore with similar temps.

If Intel say max 1.5v with proper cooling and most of the vendors let it auto clock close to 1.45 sure Its ok if you have 80-90c on the CPU