Sign in to follow this  

The AVSIM Prepar3D Guide topic

I thought it might be a good idea to start a AVSIM Prepar3D Guide discussion topic in which you can post questions, remarks, tips, etc. concerning the guide.

I also thought about this because I had a question about the calibration information. I noticed it is adviced to set the null zone to the lowest setting 1. Now when I do this for my joystick my yoke moves almost all the time, specially to the right. To get rid of this I had to set the null zone to 25 (!). I wonder if I should recalibrate with the null zone at 25...? Or should you always recalibrate with the null zone at 1 and then change settings to whatever is needed to prevent pulling? Does it make a difference to callibarion if you set the null zone to something different? As it is now the guide seems to say a null zone of 1 is the best but I wonder if that is so.

BTW If the mods and/or Rob think it is better to NOT have one big guide topic, please feel free to close this one! Take note that this topic shouldn't be about assistance, support and help for P3D in general (in that case this topic could replace the entire forum in the end :wink: ) but for talking about specific P3D guide topics with the goal to help Rob to make the guide even better than it is already. So my null zone question above is not mainly about getting an answer but to make the information in the guide more clear. If you know what I mean.  :wink: I have no problems with callibration but some users may get into problems if they stick to a null zone of 1 because the guide says so.

Obviously this topic can also be used to point Rob to little typing errors or things like that. Not that I found any but well, I just want to make clear what the intention of this topic is.  :wink:

+1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Simplifying the null zone information for a regular experience is pretty fair, what can you do? The guide is very good and rather nicely lays out several important paths for further study. Remember it can't cover all aspects of each subject and will always lack some detail that may be important to another.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

In the section dealing with Simconnect.xml  it may be worth adding that you can also use your machines name rather than the IP address, this is a much simpler method than using the IP address which can change if using DHCP

<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
  <Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
  <Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
  <Disabled>False</Disabled>
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>IPv4</Protocol>
    <Scope>global</Scope>
    <Address>desktop</Address>
    <MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
    <Port>6811</Port>
    <MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
    <DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
  </SimConnect.Comm>
  <SimConnect.Comm>
    <Protocol>Auto</Protocol>
    <Scope>Global</Scope>
  </SimConnect.Comm>

Thanks Glynn, good to know, still learning something new every day.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I would add that using the device name requires DNS be intact. These days that's most likely all of the time but it is a possible source of problems. Start out by using the IP addresses, and when all is working change to the device names before retesting.

With networking addons it's easiest if the same logon credentials are used on each PC, make the Profile name and password the same on each.

When logging onto Windows we become members of the Users group. When making a folder to install applications onto, remember that these belong to the user that created the folder, not anyone else. To ensure no snags in future with other profiles or logons, add the "Modify" permission to the "Users Group" on the app installed program files folder.

If P3D is installed into the default Program Files folder, add the Modify permission for the Users group on that folder so that addons that expect write permission there can write to their files without special privileges.

Problems from unnecessary path length mentioned in the guide do not manifest from the storage system itself which uses virtual FATs and addresses are all the same. Instead long paths can present a problem with certain apps when they convert relative paths into real paths. In general it's not an issue.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Yea, I have a question... where is this "guide" everyone is raving about? Is it pegged or linked somewhere?

Nevermind... found the link from another site, ha!

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Yea, I have a question... where is this "guide" everyone is raving about? Is it pegged or linked somewhere?

Nevermind... found the link from another site, ha!

From another "site"..?

Inclusion of Arno Gerretsons Autogen Configuration Merger utility :)

Kevin Firth - i9 10850K @5.2; Asus Maximus XII Hero; 32Gb Cas16 3600 DDR4; RTX3090; AutoFPS; FG mod

Beta tester for: UK2000; JustFlight; VoxATC; FSReborn; //42

xaP1VAU.png