Sign in to follow this  
hesynergy

P2A doesnt seem to recognize my available TTS Voices

Any Idea why P2A only sees a limited...apparently limited to "Desktop voices"

LNP7HtJ.jpg

Please advise.

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Apparently, the Microsoft Desktop TTS engine only sees desktop voices.

I plan on researching if there's a way to see others, but for now, I'm afraid that's the way it is.

Edit: After some research, it seems  that I was correct the first time.  Cortana can use mobile voices, but the Windows Desktop speech engine only uses desktop voices.

If I can find something different with further research, I'll update you.

Regards,

Dave

Apparently, the Microsoft Desktop TTS engine only sees desktop voices.

I plan on researching if there's a way to see others, but for now, I'm afraid that's the way it is.

But...but...but Win 10 allows me to use any I showed you in the screenshot as my default voice ...

Chas

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Correct.  Cortana can use any voice.  I have the same situation on my Win 10 machine.  But only the desktop voices are available to applications using the Windows Speech Synthesizer.

Dave

Here's a list of SAPI5 desktop voices  that can be installed by installing Windows Language Packs.  I haven't tried all of them, but I know the Spanish ones speak English with a nice Spanish accent.

Windows 8

Korean Heami

US English David

UK English Hazel

US English Zira

Spanish Helena

French Hortense

German Hedda

Japanese Haruka

Chinese (simplified) Hanhan and Huihui

Windows 8.1 and 10 - all the above plus:

Mexican Spanish Sabina

Indian English Heera

Chinese (traditional) Tracy

Italian Elsa

Polish Paulina

Portuguese Maria (possibly Brazilian)

Russian Irina

And here's a little more detail I was able to dig up:

• These Mobile voices cannot be used by programs that use SAPI5 (i.e. Desktop programs like screenreaders.) [and Pilot2ATC]
  • Conversely, SAPI5 voices cannot be used in Windows Store Apps, which can only use this Windows Mobile system.

Here's a list of SAPI5 desktop voices  that can be installed by installing Windows Language Packs.  I haven't tried all of them, but I know the Spanish ones speak English with a nice Spanish accent.

Windows 8

Korean Heami

US English David

UK English Hazel

US English Zira

Spanish Helena

French Hortense

German Hedda

Japanese Haruka

Chinese (simplified) Hanhan and Huihui

Windows 8.1 and 10 - all the above plus:

Mexican Spanish Sabina

Indian English Heera

Chinese (traditional) Tracy

Italian Elsa

Polish Paulina

Portuguese Maria (possibly Brazilian)

Russian Irina

And here's a little more detail I was able to dig up:

• These Mobile voices cannot be used by programs that use SAPI5 (i.e. Desktop programs like screenreaders.) [and Pilot2ATC]
  • Conversely, SAPI5 voices cannot be used in Windows Store Apps, which can only use this Windows Mobile system.

Yeah that's what I did but I don't see any of those voices on the list that I downloaded and yet each one of them play when I go to test… yeah, I know there is a compatibility problem between desktop and mobile TTS voices; I will look at your list tonight and work on that

Thanks for the great heads up!

By the way, I will have a video of me reproducing Keith Smith's turbulent IMC flight in his Lancair from Manchester, NH to Caldwell, New Jersey. https://youtu.be/GauEr0ENbXM

I did it to see if AS16 reproduced historical weather better than AS Next. I decided to throw P2A into the mix, since this is the first time I will have used it post massive hardware and software upgrade on my flying machine.

Mine will be up on YouTube by tomorrow … it's still uploading on my sucky van with out bound. It was my first successful flight with Pilot2ATC although there were some glitches... Sorry, but it's 1:22:00 long .

Thanks again for your research!

Chas

Reproducing Keith Smith's turbulent IMC flight in his Lancair from Manchester, NH to Caldwell, New Jersey. His original vid is here  

I did it to see if AS16 reproduced historical weather better than AS Next. I decided to throw P2A into the mix, since this is the first time I will have used it post massive hardware and software upgrade on my flying machine.

My recreation is here. 

and Thanks again for your research!

Chas

Above is the YouTube vid that I created with Pilot2ATC  and AS16.

Dave, I don't see any correspondence to your voices cited above with the ones I found. In Win10,  I went to Settings,Time & Language, Region & Language,United States,Languages,Add a Language...all the choices I showed you in the above pix produced ONLY mobile voeces once installed...

What procedure did you use to get the desktop voices?

Also, I think you agree the more voices, the better, and with that thought in mind if you checked on the 

VoxATC site, they mention the following which appear to be public domain...

I quote "

Voices

Any SAPI voice available on your system can be used as a controller or pilot voice. The volume and speed of each can be set individually. VoxATC can also use the open source VoxPop Voices. As many voices as the resources of the system can support may be used with VoxATC.

More Info"

Voices for VoxATC

Any SAPI TTS voice installed on your system can be used with VoxATC. These voices are available from several sources. AT&T Natural Voices come packaged on the VoxATC Deluxe DVD available from RC SimulationsCepstral also produce quality TTS voices.

VoxPop Voices

The VoxPop voices are five open source text to speech voices that VoxATC can use. They are developed versions of voices available for the Festival system. Each voice comes in four flavours:

The base voice itself

Clipped by a low pass filter to make it more radio like

Mixed with background static

Both clipped and mixed with background static

While the voices sound great as RT voices, there are a couple issues that potential users should be aware of; the voices consume a lot of memory and take a while to load initially.

More Info

N.B. If you have problems with my mentioning a competitor, I will be happy to have the Board Moderators delete or I will move it elsewhere.

Chas

The list of voices is from a Microsoft site.  If you have US and GB English language packs installed, you will have the corresponding 3 voices.  If you install Spanish language pack, you get the Spanish Helena voice. 

After you install a language pack that includes a voice (not all language packs have their own voice) you should see the voice in the list of available SAPI5 voices.  You may need to reboot the PC to see the voice.

The voices mentioned on the VoxATC site you quoted are either paid voices or only work with VoxATC.  I don't know that it's helpful to have that on this site as it will have folks wasting time trying to install something that doesn't work, so perhaps you could just edit the post.  There is already a thread on this forum about available voices.

Thanks for posting the video link.

Dave

The voices mentioned on the VoxATC site you quoted are either paid voices or only work with VoxATC. I don't know that it's helpful to have that on this site as it will have folks wasting time trying to install something that doesn't work, so perhaps you could just edit the post. There is already a thread on this forum about available voices

beg to differ...I quote

"Festival offers a general framework for building speech synthesis systems as well as including examples of various modules. As a whole it offers full text to speech through a number APIs: from shell level, though a Scheme command interpreter, as a C++ library, from Java, and an Emacs interface. Festival is multi-lingual (currently English (British and American), and Spanish) though English is the most advanced. Other groups release new languages for the system. And full tools and documentation for build new voices are available through Carnegie Mellon's FestVox project (http://festvox.org)

The system is written in C++ and uses the Edinburgh Speech Tools Library for low level architecture and has a Scheme (SIOD) based command interpreter for control. Documentation is given in the FSF texinfo format which can generate, a printed manual, info files and HTML.

Festival is free software. Festival and the speech tools are distributed under an X11-type licence allowing unrestricted commercial and non-commercial use alike.

Online demo

There are two online demonstrations of Festival, where you can synthesise your own sentences:

Online demo

Technical online demo with more voices

Current version

Version 2.4 is available for download. This is the most recent version available for free and unrestricted use.".

http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/

Chas

I don't see the Festvox voices in your previous post, but do those voices work with Pilot2ATC?  Are they SAPI5 voices?  Also looks like you would need a Linux machine to use their tools.

If you try and install the VoxPop voices, you cannot unless you have VoxATC installed first.

Watched your video.

Interesting.  Wonder why you didn't get the turbulence.

Dave

I don't see the Festvox voices in your previous post, but do those voices work with Pilot2ATC?  Are they SAPI5 voices?  Also looks like you would need a Linux machine to use their tools.

If you try and install the VoxPop voices, you cannot unless you have VoxATC installed first.

Watched your video.

Interesting.  Wonder why you didn't get the turbulence.

Dave

researched Festival...seems their hey-day has passed...the partipating PhDs may have moved on...I think...I emailed them all...we shall see...or not...

Sapi yes

Only Linux...obviously not

I'll keep you posted in the Festival thing.

Yeah...Maybe the his stork goal is not quite as accurate as we would hope.. , .I broke my TM HOTAS Warthog joystick trying to get out of REALTime AS16 weather...

Thanks,

Chas