Sign in to follow this  
yanif

Key assignment not working

I bought PMDG 737 NGX only a week ago. This is my first FSX payware aircraft. So far I am really impressed. Thanks for the superb product.

However, there are a couple of issues that are annoying. Aside from constant CTD's, which I'll ask later. The important issue for me right now is that some crucial key assignments are not working, e.g. F2 and F3 (throttle decrease/increase) or top down view. However F1 (throttle cutoff) works. So it's kinda strange. BTW, these keys are working for other a/c, just not for PMDG. I bet this is a know issue. Please help a newbie.

Hi Yanif,

The PMDG NGX is a complex development and as a result, a lot of the default FSX/P3D assignments will not work with the aircraft.  They do offer a lot of custom assignments though (accessed via the FMC/CDU 'PMDG>Simulations>Keyboard'). However these are keyboard commands, rather than relating to axes style commands, like the throttles.

It sounds like you are using the keyboard for throttles.  I'd dare to say that you will be very limited in enjoying the simulation, without a basic single throttle joystick axis.   Even most faifly cheap joysticks, will have one throttle axis on the joystick base, so I'd suggest picking one up would greatly improve your enjoyment of this fine aircraft.

Bill Last

• Upvote 1

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Welcome to the forum, please note the pinned forum rules here and that full names are required on all posts.

The F2 and F3 key commands are not dependent on the aircraft, they are set in the FSX Controls menu. PMDG does nothing to alter those.  Are you using the keyboard while flying or do you have a throttle controller?  Agree with Bill, a controller even the cheap MS Sidewinder is going to make this easier.  If the throttles in the aircraft are not responding as you expect, there is probably an explanation other than the F2 and F3 keys.

It is really important to fly the first two Tutorials that came with the product, and be sure to at least browse the Introduction.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for the reply, Bill and Dan.

I asked about key assignment for throttle not because I was using keyboard to control throttle (Indeed I think it's sacrilege to do so flying PMDG aircraft, LOL). No. I asked this because pressing F2 is the only way for me to engage reverse thrust in other jet airplanes. I was surprised F2 did not work on 737 NGX. Upon further investigation I found actually there is no response to standard FSX keyboard throttle control F2/F3. I looked through the key assignment in CDU as suggested by Bill but don't see it can be done there.

So actually my question is how do you engage reverse thrust on this PMDG 737 other than clumsily looking down to pull the lever by mouse? I hope there is a better way.

Harry Yang

I use the reverse thrust via the FSX controls menu linked to one of my joystick buttons and it works fine for me. Maybe you could try linking it to a joystick button like I did and see if it works. It not only works for the NGX but the T7 as well with no additional work required.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

So actually my question is how do you engage reverse thrust on this PMDG 737 other than clumsily looking down to pull the lever by mouse? I hope there is a better way.

I have a throttle controller with switches that close when pulled back into reverse thrust. One of those switches is assigned to F2.

Before the Thrustmaster HOTAS, I would push F1 first to make sure throttles are closed then hold F2 to increase reverse thrust.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yea. Joystick button works for me. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Dan, it sounds like F2 is working for you. I don't know why it does not work for me. Do you have payware FSUIPC?

Harry Yang

Yea. Joystick button works for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

No problem, glad it worked.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Dan, it sounds like F2 is working for you. I don't know why it does not work for me. Do you have payware FSUIPC?

It has always worked, even with FS9 and the legacy NG.  Those keys are not a PMDG feature, the assignments belong to the platform. The only trick is to make sure the throttle is closed by pressing F1 before you use F2 for reverse thrust.  FSUIPC has nothing to do with this unless you are assigning buttons to key commands.

Dan Downs KCRP